Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Default Software recommendations

Setting up a sim rig from scratch. Computer speed and monitor not a factor. Which program? iRacing or rFactor? I'll need to be able to race a 1979 F1 car. Realism is important. On line participation not.

Thanks,
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 231

iRacing has the Lotus 79 which in theory is an extremely close match to what you are looking for. However, it is one of the older cars in the game, and in my opinion, the newest open wheel offerings are heads and shoulders above the older ones in feel. They do sometimes update the older cars to introduce newer tire models which help, but generally I think you'd need to read some specific feedback on the Lotus 79 in iRacing to get a sense of how good it is.

With that said, rFactor is much the same in that the "base" engine is really not what is relevant, it is the quality of the individual car and modifications that determine whether it's the same, better, or worse.

For me, I like the iRacing world and believe it to be good training for my driving, even if not necessarily a perfect proxy to the car I drive in real life.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Thanks Mark.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 447

Here's a copy of a summary I left on Steam about the top sims out there now (Assetto Corsa, iRacing, and rFactor2)

I've raced in real life for 20 years in the SCCA. Other sims don't compare in terms of physics. If you want great graphics, go with Assetto Corsa, if you want to drop into a race online at any given moment, go with iRacing, but if you want the best FEELING sim that gets as close as you can get to the real thing, rFactor2 is what you want to spend your time on. Don't get me wrong, it's worth owning all three sims so that you can drive and race at whatever track you want if it's available. One of the many reasons I subscribe to iRacing is so i can race Pro4 off-road trucks! When I want to improve my race craft and practice real race simulation, rFactor2 is where I spend a huge majority of my time. There's a reason why top professionals in F1, IMSA, Indy all used "rFactor Pro" for their crazy expensive professional sim rigs. Although rF2 is lagging behind in terms of VR support and graphics, it's coming along and will continue to be my go to for sim racing because of its superior physics. I tell my friends who ask me about which sim to get and I tell them to get them all, but only those who have raced in real life will appreciate rF2 the most.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 2

Default Motion sim ware

Ive been racing open wheel since mid 80’s when we raced the EU golden cup and I am also a professor specialized in simulation, vr, ar and mixed reality. I have and use all software for racing sim. The only one and by far is Iracing. It’s a more complicated car setup but that’s what car racing is. Also I have setup a few of my racing rigs on all wares and only one that feels close to my real race cars is Iracing. I have a custom built motion sim with high end VR. Full tactile seat and even wind and smell. Most important hardware you can get are VR. As they give you a better depth and let you take a proper set.

Liked: 9

I would add RaceRoom to the list of rFactor 2 and iRacing.

here Im enjoying some Formula fun at Nordschleife
    https://youtu.be/rRfpC0hEuZU

Thread Information