Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked: 977

Default 2020 FC Runoffs Road America

Congratulations to all of the FC entries at this year's Runoffs!

John Norton- Van Diemen
    Kevin Fandozzi - Mygale
    Robert Armington - Van Diemen
    Simon Sikes - Citation
    Paul Marino - Van Diemen
    Matt McDonough - Radon
    Brandon Dixon - Citation
    Glenn Cordova - VanDiemen
    Marc Stern - Van Diemen
    Rob Allear- Van Diemen
    Mauio Fauza - Van Diemen
    Michael Varacins - Van Diemen
    Jeffrey Pietz- Van Diemen
    Lyn Greenhill - Van Diemen
    Brian Tomasi - Van Diemen

One of the strongest fields in the past 15 years! All of these guys are contenders so it will be difficult to pick a favorite; it should be an excellent race!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/E43072E4-DE76-7EF3-2FD4D40658BC5DC7#class1-E217B980-F414-02DE-345DDBDA2633B1DB

Liked: 896

I know who i would pick!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Default Brian Tomasi - 2020 Runoffs

One of the favorites to take top step on the podium at the Road America Runoffs will be two time (2004 & 2010) Runoffs Champion Brian Tomasi. Brian, who hails from the region, is quite familiar with Road America and holds the all time track record for FC at a blistering 2:11.224. Brian's efforts this year will be somewhat subdued with the loss of his Championship winning Crew Chief/Father, Tony, whom we will all miss. Brian will be piloting his always beautifully prepared #96 Quicksilver/Zetec powered 2006 Subway-Nova Communications Van Diemen on the Hoosier radial tire. Brian's 2020 season has included 3 SCCA events to date.

The Van Diemen chassis has been particularly successful at Road America and I don't suspect it will be lacking this October. Keep an eye on how the cars will be trimmed out. In previous years we have seen the Arms Up prepared cars feature a low slung rear wing combined with the lifted nose and flat plane front wing in search of that ultimate top end.

Tire selection will also be something to keep an eye on. While we won't know exactly what the cars will roll out on there should be three primary options: Pirelli radials, Hoosier radials and the Avon bias. Last year the Avon tire was on pole at VIR, but the Hoosier radial took the top step. The relative strengths and weaknesses of the tires will be on display for all to see in three weeks. Will the radials provide more straight line speed and will this be the ticket? Or, will the bias tire prove more forgiving and be the better overall choice? We will soon find out! This is going to be one of the best FC Runoffs races of all time!

4. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Brian is also one of the nicest guys in the class and has helped me a bunch getting started with gears and setup info. His car is beautiful and well prepared. My car is nice but every time I look at his car I think, damn, I need to get to work on mine.

He also appears to be skinnier now than in that pic, maybe he's been working out?

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Congrats on the car count!

And thanks for efforts to keep things moving.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default FC Only Race

I am surprised that no one has mentioned it, but with a decent FC entry and lots of FMs racing in FX, the schedule now has a 4pm FC race and a 5pm FX race. I am sure the only ones not thrilled with that decision are the early Sat groups who start 1/2 an hour earlier.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Greg - Yes, some of the competitors took it upon themselves to reach out to the Chief Steward. With a little bit of persistence they prevailed and secured a separate race. Congratulations to all involved!

Default Rob Allaer

Rob Allaer, a noted television sports producer, is certainly a contender for the top step on the podium at this year's Runoffs. Rob is not a stranger to the Runoffs podium. He captured the bronze medal in 2013 at Road America. In 2014 he took the gold at Laguna Seca against a tough grid of racers who certainly held superior track knowledge. He was a favorite in 2015 at Daytona when he captured the silver medal and again found the silver medal at Indy in 2017. Rob was well on his way to a second gold medal last year at VIR; he had bested one of the all tie great FC driver's, Tim Minor, for pole and was stretching a lead when his engine let go.

