Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 482

Default Engine type?

Can anyone edit in what engine each entry has?

John Norton- Van Diemen
    Kevin Fandozzi - Mygale
    Robert Armington - Van Diemen
    Simon Sikes - Citation
    Paul Marino - Van Diemen
    Matt McDonough - Radon
    Brandon Dixon - Citation
    Glenn Cordova - VanDiemen PINTO
    Marc Stern - Van Diemen
    Rob Allear- Van Diemen
    Mauio Fauza - Van Diemen
    Michael Varacins - Van Diemen
    Jeffrey Pietz- Van Diemen
    Lyn Greenhill - Van Diemen
    Brian Tomasi - Van Diemen

Liked: 977

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Can anyone edit in what engine each entry has?

John Norton- Van Diemen ZETEC ELITE
    Kevin Fandozzi - Mygale ZETEC ELITE
    Robert Armington - Van Diemen ZETEC ELITE
    Simon Sikes - Citation ZETEC (QS?)
    Paul Marino - Van Diemen ZETEC (QS?)
    Matt McDonough - Radon ZETEC QS
    Brandon Dixon - Citation ZETEC
    Glenn Cordova - VanDiemen PINTO QS
    Marc Stern - Van Diemen ZETEC
    Rob Allear- Van Diemen ZETEC QS/ELITE
    Mauio Fauza - Van Diemen ZETEC
    Michael Varacins - Van Diemen ZETEC QS/ELITE
    Jeffrey Pietz- Van Diemen ZETEC
    Lyn Greenhill - Van Diemen ZETEC QS
    Brian Tomasi - Van Diemen ZETEC QS
    These are not 100% certain on builders, but an educated guess. Erik usually watches the board so perhaps he can clarify.

Default Brandon Dixon

We have Scott Dixon as the perennial favorite in Indy Car and Brandon Dixon holding a similar spot in all things FC, be they FRP Pro or SCCA. Brandon Dixon's pedigree includes FB National Championships in 2010 & 2012 and FRP Pro Championships in 2017 & 2019. He currently leads the FRP points chase by a considerable margin and should easily become a three time Pro Champion when the season concludes at Road Atlanta if he has not already mathematically clinched. Brandon's trip to the 2020 June Sprints saw a rare mechanical issue (wiring) take him out of the running on Sunday. He did however lay down the fast lap of the weekend, slightly edging out Robert Armington for bragging rights.

Brandon will be driving his Hoosier/PFC/Citation Engineering 2005 FC Citation which will be Zetec powered. Dixon's ride will put the power down through a WRD/Dixon prepped LD200 to Hoosier radials. The Citation features Alcon Calipers and rotors with PFC pads acting as intermediaries. Compliance will be managed through Dynamics DSSV dampers.

Brandon brings a brain trust that bleeds crimson red to wrench and engineer the car; Wren Keith, Cole Frederick and Mile Crabbe- these guys epitomize SCCA racing in that they are never to busy to lend a hand, or a wrench, to get a fellow competitor back in the game.

Brandon is somewhat unique to the class in that he took the venerable Lathrop Citation design and built his own chassis and the vast majority of components that are found on the car (including the wheels)- a stunning piece of machinery.

Below are a few shots of the car in prep for Runoffs - the photo from the rear was shot last evening.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Default Interesting but not surprising -

Brandon was left totally off the Sportscar "Who Will Win" list of Runoffs contenders. He is my pick to win, barring disasters.

And I am in awe of Brandon and his crew. Not only for winning, which he does a lot, but for the way he accomplished it, as John said, fabricating a huge amount of the car himself from scratch. For instance, IIRC, he learned CAD design, programming and FEA ON HIS OWN, and used those + other pro-level skills to do it.
    Dave Weitzenhof

6. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Finally, a report from one of the Citation cartel.

Looks like fresh paint / powder coat on the frame, it is beautiful. Love that black bellhousing also. Always some interesting stuff on the Citations.

Would be a lot of work to get it done in time for most but I don't think there's anyone that works harder than Brandon and crew.

Liked: 95

Default Nice

Nice. Particularily apreciate the mounting for the master cyls. Pretty out of the box. Always been annoyed getting a wrench on when they are the "traditional way". I'll be very interested in qualy between Allear and Brandon. If it's green for the first 5 laps in the race I think it's just those two alone.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Brandon was left totally off the Sportscar "Who Will Win" list of Runoffs contenders. He is my pick to win, barring disasters.

