Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Depending on what the camber requirements are, you'd probably be maxed out in the front. I think you can get a little over -3 but I haven't measured it. I think the rear would be OK.

Maybe someone has real data.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

CJD

Liked: 597

A thought....let's say final survey is a hypothetical 42 for, 40 against. That's a lot of people to disappoint either way. Maybe there should be a threshold, say something like 65% so we know truly much of FC world wants it a certain way rather than a lot of people feeling like it was a mostly forced thing. But I'm predicting spec tire happens and all we're seeing is the window dressing as a formality.
    I do wish someone would comment further as to why this is happening other than SCCA = whores and for $.....not that that might be true.....like I would know

Liked: 25

Default FC

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Actually, I don't. I distrust anyone who blindly supports SCCA. The SCCA process has many issues, and refusal to acknowledge and seek to reform those issues, is just to the detriment of all the road racing community in this country.
    I agree I don't trust SCCA and the process. It is run by self interest group that make rule changes without any input from the members. If you try to make any suggestions or propose anything that could reduce costs or improve reliability your told don't bother.
    Until SCCA includes the Drivers in the process of rules and what is best for the group the class will keep fading away.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Latebraker View Post
    ...Until SCCA includes the Drivers in the process of rules and what is best for the group the class will keep fading away.
    So, you think sending out a survey to FC drivers on a spec tire is NOT including the drivers in the process?

I agree that the survey was (is) not as good as it could have been, but it IS a request for input from the drivers.
    Last edited by DaveW; 09.27.20 at 9:39 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Regarding the survey, if a radial tire was determined to be the control tire how would that change the setup for a mid 90s Van Diemen?
    You would adjust for ride height and increase camber. If a bias tire is chosen, the radial guys will adjust for ride height, and reduce camber. One would expect that either way, many people will be adjusting for ride height.

There really is no down side. The slow guys will still be slow. The mid-pack guys will still be mid-pack. The fast guys will still be fast. Just everyone will save money. Over time, some underachievers (due to tire budgets) will be more competitive more often. My experience in other classes has shown me that the back half of the grid seems to benefit most, although they often felt most threatened by change.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

8. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 25

Default FC

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    So, you think sending out a survey to FC drivers on a spec tire is NOT including the drivers in the process?

I agree that the survey was (is) not as good as it could have been, but it IS a request for input from the drivers.
    I was talking about how SCCA make rule changes 99.5% of the time. So they threw out a carrot about tires we all know they will pick a tire that gives the best kickback to SCCA which increases the cost to the driver.

Liked: 977

Good afternoon - I believe that the survey for the spec tire in FC has closed, If there is ANYONE who did not receive a notice of the survey and still wishes to participate please let me know and I will try to get it opened back up for you. I can't promise that can be done, but will try. I would expect the results to be ready late next week; allowing the staff to get back from Runoffs. During the few days that I was at Runoffs I spoke with most of the competitors about the spec tire and the majority just wanted what was best for the class; what would help to put cars on the grid. Durability, minimal degradation between eat cycles and cost were the most popular factors to be considered which comes as no surprise.

And, just to remind everyone, when the spec tire was chosen for FF there was no contingency or holdback; all of the funds were applied to the price of the tire which I believe is about $800 per set.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    I would expect the results to be ready late next week; allowing the staff to get back from Runoffs. During the few days that I was at Runoffs I spoke with most of the competitors about the spec tire and the majority just wanted what was best for the class; what would help to put cars on the grid. Durability, minimal degradation between eat cycles and cost were the most popular factors to be considered which comes as no surprise.
    If the conclusion of the survey is to implement a spec tire, is the plan to have drivers vote on a tire?

Assuming the board talks to manufacturers/suppliers to negotiate a deal, can we be given 2 or 3 possible deals to choose from?

Or is the CRB just going to dictate?

Liked: 5

Default Radial Tires

You would adjust for ride height and increase camber. If a bias tire is chosen, the radial guys will adjust for ride height, and reduce camber. One would expect that either way, many people will be adjusting for ride height.

There really is no down side. The slow guys will still be slow. The mid-pack guys will still be mid-pack. The fast guys will still be fast. Just everyone will save money. Over time, some underachievers (due to tire budgets) will be more competitive more often. My experience in other classes has shown me that the back half of the grid seems to benefit most, although they often felt most threatened by change.
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

On Facebook I saw this post and asked, who's spec radials?
    Has this decision already been made?