Rob Allaer's 2002 Van Diemen is meticulously prepared and engineered by Dave "Jose" Livingston and the experienced crew at LTD Motorsports who are based out of Michigan. Rob's black beauty will be powered by a Zetec from either Elite or Quicksilver. Rob is one of the few drivers who will likely not make a final tire choice until race week given that he has been fast on the Hoosier club tire as well as the Pirelli and Avon. If you have a chance, check out the custom body work that this car features. Adrian Newey would be pleased.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Lyn Greenhill

One of the contenders from the west coast who is headed to the hills of Wisconsin to do battle for the FC podium is Lyn Greenhill. Lyn Greenhill has not let this CV19 stuff slow down his 2020 season as compared to most of us; he has knocked out six races so far. That number, however, is down considerably when compared to his ironman 2019 season which had him competing in no less than fourteen races! Kudos Lyn for supporting FC!

Lyn is taking full advantage of the simulator and is running laps on iRacing so he should be ready for that first flat out trip through the kink. Lyn's DynaTech Engineering/Red Dot Racing 2002 Van Diemen will be powered by a fresh bullet from Quicksilver that will be putting all of that power to the Wisconsin asphalt through a WRD massaged LD200. Veteran Dan Campbell has tuned the Dynamic dampers to pair with his choice of Avon's. Lyn's mount will be slowed by the Wilwood WLD-20 calipers.

Don't expect any post race blues on this entry; Lyn has been a previous Runoffs Tech guru for FC and will have all of his ducks marching in a row when the greybeards approach!

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member rick payne_75's Avatar
    Liked: 112

It kills me to miss the runoffs this year. First time since 2014. Damn COVID and Canadian border restrictions. Oh well! I will be cheering for my good friendRobert Armington. Engineered by Dan Campbell

16. The following 5 users liked this post:

Default Michael Varacins

Jimmy Johnson, Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty and Michael Varacins each have seven Championships, but only Varacins has a shot at making that eight in 2020! After complete and unfettered domination in FV (8 poles - 6 straight, 12 years on the front row), Michael has joined the ranks of FC and is looking to establish himself as the guy to beat. With his father, Alan, acting as his co-engineer and mechanic don't be surprised to see top shelf results at this year's Runoffs. To win in FV you need racecraft, drafting skills and the ability to maintain corner rolling speed; those skills should serve him well in FC.

Michael will be piloting his stunning LifeLite/Pepperball/Hoosier 2020 Van Diemen which will have the choice of Zetec bullets from either Elite or Quicksilver. All of that power will be put to the ground through a specially crafted Two Dogg, Inc gearbox. Michael found the interior of the Van Diemen to be less than hospitable in 2019, so a completely new chassis has been employed that likely sports some unique Varacins tweeks. No attention to detail has been missed on this mount which is to be expected from this crew.

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Purple wings! Obviously that steps up his game!

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Good luck to everyone headed to the runoffs at Road America. I was shooting the Vintage race this past weekend and if the weather stays the same it will make for great weekend. The leaves were just starting to turn colors, might be close to peak if the weather holds. Great food in Elkhart Lake.

The sun is low in the sky and there was blue sky all day long on Saturday and Sunday.

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by RA4miles View Post
    Good luck to everyone headed to the runoffs at Road America. I was shooting the Vintage race this past weekend and if the weather stays the same it will make for great weekend. The leaves were just starting to turn colors, might be close to peak if the weather holds. Great food in Elkhart Lake.

The sun is low in the sky and there was blue sky all day long on Saturday and Sunday.
    I just bought rain tires to ensure the weather will hold.

23. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    Thank you!

Liked: 388

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Purple wings! Obviously that steps up his game!

Yes, I'm getting desperate in this competitive field. Time to get serious and go purple - chrome purple actually for that added seriousness.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 388

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    Thanks for taking one for the group!

You never know at this time of year what the weather will be. I was at one of the first Fall vintage events held with the Bugatti club with Rene René Dreyfus as the honorary guest and on the day I was there we never saw the sun. I have a neat image of him waving the green flag outside of Siebkens dinning room starting a lap of the old circuit.

When reviewing the images my images from last weekend it looked like the sun in the early morning was in the drivers eyes from turn 12 to 14 and in the late afternoon from turn 7 to 8. Just for the heads up for anyone in those sessions but I am only a photographer on the rail.

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Looking back to the Runoffs on Thanksgiving weekend in the 70's and the stories it generated for many of us "old-timers".

This Runoffs could create a whole new batch of stories about how folks dealt with the conditions.
    Are studded snow tires legal in FC?

