Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Liked: 6

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I'm just curious that now that folks have had more time with the spec tire:

1) What is the typical performance behavior of the tire? Similar to the R35? (I see Hoosier says the compound is slightly harder than the R35.)
    2) After which heat cycle does the performance drop off really start to show?
    3) Lap times compared to Avons or R25s/35s?

In full disclosure, I drive an older Sportsracer that runs FC-sized tires and given that a set of Avons is now $1300-$1400 I'm looking at various options.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eobrien; 08.10.22 at 5:19 PM.
    ~Eric O'Brien
    A-MAC P2 Sportsracer

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by eobrien View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead, I'm just curious that now that folks have had more time with the spec tire:

1) What is the typical performance behavior of the tire? Similar to the R35? (I see Hoosier says the compound is slightly harder than the R35.)

In full disclosure, I drive an older Sportsracer that runs FC-sized tires and given that a set of Avons is now $1300-$1400 I'm looking at various options.

Thanks!
    I appreciate the lower price but you get what you pay for. Everyone told me that I should expect to be about a second a lap slower than on the Avons.
    In my case it is more like two. It took me a lot of time and effort to get that close to my old lap times. As for fall off it seems to occur
    early on. Each session seems to be slower than the previous but overall my best Sunday race time was 0.5 seconds slower than my best time on Saturday Quali. I will use the tires from the last race weekend for testing or practice the next weekend. They mark the tires before the first Quali. For that I switch to new tires.

I don't know what Avons are going for now but my last set of Hoosiers were $800 before mounting, balancing, taxes and disposal fees
    which brought the total to $1020 for a set. I want my Avons back but I understand the advantages of the Hoosier Spec which is price. I would be happier if there was a one set of tires per weekend rule but you then get to choose the tire you want. That would increase the costs if everybody then had to run Avons to be competitive. My preference but others are happier being mandated to use the cheaper tire, My wife is happier with the Hoosiers and she gets a vote.

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jpietz View Post
    I appreciate the lower price but you get what you pay for. Everyone told me that I should expect to be about a second a lap slower than on the Avons.
    In my case it is more like two. It took me a lot of time and effort to get that close to my old lap times. As for fall off it seems to occur
    early on. .......
    Thanks a bunch. Sounds like Avons would still be a better choice for me if these fall off so quickly.
    ~Eric O'Brien
    A-MAC P2 Sportsracer

Liked: 442

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like Avons would still be a better choice for me if these fall off so quickly.
    The newer avons (222) will run out of tread depth before you feel any drop off in pace it's kinda crazy.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

You do realize that the question you asked will tend to attract people opposed. Basing a conclusion on a single response is hardly scientific.

In the 19 lap 2021 Runoff race, the winner did 1.37 flat on lap 2 and 3, mid 37s on lap 8 & 9, and high 37s for the last 3 laps. He was unpressured from lap 4 and lapping cars shortly thereafter. In 3 qualifying sessions on one set of tires, he did 1.36.8, 1.37.2 (different aero), and 136.9 respectively. All the tires that we have removed have had atleast 50% wear remaining. The Hoosier tire is not only cost-effective, but has outstanding wear, and consistency. It is made in America and has a strong dealer network. Unless you like throwing your money away, it's a no-brainer.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

I agree with Greg,I have run these tires all season and they are not only consistent,they are consistent throughout a Whole Majors weekend.At both Atlanta and The Glen,with some tuning I ran my fastest lap of the weekend during Sundays race.I like the fact that Everyone made it through the Runoff’s at Indy with 2 sets of tires.What’s not to like.
    Thanks for everyone’s support and let’s keep up the positive car counts for FC
    Tim Minorfc88
    Tim Minor

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Thanks!
    2 points:

1. This was a 'dead thread' . Last posts were last year. People have stopped talking about the tires. I think that's a good thing. Means no one is complaining.

2. With the enclosed wheels you will likely run hotter than the FCs. So your results will likely be different. Will they be stickier or greasy? Let us know.

Liked: 597

Isn't there was an entirely different thread here at Apex devoted to a discussion of the Hoosier spec tire when it was first being proposed and also discussing how they worked when they first became available?.....find it, read it.....as memory serves me most everyone who had run them early on had positive things to say including their being fairly consistent. I'll bet this is that thread but I haven't bothered to read all the prior pages lately. Overall, I'm pleased with the Hoosier R60 for an FC as applied to car set-up, cost, life, feel on track. I do wish the rears were the 9 inch I used to favor and not the 8 inch approved but I've not noticed much oversteer because of this. The only thing I can say negative is some rear tires develop after a number of cycles one or two short circumferential splits about a 1/4 inch wide going around the face of the tire maybe 2 or 3 inches long......it hasn't seemed to impact performance though and I've run some like that several more sessions. I do like the hard compound in the heat of Florida late in a race because they don't go away on me.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    The only thing I can say negative is some rear tires develop after a number of cycles one or two short circumferential splits about a 1/4 inch wide going around the face of the tire maybe 2 or 3 inches long......it hasn't seemed to impact performance though and I've run some like that several more sessions. I do like the hard compound in the heat of Florida late in a race because they don't go away on me.
    I've had that on the fronts. Maybe you're getting more oversteer and I'm understeering.

Yes - fine in the heat.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information