Attachment 94417

I'm assuming it's the FRP series spec Hoosier since USF is on coopers.
    Factory supplied
    https://www.hoosiertire.com/contingency_rates/f2000/
    https://shop.hoosiertire.com/index.p...-0r13-f2k.html
    https://shop.hoosiertire.com/index.p...-0r13-f2k.html

Basically$700/set. According to the FRP site, the Hoosier Factory shows up (no dealers).

My concern here is that this will change.
    Can Hoosier actually show up at ALL SCCA events?
    Who mounts them and at what cost?
    Will this all change and cost more since they almost certainly need to involve dealers.

The Spec tire that I refer to is, of course, the Hoosier tire that was used in the 2020 FRP F2000 Series, and used by Runoff competitors for the past 2 seasons. It is an outstanding tire, competitive with anything in warm conditions, and not very far off in cooler temps. Runoff talk was that pricing would be down by several hundred dollars per set as a spec tire. Of course, Hoosier is about the only current tire company providing track support to most SCCA events.

I never replied to the FB question as I thought you were an active racer and would know all that.

The tire is durable enough that take-offs can now be given away as useful tires.
    Whoever heard of take-off FC tires before? I have been racing F2000 cars since 1984 and have never remounted a tire, even for personal use.

Liked: 37

Default FRP Spec tire for F2000

The Spec tire that I refer to is, of course, the Hoosier tire that was used in the 2020 FRP F2000 Series, and used by Runoff competitors for the past 2 seasons. It is an outstanding tire, competitive with anything in warm conditions, and not very far off in cooler temps. Runoff talk was that pricing would be down by several hundred dollars per set as a spec tire. Of course, Hoosier is about the only current tire company providing track support to most SCCA events.

I never replied to the FB question as I thought you were an active racer and would know all that.

The tire is durable enough that take-offs can now be given away as useful tires.
    Whoever heard of take-off FC tires before? I have been racing F2000 cars since 1984 and have never remounted a tire, even for personal use.
    Does Hoosier still offer these tires? I couldn’t find them listed on the circuit racing pdf by their part numbers.

Liked: 942

That's been Purple Frog's FC tire strategy for years.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Why is trackside support such a big deal for folks? Seems to me the only time it's needed is when the track does not have a tire shop.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Why is trackside support such a big deal for folks? Seems to me the only time it's needed is when the track does not have a tire shop.
    Which is quite often - some tracks around here don't have anything more than an air compressor, if they even have that.
    Dave Weitzenhof

I get that, but the FRP blurb suggests not having to order tires since they will be supplied at the track. I think that will have to change, but ordering tires and then asking someone who lost the sale to mount them gets expensive.

That's why I asked if they mounted them too. (for the $700)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSmith View Post
    Does Hoosier still offer these tires? I couldn’t find them listed on the circuit racing pdf by their part numbers.
    The links in my post above indicate yes. Not in the circuit catalog because they aren't available through dealers.

Umm. I live in that country west of the rockies. West until you get your feet wet.
    Don't know much about FRP, Southern Series, etc. as it's never been a factor out here.

What about the USF cooper tire?

Liked: 179

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I get that, but the FRP blurb suggests not having to order tires since they will be supplied at the track. I think that will have to change, but ordering tires and then asking someone who lost the sale to mount them gets expensive.

What ever happens with the spec tire you can be sure they won't be mounted/balanced for $700 a set. Typically mounting and balancing are added costs because most regions have there own at track suppliers. For example the Runoffs had Hoosier Tire Midwest handling everything and a dismount mount and balance was $120 per set.

My hope is if we go to a spec tire that the tire is durable and at a reduced cost to the competitors. $700 would be great.

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

I'm giving this subject some thought... again.

And because I'm such a nice guy, I'm always looking for a compromise proposal.

I already have said that I think a spec tire is a good idea. (on the record)
    We have seen that spec tires have not hurt FV and FF entries.
    But, I respect a lot of the counter arguments I've heard.

Also, for the record, I wrote in 2003 that I thought the only folks that should have a say in rules that effect the Runoffs are those entrants that are really going to enter the Runoffs. That said, my opinion is just as a peace-maker and not valuable as a real vote.