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Right now the weather looks very average with slight chance of rain through Thursday

Liked: 127

No, but they will be spec next year...

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Looking a bit like they should be
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Default Robert Armington

Robert Armington is a certain contender for the gold at Road America a week from this coming Saturday. Armington showed his strength at the June Sprints setting the second best lap of the event at 2:13.238 and sporting top speeds in the 140 range. Robert Armington won on Saturday and was on his way to a sweep on Sunday when a lapped car allowed JDC - Miller Motorsports IMSA DPi ace Christopher Miller and Mauro Fauza to slip by on the final lap.

Expect some big speed in the cool temps from this guy in his Premium Power Systems/APEX Promotions/Quantum Consulting 1999 Van Diemen. (This is one and the same car that two time FC Runoffs champion Brian Tomasi set the track record in the low 2;11's) Armington's whip is powered by an Elite prepped Zetec which will put the power to the ground through one of those special WRD prepped LD200's and Hoosier Radials. Veteran Dan Campbell will be engineering and turning the wrenches so Armington will not be short on experience in his quest.

37. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 323

Photos of the cars and some info about the people is GREAT ! Keep it coming.

39. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 313

So where and when is there a webcast? Of is there?

Naturally it isn’t a link on the SCCA.org website and googling ‘SCCA runoffs webcast’ get hit from a decade ago.

Secret Car Club of America

Liked: 375

Default Ante up

Larue is doing a great job highlighting the contenders, so now let’s have some fun (maybe even upset some people) and set the odds.

(Full disclosure, this is an uninformed and lighthearted post. If it offends you, I apologize. But also, lighten up some. It's the internet after all and I’m writing this from my mother’s basement.)

I keep looking at the entry list and rubbing my eyes. Is this for real? Easily one of the strongest Runoffs fields of the past decade. Coronavirus be damned, it’s the Roaring 20’s again and FC is making a COMEBACK, BABY!

Here’s the rundown (in one man’s severely biased opinion):

Armington: Clearly established himself as a favorite after dominating both races (save for one lap) at the Sprints. Got caught out by some traffic on the last lap or else would have went home with double the hardware. Odds: 3-2

Allaer: True powerhouse team. Dave and Jose prepping the car, Don “Smartest Guy in Racing” Conner engineering, and Rocket Rob piloting a cross between a VD/Citation/Mercedes W11. Rob has been THE guy to beat at almost every Runoffs for the last decade and if I had to pick one favorite, he’s my guy. Odds: 3-2

Dixon: Has dominated all year in the pro series, albeit with smaller Covid fields. Now that his engineer is done galavanting around DC eating at Michelin starred restaurants, the big challenge for the Dynamic Duo will be getting the Hoosier tires to work as well as the Avons did at the Sprints, assuming they go that route. Odds: 2-1

Sikes: Young hot shoe is a multiple time pro series winner in both F1600 and 2 liter cars, and is fresh off being named one of this year’s Team USA Scholarship winners. He’ll be driving the Greg Rice Citation that has dominated in the past. Expect him to be up front all week. Odds: 3-1

Fauza: Came out swinging at the Sprints. Shadowed Armington in both races, matching him lap for lap during the second race. He’s another one who should be fighting at the pointy end in one of those LTD rocket ships. Odds: 5-1

Tomasi: Always one of the best prepped cars in the paddock. He was still dialing in the new Hoosier radials at the Sprints but has a few more races under his belt on them since then. Hard to call a 2X National Champion a sleeper, but he will be on everyone’s radar come race day. Odds: 5-1

McDonough: Former Pro series Champ and Radon development driver bringing the car everyone loves to hate on back out to play. He clearly has the speed so will probably depend on whether they can get the tires to work for the Radon. If so, watch out. Odds: 7-1

Varacins: Still only a handful of races in his brand new VD, and has come a long way making his 6’3” frame fit comfortably in a car built for alligator-armed jockeys. (No offense to alligators or jockeys, but I feel his pain) He has a lot of success at Elkhart and we’re still waiting for his breakthrough performance in FC. But rest assured, it is coming. Odds: 8-1