And I am in awe of Brandon and his crew. Not only for winning, which he does a lot, but for the way he accomplished it, as John said, fabricating a huge amount of the car himself from scratch. For instance, IIRC, he learned CAD design, programming and FEA ON HIS OWN, and used those + other pro-level skills to do it.
    Ultra kind words from you Dave. They mean a great deal coming from a champion like you.

10. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Johnson 42 View Post
    Finally, a report from one of the Citation cartel.

Looks like fresh paint / powder coat on the frame, it is beautiful. Love that black bellhousing also. Always some interesting stuff on the Citations.

Would be a lot of work to get it done in time for most but I don't think there's anyone that works harder than Brandon and crew.
    The powder coat was the winter project. So that was together and running already. The engine swap is a last minute thrash, that I had hoped to avoid, but a late engine arrival and work/life getting in the way of race car prep combined to have it a last minute deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc View Post
    Nice. Particularily apreciate the mounting for the master cyls. Pretty out of the box. Always been annoyed getting a wrench on when they are the "traditional way". I'll be very interested in qualy between Allear and Brandon. If it's green for the first 5 laps in the race I think it's just those two alone.
    I built a needle roller bearing brake bias adjuster into the brake pedal, so I needed to use the front mounted master cylinders. That brake pedal has worked well. It is sort of a scaled down version of the Tilton assembly that is integrated into the pedal itself.

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Simon Sikes

The second Citation, according to top shelf prep shop owner and super tuner Greg Rice, was a last minute program. Trust me, last minute or not, this car and driver combination has the potential to put everyone on the wagon. Let's start with the driver - Simon Sikes age 19 - Simon was recently announced as one of the 30th anniversary USA Scholarship winners chosen by Jeremy Shaw and company. Simon will be an excellent representative for the USA, but instead of going to the UK Simon will be running in the USF2000 race at St. Pete later this fall. That accomplishment is just the tip of the iceburg - to grab the attention of Jeremy, Simon amassed an impressive string of finishes in the FRP 1600 class this season: six wins and three seconds out of twelve races; quite a batting average! He also banged out a win in F2000 at Road Atlanta in 2018 and recently held class at Pitt Race in FC during the final SCCA Super Tour Race weekend to qualify for this year's Runoffs. Sikes will contest both FC and FF at Road America next week - don't be surprised to see him on the top step of the podium in both races.

All of this driving talent will be backed up by Greg Rice, owner of Rice Race Prep. Greg has been a long time figure in the small bore, open wheel paddock in North America. He has countless wins as a prep shop in FRP F1600 and F2000 not to mention he is quite a driver in his own right. A few years ago he and super shoe Steve Bamford took the FRP paddock by storm running in both F1600 and F2000. Of particular importance to this post is the experience that Rice gained engineering and tuning the former Robinson Citation. Bamford, who was new to the Citation, was immediately a contender for the gold at every event. Every driver who has since crawled into the grey Citation has likewise been a contender from lap one.

This Citation is powered by a QuickSilver Zetec and WRD prepped LD200. They will be depending upon the Hoosier Radial to make grip and speed next week. This Citation features PFC calipers and pads for stopping power. Rice and Alan Oppel will handle the wrenches. Group 6, Hoosier, Rice Race, Susi Uhl Art and Ruthie's Cottage Rental are the sponsors. Here are some photos of the Rice prepped Citation - one from June Sprints 2019 with IMSA/Trans Am ace Misha Goikhberg.

. B

Last edited by John LaRue; 10.01.20 at 4:42 PM.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Notice the guy in a snow suit (June Sprints) bring your woolies kids!

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 95

Default Response

Very much appreciate the reply especially so close to going. Like the idea alot. Lets hope that the field gets at least 2 of 3 dry sessions.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Notice the guy in a snow suit (June Sprints) bring your woolies kids!
    Yep.

To my fellow, dry-air westerners... having been raised a cheesehead child, October can be bone-chillingly, *shockingly* cold in Wisco. 45 degrees back there feels like 30 out west, add wind and no amount of double brats will compensate.

Windbreakers and winter hats mandatory.

