Liked: 302

Default Road America 2020 Runoffs

I thought that was a heck of a race. Six cars in the front pack for the entire race. The last lap knocked two cars out and that was sad.

There's just not another class any better than FV. It's been true for 50+ years.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Race Fifty Two and a half miles, then all the leaders slow down to a crawl so they won't lead out of Canada.
    The real racing goes on the first 13 laps in order to be in the front pack. Then it's a wild chess game on wheels.
    If you can win in FV, you can probably win in any momentum class.

It is an interesting form of racing. Just saying.

Liked: 1108

It was a great race, but a hard finish in admitting I was rooting for Brian.

Curious what you guys think, but I saw it mostly as a racing accident — though avoidable if Brian wasn’t forced into the middle. But I get it, last lap at the Runoffs and all...

I agree FV gives a great show — always has, and always will.

Liked: 111

Jennerjahn dod a wonderful job of taking that shot out of Canada. Beautiful

Liked: 58

It was a fantastic race. Heartbreaking moments too, but fantastic. Well done, everyone.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Can anyone expand on a possible driving type protest. The FV official results were not available late into the evening. Something was up and I am pretty sure it was not tech related.

Brian

Still the same results as posted yesterday:
    https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_fi...pdf?1602467484

Contributing Member

Posting the final results would imply, if a protest was made, that it had failed.

Brian

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    then all the leaders slow down to a crawl so they won't lead out of Canada.
    Not challenging your judgement/assessment, but what led you to this opinion? I saw a lot of competitors dive bombing Canada Corner on the last lap. I assumed aggressive braking.

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Alex was coming, by himself, 2 seconds a lap faster than the pack. He must have picked up a second just from the Kink to Canada on that last lap (cannot believe the announcers did not see him coming)

When the replay comes out I would love to dissect this. Cannot say anyone did anything wrong, but with 6 racers trying to position themselves for a run up the straight, and no one wanting to lead - too many variables.

ChrisZ

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I’ve decided to bite tongue until I can do the same, Chris. I have a tentative opinion, but.........

Possibly, you and I saw the same thing... kinda wish it were posted now.

Liked: 388

I watched the FV race from the inside of T12. After the pack went through I turned to my dad and said no one wanted to lead. The lead pack passed by at a crawl.

With that many cars, it may have only taken one or two to slow up to try and avoid leading and the whole pack would come to a stop, so it's hard to say really what happened. We'll probably never know. But it was obvious some were determined not to be leading coming out of 12. It's a shame it comes down to that, but I can't blame anyone. It's the nature of the event and track. Much better to happen there then to have some insane and dangerous blocking moves happening going up the hill.

I think Road America should change things up a little next time and move the finish line about 200 yards closer to the hill.

I observed with great interest all the FV sessions throughout the week. I wish I was out there (Thanks for paying up on the bet Rick Shields), but it was also great fun to watch from this side of the fence.

Congratulations to Chris - he's always been strong at the Runoffs when at Road America. He was the one who decided to go for it coming out of 12 and it payed off. I'm very happy for him. He's been a supporter of FV's for a very long time. Also congratulations to Mike Palermo for having one of his engines back in victory lane at a race he attended. He was beaming with joy in impound.

Way to go to the entire FV community for putting on another great show.

16. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    I watched the FV race from the inside of T12. After the pack went through I turned to my dad and said no one wanted to lead. The lead pack passed by at a crawl.

With that many cars, it may have only taken one or two to slow up to try and avoid leading and the whole pack would come to a stop, so it's hard to say really what happened. We'll probably never know. But it was obvious some were determined not to be leading coming out of 12. It's a shame it comes down to that, but I can't blame anyone. It's the nature of the event and track. Much better to happen there then to have some insane and dangerous blocking moves happening going up the hill.

I think Road America should change things up a little next time and move the finish line about 200 yards closer to the hill.

I observed with great interest all the FV sessions throughout the week. I wish I was out there (Thanks for paying up on the bet Rick Shields), but it was also great fun to watch from this side of the fence.

Congratulations to Chris - he's always been strong at the Runoffs when at Road America. He was the one who decided to go for it coming out of 12 and it payed off. I'm very happy for him. He's been a supporter of FV's for a very long time. Also congratulations to Mike Palermo for having one of his engines back in victory lane at a race he attended. He was beaming with joy in impound.

Way to go to the entire FV community for putting on another great show.

The start finish line was already moved closer to the hill when they moved the Pagoda to the outside of the track. The draft on the last lap from 14 to the line has already been greatly diminished. Just an observation from a long time Road America vee driver.
    butch deer

Contributing Member

Butch... did you get to drive this year?

Brian

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Butch... did you get to drive this year?

Brian
    No I'm retired from driving the last two years. I guess 58 years was enough for me. I sure missed it with the almost perfect weather at this years runoffs. When I was at Blackhawk this summer and it was 95% and high humidity not so much.
    butch deer

Thread Information