Cordova: Is this the year a Zetec-killing Pinto rises from the ashes like a Phoenix and smokes the field? We’ve been talking about it for over a decade, and rumor has it this engine has all the latest bells and whistles (not to mention 20 lbs. less weight) so all eyes will be glued to Glenn throughout the week. No pressure. Odds: 10-1

Fandozzi: First year in open wheel and he’s already setting times with the best of them at the GLC races. This dude’s got the potential to be a spoiler in a car that is one of the finest F2000’s built in the last decade. Odds: 10-1

We also have Norton (who has tons of laps at RA)
    Marino, Pietz, and Greenhill coming all the way from CA (someone buy those guys some beer!)
    And Stern from the Southeast (who apparently loves Elkhart Lake, or maybe it’s Siebkins)
    *No disrespect to those guys, the bandwidth in my head is severely limited and I just don’t know enough to comment.

A few random story lines to watch: (prop bets, anyone?)
    -At least 5 different chassis/engine combos could win. Which is incredible for today’s formula car environment. What an awesome class we have.
    -Tire choice could be pivotal, Avon v. Hoosier. I already learned my lesson about debating tires over the internet so I’ll leave that to you guys.
    -New upgraded Pinto vs. now heavier Zetec. Will the mythical unicorn Pinto appear like a black swan and save (or ruin, depending on your perspective) the class?
    -October Wisconsin weather. Neither snow, nor rain, nor sleet?
    -It’s the year 2020. Anything is game at this point.

Place your bets.

42. The following 3 users liked this post:

Looking back to the Runoffs on Thanksgiving weekend in the 70's and the stories it generated for many of us "old-timers.”
    Road Atlanta, 1972!

Last year they ran so late. The snow flurries on Sunday morning were awful cold in our tent.

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Veteran Dan Campbell will be engineering and turning the wrenches so Armington will not be short on experience in his quest.

DAN!!!

We love this guy. Worked in a shop with him for a month once, in 1983, brilliant guy doing things his way — and his way works. I first knew him as Herm Johnson’s right-hand in 1976, and take away his gray hair he hasn’t aged a day since.

Just seeing him makes me want to turn east tomorrow. See you all at Indy.

For RA, my personal and sentimental favorite would be that VW guy...

Awesome thread, by the way! Well done for all the insights.

45. The following 3 users liked this post:

Chris,

You are one brave young man.

I think there are 5 possible winners. And when all hell breaks out another 5 that could win. I believe the biggest single factor effecting this story is weather. There is even the chance that one qualifying session will be rained out. But, race day weather will be a serious factor. Looking at recent forecasts I'd be running bias Hoosier 25s. I have seen folks loose a runoffs by staying loyal to a tire brand.

Those English dudes know how to build tires for non-tropical conditions. Just saying.

So many times at Road America its all about top speed. A tire that doesn't have a bunch of rolling resistance. That said there are turns on this course, you have to have enough grip to get a launch off those corners. Track temps near freezing will be what engineers like Dan and Don will be considering.

Historically, during the last 50 years, so many have lost the Runoffs by forgetting what got them to the big dance all season. They throw big off-the-wall changes into the mix because they have so much time to sit around all day and worry about it.

I think this is going to be the best FC Runoffs in more than a decade.

Sterns has to be my "darkhorse" pick. But there is one multi-time FV champ that must understand driving "momentum" cars. Who knows?

47. The following 5 users liked this post:

Default Other things to consider...

With what I suspect will be a fairly tight grid at the front, getting the magical qualifying lap is an issue in my book. I want to be in the first two rows to have a serious shot at the gold. Yes, it can and has been done from further back, especially on a long track like RA with lots of passing opportunities, but if the lead car(s) line up and make time it could be an early tap out.

Each qualifying session is 22 minutes from the time the first car "enters the course" until the checkered flag. Allotting 3:00 minutes for the out lap that gives 19 minutes of green or 8 -9 laps. That is ample time to get the lap laid down, but if you encounter traffic or a local yellow the entire lap is shot. Wading through the FX cars could be an issue if they fall back or begin pulling into the pits. Expect those cars (primarily the old FM"s) to hang up the FC's between 5 and the kink. You also don't have control over catching the right draft. Ideally you will get a free ride off of a passing FA which can be worth a considerable amount of time and hence grid positions. In 22 minutes it is unlikely that they will catch the lead FC's, but they will certainly wind their way through the FX grid and likely some of the FC's assuming a 10 second lap delta.