Default Sunday Test Day

It sounds like yesterday's test at Road America was a wash out. The FC's are in Group 4 today combined with FA, P1, P2 and FE. The times from session 1 were as follows:

Mauro Fauza 2:17.922

Robert Armington 2: 18.758

Rob Allaer 2:20.676

Matt McDonough 2:25.689

Brandon Dixon 2:26.203

Paul Marino 2:40.184

Lyn Greenhill 2:44.608

Current weather conditions show 45f and mostly sunny skies. The forecast is for sunny days in the high 50's to mid 60's all week. Saturday (race day) shows sun and 70.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Updates

Keep the updates coming!
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Matt McDonough

Matt McDonough
    , a former F2000 Pro champion, will be making his appearance in the Make FC Great Again/CG SLot Cars/Kevin Kelly
    Racing 2005 Radon which is powered by a very special Zetec prepared by QuickSilver. McDonough has been wheeling the Radon from its inception and has found speed in the car on many occasions. He recently purchased Bob Wright's Radon, but is in the borrowed Paul Farmer machine for this event. This Radon will be sporting some Anze suspension Penskes; Matt's tire of choice will be the Hoosier Radial. Kevin "Magic Fingers" Kelly and Matt's son Max will be tending to the wrenches.

The Radon is always uber quick in a straight line and this should play into Matt's hands this week assuming he isn't too tired after being up watching his favorite flick Driven.
    Matt's usual pre-race ritual will be slighly altered because of Covid concerns and poultry shortages in the Northeast, but he feels confident that with the support of the beef industry the racing gods will look favorably upon him this coming week. And while we don't have any photos of Matt McDonough
    in his Radon, we do have some photos of the Radon to share.

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Sunday Test - Session 3 - Dixon tops time sheet

Session 3 update -

Brandon Dixon 2:13.743
    Robert Armington 2:14.267
    Michael Varacins 2:14.997
    Paul Marino 2:16.153
    Mauro Fauza 2:16.722
    Matt McDonough 2:20.493
    Jeffrey Pietz 2:27.963
    Lyn Greenhill 2:28.041

Rob Allear only turned one lap.

Default Sunday Test - Session 4 - Armington back to the top

Session 4 -

Robert Armington 2:13.168
    Mauro Fauza 2:14.926
    Michael Varacins 2:15.483
    Rob Allear 2:15.807
    Brandon Dixon 2:17.751
    Matt McDonough 2:18.803
    Paul Marino 2:20.967
    Jeffrey Pietz 2:21.861
    Lyn Greenhill 2:25.130

Armington posted the best lap of the day besting Dixon's 3rd session time by almost .6 seconds on his final circuit. Most of the field knocked out 9-10 laps in the final session; Dixon however, after topping the time sheet in Session 3, only put three laps on the board. 2:11's appear to be very possible with improving conditions coming this week.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 597

Radon passes stick test?

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Radon passes stick test?
    It always has, and it was very closely scrutinized in the day.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

I might add that the side picture above was taken before the roll bar was altered to raise it up. I later successfully tested the alteration at Thompson Speedway in a somewhat spectacular fashion. Chassis #6 and #7 actually have a completely redesigned bar to make sure the stick test is passed by tall drivers (a 6' 5" person can fit in one of these).
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

32. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Monday Test All Sessions

Session 1

Robert Allaer 2:14.508
    Brandon Dixon 2:15.444
    Simon Sikes 2:16.877
    Michael Varacins 2:17.992
    Matt McDonough 2:18.133
    Mauro Fauza 2:18.266
    Jeffrey Pietz 2:29.472
    Lyn Greenhill 2:31.468
    Paul Marino 2:36.874

50 cars on track

Session 2

Simon Sikes 2:13.406
    Rob Allaer 2:14.048
    Brandon Dixon 2:14.337
    Paul Marino 2:17.877
    Michael Varacins 2:18.435
    Matt McDonough 2:18.669
    Jeffrey Pietz 2:23.502
    Lyn Greenhill 2:27.590
    Mauro Fauza 1 lap

56 cars on track

Session 3

Brandon Dixon 2:14.380
    Simon Sikes 2:15.098
    Mauro Fauza 2:15.520
    Rob Allaer 2:15.580
    Matt McDonough 2:17.561
    Michael Varacins 2:19.957
    Paul Marino 2:21.007
    Jeffrey Pietz 2:23.368
    Lyn Greenhill 2:29.345

54 cars on track

Liked: 388

Things start getting real tomorrow.

The last few days the sessions have been a compete mess due to all the traffic. It's a big track, but put 60 cars on it with large speed differentials and it's bound to cause some issues.

It seems like everyone made it through the test days without too many issues. I think in all 3 days only one of the sessions was black flagged. Kudos to the safety team for doing hot pulls during the sessions. I wouldn't want to be standing on the edge of the track with 50 cars going by.

Weather today was beautiful, although breezy and cool.

