Thread: Fire system

Liked: 118

Default Fire system

Trying to decide on new fire system for the Vee. After reading the GCR, it seems to say that a car registered before 1/1/09 does not need a SFI of FIA certified system as long as it meets all the listed requirements. Am I right? Also, is automatic release the same as electrical release?. This may have been answered before but I didn't see it.

Thanks for the help,
    Garry

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    Trying to decide on new fire system for the Vee. After reading the GCR, it seems to say that a car registered before 1/1/09 does not need a SFI of FIA certified system as long as it meets all the listed requirements. Am I right? Also, is automatic release the same as electrical release?. This may have been answered before but I didn't see it.

Thanks for the help,
    Garry
    Garry,

The answer I got when showing the updated rules to a tech inspector, is they just got used to looking for the SFI and FIA sticker and if you download the latest GCR is now says "recommended SFI or FIA" for ALL cars....

I got an SFI system and trying to figure out how to fit it in my car (the ones less that 13" for formula cars tend to be on the pricy side).

Maybe a tech inspector or the like can chime in - if I don't have to have an SFI system, do I still have to have it recertified every two years?

ChrisZ

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Garry,

I got an SFI system and trying to figure out how to fit it in my car (the ones less that 13" for formula cars tend to be on the pricy side).

ChrisZ
    My problem exactly. Finding one that fits and isn't 10% the price of the whole car is not easy. The small non-certified systems from SPA etc. are cheaper and seem every bit as good as the certified ones. It's like equipment manufacturers think if you drive a formula car, price is no object.

G.

So let me get this straight, the fire suppression system requirements are the same for a GT1 car and a Formula Vee?

Garry

Thread Information