Here's today's thought:

I believe the GCR is written mainly with the top 5 cars in every class in mind. (6 years on the FSRAC)
    It is constantly tweaked to control the top of each class. For instance there is no effort to keep '84 Reynards competitive with 2005 Citations.

My thought today is if a spec tire rule was decided upon, it should only apply to Major races and the Runoffs. Every other club racing level can have "open" tires. That said, you could only qualify for the Runoffs all season on the spec tire.

That way guys on the west coast could run Pirellis, folks in the SEDIV could run American Racers, etc. etc. since those folks have no goal to enter the Runoffs.

OBTW, I know of no track East of the Mississippi that has its own tire shop, just saying. Track support is a big deal.

Liked: 348

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I'm giving this subject some thought... again.

And because I'm such a nice guy, I'm always looking for a compromise proposal.

I already have said that I think a spec tire is a good idea. (on the record)
    We have seen that spec tires have not hurt FV and FF entries.
    But, I respect a lot of the counter arguments I've heard.

Also, for the record, I wrote in 2003 that I thought the only folks that should have a say in rules that effect the Runoffs are those entrants that are really going to enter the Runoffs. That said, my opinion is just as a peace-maker and not valuable as a real vote.

Here's today's thought:

I believe the GCR is written mainly with the top 5 cars in every class in mind. (6 years on the FSRAC)
    It is constantly tweaked to control the top of each class. For instance there is no effort to keep '84 Reynards competitive with 2005 Citations.

My thought today is if a spec tire rule was decided upon, it should only apply to Major races and the Runoffs. Every other club racing level can have "open" tires. That said, you could only qualify for the Runoffs all season on the spec tire.

That way guys on the west coast could run Pirellis, folks in the SEDIV could run American Racers, etc. etc. since those folks have no goal to enter the Runoffs.

OBTW, I know of no track East of the Mississippi that has its own tire shop, just saying. Track support is a big deal.
    If there were no regional path to the Runoffs this would be a workable solution. The problem arises because there is that path. You effectively create another regional class OR you may be putting Runoffs seeking competitors at a disadvantage by having to compete against another, potentially better tire. There may also be a complication at events hosting both Majors and regional sessions.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 254

This one confuses me. People don't arrive to the track with tires already mounted and ready to rock? 3 sets of wheels; 1 set of rains, 2 sets of slicks. Is this not common practice? Hell in a pinch I've run to the nearest Walmart to get tires mounted. Track support is convenient (had to use it a few times) but it has never forced into a tire decision one way or the other.

BTW, I marked this near the bottom of importance on the survey.

30. The following 2 users liked this post:

What is the closest Walmart to Lime Rock?

Peter, What about declaring your tires at those mixed events, and putting it in that damn logbook we carry around? Just a thought.

Half jokingly... there already are two sub-classes... the pointy end and the rest. LOL

A spec tire needs to be a spec tire across the board in order to save everyone money and allow people to race wherever they want to race. A "kinda spec tire" does not save money, and just segregates into different groups ..... which is exactly how the class got to where it is today.

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 375

I brought up the tire conversation to every person I spoke with at the Runoffs. Some discussions were productive and some were uncomfortable, but I can confidently say we are never, ever, ever going to come to unanimous agreement. Every single competitor had a different idea (and agenda) over which direction we should take.

Some people care about trackside support, others don't.
    Some people care about longevity, others care about the construction.
    Some people want to be part of the selection process, while others just want a decision made so they can get on with their business of prepping and driving race cars.

Based on my conversations, the bottom line is the class is evolving and things are changing. An open tire rule isn't going to kill the class, a spec tire isn't either. And there are going to be aspects of FC which change that each of us like or don't like (I never thought I would hear pinto competitors complaining about a 20 lbs. weight advantage, regardless of its merits, but so is the world we live in).

Let's face it, if it happens it will either be chosen by a select few quickly, or put out to the masses and 'designed by committee' not so quickly. Each has its virtues, and neither will be the end of the world. But why should that stop us from endlessly debating it on the internet.

Liked: 179

If that were the case then why was a 20 pound weight added to the zetec a month prior to the runoffs.

This only works if the spec tire is a bias ply and not a radial. The point of getting cars to run majors is ease of set up. Having to switch back and forth from a bias to a radial is a pain so all on one tire makes the most sense. Not that I'm advocating for a spec tire, just saying.