Qualifying sessions will have about half the cars, but i see it still being challenging to get clean laps.

Contributing Member rick payne_75's Avatar
    Liked: 112

I guess we will see who’s on what tires tomorrow. I only know for sure what Armington is running. Good luck Robert I will be home watching and cheering for you. Say hi to Dan. Rick Payne

Live Timing Link includes video from S/F and Turn 5:
    https://www.scca.com/events/1995744-...essions/latest

Liked: 597

I get the same video on 2 screens.......cross my eyes......and I'm watching the event in 3D !!!
    Thank you E1pix

Yeah, I know........I'm sick
    Last edited by EYERACE; 10.06.20 at 5:59 PM.

38. The following members LIKED this post:

You’re welcome.

And Hey, presuming you’re an eye Doc, haven’t you heard your eyes could stay crossed?

Recommend watching Gilligan’s Island, Gingerann is pretty cute.

Liked: 388

What a beautiful fall day it was today at Road America. Someone in the previous session dumped oil through turn one, which made it a mess for our session. There was still a significant amount of oil dry on the line in T1. I actually had some fine oil dry dust on my driver's suit when i got out of the car.

I'm not sure what happened to Rob, but on the first lap his car appeared to die into T14 and he coasted to a stop at the pit lane entrance.

Brian Tomasi did a great job turning his first laps off the week in the first qualifying session after other obligations kept him away from testing opportunities. Same for John Norton.

I had a waterline start to leak and the water temp jumped quickly at the end of my first hot lap. I think i got it shut down in time to avoid any damage. At least the car is still prepped for tomorrow other then a new hose clamp (or 2).

Tomorrow's session is even later, expecting to run after 5pm. The sun will play a major factor into T6 and T8 that late in the day here.

I'm expecting times to drop tomorrow for everyone with a better T1 condition.

41. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the update and go get ‘em, Michael!

Eric & Sandy
    (the Westy travelers you met at Mid-Ohio and Indy, originally from Oconomowoc)

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Are Cordova and Stern not there? They were on the original list.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Are Cordova and Stern not there? They were on the original list.
    Glenn had some family obligations that caused his last minute withdrawl - been there done that. Something he won't regret. I can't speak to Stern's absence. Glenn would have been a factor for certain.

Default Runoffs 2020 Q1 photos

Rob AllaerRobert Armington Brandon DIxon Lynn GreenhillMatt McDonough
    Note the exhaust turn out to avoid the sound meter at the exit of turn 3.
    F2000 Alumni Bobby Oergel tuning on Jeff Pietz' beautifully prepared Van DiemenWest Coast ace Paul Marino ready for action.

46. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Runoffs 2020 Q1 photos v2

Former A-Sedan Runoffs podium finisher Kevin Fandozzi in his beautiful MygaleSimon Sikes provisional outside pole in a one-off FC appearance with Rice Race PrepMulti Time National Champion Varacins

48. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Runoffs 2020 Q1 photos v3

Kevin Fandozzi

Rob Allear

Mauro Fauza

Matt McDonough under the tent

50. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

Some great looking cars! I am trying to imagine how he gets in and out of the silver car with the small cockpit opening.

52. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 44

I find the various front wing configurations extremely interesting.

54. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Jayeff View Post
    I find the various front wing configurations extremely interesting.
    Me too! And that Radon rear... wow...

Liked: 442

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Some great looking cars! I am trying to imagine how he gets in and out of the silver car with the small cockpit opening.
    The side pieces are a removable head bolster by the look of it.

Default 2020 q2

Sunny, cool with a strong breeze.

Allaer 2:12.644 - Avon
    Armington 2:13.174 - Avon
    Dixon 2:14.016 - Hoosier
    Sikes 2:14.497 - Hoosier
    Varacins 2:14.744 - Hoosier
    Tomasi 2:14.767 - Hoosier
    Fauza 2:15.882 - Avon
    Norton 2:16.580 - Hoosier
    Marino 2:17.150 - Avon
    Fandozzi 2:19.343 - Hoosier
    Greenhill 2:24.819 - Avon
    Pietz No time - Avon
    McDonough - withdrew skating accident

58. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

It's supposed to be even cooler tomorrow. I'm thinking qualifying is sort of set with the use of Avons. I don't expect a change tomorrow.
    But, Saturday... weather about the same as today but some clouds. Which tire for the end of the race?
    Money all year has been on Avons.
    I still hope it could be a race.

The driver intros in this thread are awesome, Thanks Again, John!

61. The following 4 users liked this post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information