Liked: 97

Default Where do racers buy street type race tires for their racing?

Hi All, I guess I said it in the title, Where do racers that drive in classes that use street tires or the racing versions of street tires buy those tires for their racing activities?
    Thanks very much for your thoughts,
    Skip Weld

Banned
    Liked: 1116

.dup

Banned

I always bought mine from

www.tirerack.com

Liked: 942

Another source is www.trackdaytire.com
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Another source is www.trackdaytire.com
    Good to learn of an additional source! Prices look very similar to tirerack on the couple I checked.

Unfortunately, it looks like they don't carry BFG, Kumho, Hankook or Yokohama options that many in the open-track day circles like.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Good to learn of an additional source! Prices look very similar to tirerack on the couple I checked.

Unfortunately, it looks like they don't carry BFG, Kumho, Hankook or Yokohama options that many in the open-track day circles like.
    Ok, out here on the Left Coast I have used these guys for track day tires. Super service.

https://aimtires.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Sears used to be a good place, but....

Liked: 97

Default Next Question, How long do spec miata and other tires last?

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the feedback! Now the next question which is how long do the treaded tires the sedan racers use last?
    There is a reason for my curiosity and I thank you guys that have that kind of experience for helping educate me.
    I have a total of 6 laps in a car with windshield and doors so i am clueless.
    Thanks again,
    Skip Weld

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Hi Everyone, Thanks for the feedback! Now the next question which is how long do the treaded tires the sedan racers use last?
    There is a reason for my curiosity and I thank you guys that have that kind of experience for helping educate me.
    I have a total of 6 laps in a car with windshield and doors so i am clueless.
    Thanks again,
    Skip Weld

Depends on the tire, the track, the weather, the amount of track time, and the drivers' ability. It's like asking how long a slick lasts...that would certainly depend on which slick and under what conditions we are speaking about.

A competitive DOT-R tire could be a one or 2 weekend tire, another DOT-R tire might last 15+ heat cycles.

An R7 is a short-lived very grippy DOT-R tire. A Yokohoma A048 will give up a bunch on the watch but will be a longer lasting tire that you could actually drive on the street from time to time if need be.

Liked: 536

Since various groups are requiring 200 or 300 treadwear tires for their series, the manufacturers have developed some amazing treadwear tires with good grip. However, some models are sensitive to heat cycles the way racing tires are, and many actually live longer if the tread is shaved to lower depth, preventing chunking.

Tire Rack is very good about helping buyers find tires and giving suggestions from their testing about what would work well for your particular car and and type of events. They can also provide shaved tires and even heat cycle if needed.

But like has been said, a lot depends on the type of car (FWD, RWD, AWD), suspension settings, car weight, tire size, track condition and your own aggression. Even if you don't end up buying from them, some time spent talking with a sales person at Tire Rack will help.

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Spec Miata Tires

Skip,

Spec Miata tires and "other sedan" tires are apples and oranges. And in Spec Miata you have another apple and orange, Hoosiers and Toyos. Single heat cycled* Hoosiers can last 8 or 9 heat cycles, otherwise they're good for 6. When Hoosiers go, they're good until hot then no grip, you'll spend lots of time wearing out your steering rack constantly catching the car. Toyos can go for 10 or 12 cycles with a second or so gradual drop off towards the last few, drive-able all the way to the end. I've seen corded Toyos win at a regional.
    Other sedans - A tire that works on a B-Sedan and a tire that works on a Mustang are different, call tire rack and tell 'em what you're running and where, they'll provide sound advice and a reasonable price.

*single heat cycled - get them hot, let them cool and don't cycle them again for a week or two.

Steve

Liked: 138

The hankook RS4 is amazing in terms of life and consistency. I've run a full season on my miata, pace has barely dropped and the tires look new still.

They give up a little in ultimate pace but surprisingly not much.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thread Information