Liked: 23

Default A story and looking for a particular picture

Back in 1989 (pretty sure it was) The RCCA worked a vintage event at Bridgehampton. I was a worker at corner station 6, the uphill left leading onto the back straight. Right in front of me an original Ford GT crashed into a tree at drivers left of track. Session got red flagged for clean up and had lots of people on track. When site was cleared race control told me to clear people from track which I did. In doing so went to a very pleasant older gentleman with an English accent and told him to get off the track so we could continue session. Thought he looked familiar but could not place him.

Later the owner of car put out word he wanted to speak with me about accident since I was the best witness. Owner was not driving car at time of accident and wanted to know what I saw. Turned out the "pleasant older English gentleman" was with him and was none other than Stirling Moss! Wound up having a nice long conversation with the car owner and Sir Stirling. My "testimony" and scrape damage we found on track right where I saw car do an unintended left turn proved a lower wishbone had broke causing the accident.

Later in the weekend a picture was taken by Buddy Pugliese of all the event workers with Stirling Moss. Unfortunately I never got a copy of that picture and would love to have it. If anyone out there still has a copy of it please let me know. It would be great to have a memento of that weekend. After all I'm probably the only person in the world ever to have thrown Stirling Moss off a race track!

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Seeing no posts from you, I link this as a FYI — and suggest adding your post here. When I Googled Buddy’s name, t came up:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...dy”-Pugliese

From a Search standpoint, posting on the linked page may help — as might titling this thread ending with “... looking for a Buddy Pugliese Photo.”

Great story, and Best of Luck finding the photo.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I have a copy of the old RCCA news letter "Transmissions" that has that picture on the front of it. When I get to the shop on Monday, I'll snap a picture of it and post it up here.
    As chief instructor for RCCA in 89, that was one of the few events I missed and I remember being pissed when I heard that Moss was there and I missed him.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I have a copy of the old RCCA news letter "Transmissions" that has that picture on the front of it. When I get to the shop on Monday, I'll snap a picture of it and post it up here.
    As chief instructor for RCCA in 89, that was one of the few events I missed and I remember being pissed when I heard that Moss was there and I missed him.
    Great! Thanks glad to hear it. Can't wait to see it. Yes you did miss a fun weekend. Hope the right picture is on there as a few were taken, One had the group of workers from that weekend with Moss the other had RCCA drivers with him. Since I did not get a car and start driving until a few months later I was in the workers group.
    I'd love to get both if possible.

From the Nov/Dec 1989 issue of Transmissions.

7. The following 7 users liked this post:

GREAT!
    Thank you very much. I've thought about this weekend many times over the years and always wished I had a copy of the picture. Now I do. You made my day!

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 536

Girling Foss was a great driver.

(Old guys like us remember him and Bill Dill fondly)

Quote Originally Posted by fv22 View Post
    GREAT!
    Thank you very much. I've thought about this weekend many times over the years and always wished I had a copy of the picture. Now I do. You made my day!
    I'm glad I could help. I will say that going through this issue of the news letter brought back some really good memories of winning my first championship and a picture of my sister cleaning rocks off the tires of my RF81

One thing tho....where are you in the picture.

12. The following 4 users liked this post:

I'm in the back row towards the right with black (now grey!) beard. Alongside of a guy with sun glasses and behind another guy with sun glasses. The guy in front of me with the sun glasses is my friend Paul who came with me that weekend. This event was about a month or 2 before I bought my first race car, a Zinc Formula Vee. I'm still racing a vee occasionally and just renewed my SCCA license since my son is now racing Vee's also and we are planning our first race together at the Sebring Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving weekend,

Another little part of the story is on Sunday we again spoke with Stirling before the days events started. This day we were at the corner station in the lightbulb. He drove several different cars that day including a Mustang and a Cobra and others that I don't remember any more. He drove through that corner as fast or faster than anybody else that day but almost every time he went by he gave a wave and a nod to us. Most others were too busy hanging on and watching the road to do something like that!

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information