Brian

36. The following members LIKED this post:

But that negates the savings aspect and leads to confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    This one confuses me. People don't arrive to the track with tires already mounted and ready to rock?
    I gave up on local shops. Once the "Best" guy in town mounted a front and a rear tire on each of my front wheels. My bad - didn't notice until I got to the track. Had another shop throw a set of Jongbloeds 'in the bin' cause he didn't think they were any good anymore.

So, either I mount them myself or I do it at the track. Balance them at the track too.

I don't run the NorCal tracks, but the only ones with a tire shop out here that I have run (BW, WS, CS, Chuckwalla, Pahrump, Vegas, Wilcox) only BW and WS have tire shops - and I will never let that idiot at WS touch anything of mine ever again. He used a freaking rim clamp on a magnesium minilite and grooved the **** out of it.

I'll occasionally drive to BW (140 mi) to pick up tires between weekends if I have to. Have my own mounting machine and bubble balancer if things get desperate. Here in ridgecrest there's was only one guy with a mounting machine I'd let touch my rims - and 10 years ago he wanted $20 each on/off and another $15 for balance. He was the motivation for getting my own stuff.

Brian,
    I believe the thought process of adding 20 lbs to the zetecs was to make a 2000 VD with a pinto competitive with a 2000 VD with a Zetec. It doesn't help a '84 Reynard be competitive with a 2000 VD.

Anyway, I put up the trial balloon and it is now a big heap on the ground.
    Got some conversation started, and Chris made a good post. So back to the drawing board.

Liked: 127

What is the closest Walmart to Lime Rock?
    Does Lime Rock even exist anymore?

Well, I do it all the time. I'm doing it this weekend as a matter of fact. My son will be on my tires from the Runoffs that have multiple sessions and heat cycles on them. People at Waterford Hills have been using my take-off Avons for years. I give them away all the time. Don't know what else to say about that. Maybe some "Pro" teams don't do it, but I use my tires for many, many sessions. I remount them, flip them on the rim, whatever it takes. I just used tires from Sebring 2019 at Road America last week. I can't remember the last SCCA majors test day I did on stickers.

And, I have a question. If you never use a certain tire, how do you know so much about them?

Rob Allaer
    FC #52

41. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Default This!

Quote Originally Posted by CScharnow View Post
    ....while others just want a decision made so they can get on with their business of prepping and driving race cars.
    I've got a pile of used Hoosiers I'd like to us up but if a change is going to be made, especially if radial, I'd like to know to make the adjustment now/over winter...

Looking at the Pro Series business model is misleading. I would look at the FF SCCA spec tire model if you will want to see how things will work. We used 5 session take-offs to win the Runoffs FF pole as an extreme example. I expect $700 is a bit optimistic, but in the 800s would seem like a big improvement. The initial price is not where the savings comes in for most of the field. It is having affordable tires that don't fall off a cliff after 2 cycles, and which let you race many cycles with competitive performance. If you save several hundred dollars per set, and race twice as many cycles at a competitive level, over time, you are saving $1000s over several seasons. The wealthy drivers can still show up with whizzy aero treatments, and fresher engines, but you have taken a big chunk out of their advantage, and will have a more consistent effort.

While I try and save funds by mounting tires before going to the track, sometimes that is not possible, and it sure is nice to have trackside support when you need it. There would be some irony to taking your Hankook or Cooper or Pirelli tires to the Hoosier trackside guy for mounting or emergency repair.

BTW, I am on record as supporting any FC spec tire. It is that important!

44. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I've got a pile of used Hoosiers I'd like to us up but if a change is going to be made, especially if radial, I'd like to know to make the adjustment now/over winter...
    This is pure speculation on my part, but if a decision is made for next year it would have to be done by the December CRB meeting. Which gives us approximately a month and a half for the Airing of Grievances. It's a Festivus for the rest of us!

This is pure speculation on my part, but if a decision is made for next year it would have to be done by the December CRB meeting. Which gives us approximately a month and a half for the Airing of Grievances. It's a Festivus for the rest of us!
    Be careful - you might get the Festivus Pole - or shaft

Well, the weight adjustment happened mid-year, so "have to be done by" would be pirates code arr CRB code aka a "loose guideline".

