Liked: 1

Default What starter do I have?

I'm new to Formula Continental, and new to Apexspeed, and I need help identifying my car's starter. I have a Van Diemen RF84, Pinto motor, and it has a Denso starter of some sort that doesn't want to work. After a bit of Internet research, I thought it was from a 1995 Tacoma pickup, but the nose casting is different. The 1kw motor and solenoid are correct, but that's it. Anyone know what Denso part number is used on these things?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrJackson; 10.06.20 at 6:01 PM.

Liked: 225

Default Starter

Please post a picture of your current starter.

In the photo with two starters, the one near the computer mouse is the one I'm trying to identify. The other one is new, from a 1995 Tacoma 2.4 liter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Default Reynard Starter

I can help with this one. My '88 Reynard uses the same starter and I found little guidance available. The trick is to realize you are searching for the body and not the nosepiece. They match the body of a '83 - '87 Toyota Corolla starter.

I've found them on E-bay and here is an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1983-19...item444e95fc7a

They are not a bolt in replacement. You remove the nose piece from yours and transfer it on to the new unit. I have found the electrical connections to be clocked differently by manufacturers and have chosen the Nippendenso units since I can connect the wiring while it is mounted to the block. The key is to visualize the shape of your starter without the head piece and match it to E-Bay photos.

As a word of caution. I strongly advise that you disassemble the new starter and inspect it before use. I learned the hard way that while the rebuilt starters look new on the exterior and they have been rebuilt, all three units that I have purchased have had considerable surface rust on the armature. They must have had been sitting in storage for quite a while. The units will fail quickly if used in this condition. Upon disassembly of the first two that I purchased, it was as if they were full of sand and I it took a bit of thought for me to figure out the sand was rust mixed with grease and grinding away the inside of the motor. I urge you before first use to totally disassemble the units, remove the oxidation and then paint the armature with an armature insulating varnish.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

Default starter

If you want the most reliable fix for your problem call Mac Bushman at 630-279-8834 and have him either repair yours or send you a new one. Unlike most everything else you are going to find, his are reliable. Few things are worse than getting to the racetrack and finding that the new starter you installed just took a dump.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thanks! You've been a huge help. I'm looking forward to getting this thing started soon. It's been sitting for a number of years, and after I get it running and see what I've got, I plan to pull it completely apart for a thorough restoration.

Liked: 141

I have a note that says 16979 or 16827 84-86 Corolla. No idea what the numbers reference. Swap the nose out.

Thanks for all the info. I found a website from Taiwan, johnica.com, that shows 15 pages of photos of the noses of all the Denso starters you can imagine. Mine is from a 76-80 Corolla 1.6 liter. It's a dead-on match. Might need to be slightly ground here and there, but the bolt pattern is perfect. OEM part number is 028000-424.

Thread Information