Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Suggestion - corner workers at RA should leave their day-glo deer hunting hats and jackets at home.
    That might just be their only coats. Kidding. They should be in some type of white outfit so not to blend in or cause issues for spotting flags. Many people including the Purple one have mentioned how background can influence someone's view.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 10.19.20 at 5:30 PM.
    Steve Bamford

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default Yellow flag

Anybody know where I can get hold of a regulation yellow flag? We've talked about this many times, told people to "do better", suggested things that haven't happened, and nothing has really changed. It seems perhaps an experiment might be in order. I want to make a handle that incorporates a couple of LED truck marker-lights, and tip it with a strobe [below], and see if it is more easily noticed than the standard flag. I think the black edging would be good too. Yeah, it will need a 12 volt battery, but I think most corner workers arrive at their corners with 12 V golf carts or cars, so not a particularly problematic issue, I wouldn't think.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ern/1862/4327/
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Anybody know where I can get hold of a regulation yellow flag? We've talked about this many times, told people to "do better", suggested things that haven't happened, and nothing has really changed. It seems perhaps an experiment might be in order. I want to make a handle that incorporates a couple of LED truck marker-lights, and tip it with a strobe [below], and see if it is more easily noticed than the standard flag. I think the black edging would be good too. Yeah, it will need a 12 volt battery, but I think most corner workers arrive at their corners with 12 V golf carts or cars, so not a particularly problematic issue, I wouldn't think.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ern/1862/4327/

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=4153
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Thanks John. Who'd have thought it would be so easy?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 13

Default Wisconsin Apparel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    That might just be their only coats. Kidding. They should be in some type of white outfit so not to blend in or cause issues for spotting flags. Many people including the Purple one have mentioned how background can influence someone's view.

Don't worry. We have Denim too.

Liked: 111

colorful objects near a corner are a problem for me.

I don't remember if it was RA or Nelson last year, there was a truck parked behind the corner station with a yellow kayak on it. Every time I got near that thing, I thought I was seeing a yellow flag. Where it was parked, it made it look like it was right in line with where the corner station flag would be

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    colorful objects near a corner are a problem for me.

I don't remember if it was RA or Nelson last year, there was a truck parked behind the corner station with a yellow kayak on it. Every time I got near that thing, I thought I was seeing a yellow flag. Where it was parked, it made it look like it was right in line with where the corner station flag would be
    There's a marshal station at our track that is the first one not to be manned if we're short workers, and the way it is set in relation to the sun often makes it look likes there's a yellow flag being displayed, so I'm now very conscious about identifying whether or not it's manned, and reminding myself on every session's out lap.

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

reading thru some of the thread here, I just wanted to throw this link in quick for those who like the idea of dash lights. I think this could be a massive help, especially in the age of dwindling corner workers. seems rather simple & inexpensive to me.

https://www.flagtronics.com/products.html

~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    reading thru some of the thread here, I just wanted to throw this link in quick for those who like the idea of dash lights. I think this could be a massive help, especially in the age of dwindling corner workers. seems rather simple & inexpensive to me.

https://www.flagtronics.com/products.html

I’d happily add this to my car, especially with the dash integration.

It would be interesting to know how exactly they are able to draw start and stop lines to each zone.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    I’d happily add this to my car, especially with the dash integration.

It would be interesting to know how exactly they are able to draw start and stop lines to each zone.
    Same.
    There was another company that was trying to do basically the same thing, but used just a small row of LEDs in an even smaller package that I thought would be perfect for formula cars, but they appear to be out of business.

I don't know how this works as far as zones, but I think using GPS & a little pre-programming per track should allow it rather "easily" to know where to activate. Once a track is set up, the main software should be good for all series at a location.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I'm sure there would be endless bitching, but I don't think $149 for this technology is too off-putting.

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 313

$149 isn’t too much until they convert their business model to a MyFlags app with a subscription cost each year.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    $149 isn’t too much until they convert their business model to a MyFlags app with a subscription cost each year.
    SCCA needs to work for the racers and make a long term contract for a set price. This isn't rocket science. If they get too greedy, someone else can duplicate it. It wouldn't surprise me if we had people on this site who could do it. I agree we don't need another "transponder" rip off, but I think we do need a system like this going forward.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information