Looking at the Pro Series business model is misleading. I would look at the FF SCCA spec tire model if you will want to see how things will work. We used 5 session take-offs to win the Runoffs FF pole as an extreme example. I expect $700 is a bit optimistic, but in the 800s would seem like a big improvement. The initial price is not where the savings comes in for most of the field. It is having affordable tires that don't fall off a cliff after 2 cycles, and which let you race many cycles with competitive performance. If you save several hundred dollars per set, and race twice as many cycles at a competitive level, over time, you are saving $1000s over several seasons. The wealthy drivers can still show up with whizzy aero treatments, and fresher engines, but you have taken a big chunk out of their advantage, and will have a more consistent effort.

While I try and save funds by mounting tires before going to the track, sometimes that is not possible, and it sure is nice to have trackside support when you need it. There would be some irony to taking your Hankook or Cooper or Pirelli tires to the Hoosier trackside guy for mounting or emergency repair.

BTW, I am on record as supporting any FC spec tire. It is that important!
    I think without number$ and testing results from each tire, we (whoever we are) would be making an uninformed decision.

In late 2017 I talked with FC racer Mitch Egner @ Laguna and he had done extensive testing on a variety of tires. I think he ran 8 sets of tires in a day. For what it's worth I believe he ran Avons all 2018 in prep for the runoffs. His comment was that he preferred the Pirelli (durability and consistency) but it wasn't as fast. I don't have his contact info but if anyone knows him he may have data collected on his tests. Would be a good source.

Wealthy racers advantage is testing. It's the money spent on testing. Pacific F2000 restricts testing before an event - kind of a gentlemen's agreement but they addressed the issue.

As for trackside support, since this wouldn't be FRP, it wouldn't be Hoosier factory - but a dealer. And they are happy to service.

As for trackside support, since this wouldn't be FRP, it wouldn't be Hoosier factory - but a dealer. And they are happy to service.
    Not entirely true. When the Southern series started running AR's, we were told by the tire dealer at the races to not bring them under their tent. I was also turned away by two local tire shops because they didn't want the "liability from mounting slicks". So in that vein, I can appreciate why some prefer the trackside service.

I'm not endorsing one over the other because the bottom line is I will make either work, just providing my experience.

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Not entirely true. When the Southern series started running AR's, we were told by the tire dealer at the races to not bring them under their tent.
    And that was the southeast Hoosier dealer IIRC.....(having never seen anything other than a Hoosier truck at any race since about ....oh, 2003-ish when Topless supported the southwest selling just about everything)

Banned
    Liked: 1116

And that was the southeast Hoosier dealer IIRC.....(having never seen anything other than a Hoosier truck at any race since about ....oh, 2003-ish when Topless supported the southwest selling just about everything)
    That may have had to do with a lawsuit between Hoosier and American Racer/McCreary at the time over spec tire deal(s).

Default Decision process?

Since this thread got stale, thought I'd kick the can again.

I have a question regarding the decision making processes the SCCA uses or these things.

Having done this kind of work in my old day job I'm familiar with the classical approach:
    • Determine what the important characteristics are
    • Determine the relative importance of those characteristics
    • Come up with a scoring system (usually based on the economics, but other factors as well)
    • Translate that scoring system into a system of equations
    • Collect the data required
    • Apply an optimization technique to arrive at the best solution, and show the relative rankings of other solutions.

Anybody with an MBA/Systems Engineering background has encountered this, either on the job or in class.

What's the plan, man? What is being considered as metrics for durability/longevity and other aspects? There was a lot of data collected in the survey, but that was all qualitative. To make good decisions it has to get to quantitative at some point.

Assumptions for how many sets of tires this deal is likely to produce for the winner?

And along with that - how are these contracts structured? There's no normal requestor/supplier relationship - the contract is with the club, but the supplier provides tires to individuals.

Does the supplier pay the club for the privilege?

To make good decisions it has to get to quantitative at some point.
    That is a great question. Given the fact SCCA has made this decision for numerous other classes and has not made any process or formula for making said decisions public, I would venture to say there isn't one. It's not a knock on anyone, just the most likely reality.

But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be one. I would highly recommend developing a process/formula and submitting it to those in charge. Given your experience you are probably more qualified than most!

Waiting for the SCCA or anyone else to design and implement one is a lost cause. If we want changes to be made and what is best for the class we have to do it ourselves.

And if the intent was just to point out the lack of a process, then that's a whole other discussion.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information