On race day FC has its own race thanks to some diligent entrants! Lots of distance can be made up on the lead car if everyone stays in line, but the question is will they? My personal experience says no. Also, one has to make a decision as to whether they gear for the draft. This might be the biggest trump card that the Pinto has in that it does not have a rev limiter; it is only governed by the size of the wallet.

Qualifying may go to the team that sits on pit lane for a minute when the track opens. If on your second lap you are caught up by the leading Atlantics... could be golden.

Even running solo in a clean gap may be better than getting caught up in a group of FMs.

A little birdy has told me the new spec pinto is a bit stronger than the zetec on the top end. Could make for an interesting story going forward. Not sure it can be exploited this year. It is another variable in the already complex equation.

All this highlights the fun of a "formula" class in comparison to 'spec' classes. So many choices for a team to consider:

Which aero package?
    Which tire package?
    Which engine?
    What qualifying strategy?
    Whether to have cans or bottles in the paddock?

50. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 323

Chris, you are fantastic! There is just enough slag in there to surely 'stoke someones fire' LAUNCH THE TROLLS !!
    Quote Originally Posted by CScharnow View Post
    Cordova: Is this the year a Zetec-killing Pinto rises from the ashes like a Phoenix and smokes the field? We’ve been talking about it for over a decade, and rumor has it this engine has all the latest bells and whistles (not to mention 20 lbs. less weight) so all eyes will be glued to Glenn throughout the week. No pressure. Odds: 10-1.
    Glenn Cordova... never met the man and don't care that I haven't. This is where my campaign contributions are going and I will take those Vegas odds at 10-1. LONG LIVE THE PINTO !!! Everyone else, get out of the way.

52. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Default How to watch?

It appears FC runs on October 10th at 4:00p, correct?

Any suggestions on how to watch online or on TV? Is that an option? I can't find it after a quick search...

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    It appears FC runs on October 10th at 4:00p, correct?

Any suggestions on how to watch online or on TV? Is that an option? I can't find it after a quick search...
    There is usually a link on the runoffs page.
    https://www.scca.com/runoffs

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Qualifying may go to the team that sits on pit lane for a minute when the track opens. If on your second lap you are caught up by the leading Atlantics... could be golden.

Even running solo in a clean gap may be better than getting caught up in a group of FMs.

A little birdy has told me the new spec pinto is a bit stronger than the zetec on the top end. Could make for an interesting story going forward. Not sure it can be exploited this year. It is another variable in the already complex equation.

All this highlights the fun of a "formula" class in comparison to 'spec' classes. So many choices for a team to consider:

Which aero package?
    Which tire package?
    Which engine?
    What qualifying strategy?
    Whether to have cans or bottles in the paddock?
    Long neck bottles of course! Normally I'd say "ice cold", but with the ambient temperatures expected, perhaps just cool will suffice.

56. The following members LIKED this post:

... and any brand will do.

Provided it’s PBR.

(it IS Wisconsin, after all)

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    ... and any brand will do.

Provided it’s PBR.

(it IS Wisconsin, after all)
    Should be New Glarus Spotted Cow, sold only in Wisconsin!

59. The following 4 users liked this post:

Well played, Sir.

Did a three-day bike ride from Oconomowoc to Monroe to New Glarus once, when 10 (not a runaway but a rideaway, Dad was along).
    Last edited by E1pix; 09.29.20 at 6:16 PM.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Should be New Glarus Spotted Cow, sold only in Wisconsin!
    So tasty! We brought a couple of cases home to enjoy.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default John Norton Jr.

John Norton, a familiar face in the Road America paddock who now hails from Arizona, will be piloting his #02 Pakelo Lubricants Elite prepared Zetec/ 99' Van Diemen FC looking for a spot on the podium next week. John, a 19 year competitor in FC, will be rolling out on the Hoosier bias tire; history tells us that this is an excellent choice and is unique among those entrants that have been featured on Apex and FB. John's familiarity with Road America s and his choice of tire make him a solid contender in 2020!.

63. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information