Liked: 102

Default Folding trailer for open wheel race cars

Store your trailer in your garage, right in front of your car. This is a custom designed single axle open trailer for open-wheel race cars. It is a one-of-a-kind conversation starter.

Race car fit:
    The tire channels are 45.5" inside to inside, 70.5" outside to outside. The wheelbase range for the race car is about 95" to 105". It was designed to fit a Swift DB-1, DB-3, and DB-6. Many other open-wheelers will fit.

It folds up or down in about 5 minutes, using a cordless drill to bolt the joints together. Upright, it stands on the tires and 2 steel casters for easy-roll repositioning. It has a hand-crank boat winch on the tongue for easy one-person car load and unload. The winch was added after most of the photos. Includes a spare wheel and tire. The tires are aged out. 2" ball hitch, flat 4 connector. Includes a flat 4 connector at the back so you can use your race car rain light as an extra trailer brake light. Built in 2012. Includes California title. The trailer weighs 440 lb. No sway, even when provoked. It has torsion axles for a smoother ride. Long ramps ride along on the sides, bolted down. No rattles. Folded dimensions: 75.5" wide, 34.5" long, 80.5" tall.

SOLD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neil_Roberts; 11.27.20 at 7:51 PM. Reason: sold

Liked: 3

Conversation starter is an understatement.

Did you build this? It's an eloquent design for the application.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Default Build

Neil built it and wrote this book among other things l8ke working at Swift but he should speak for himself I guess.

Hybels

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pursang View Post
    Conversation starter is an understatement.

Did you build this? It's an eloquent design for the application.
    Thanks! Eloquence was not intended to be part of the plan. If you see it, then I'm cool with that.

I designed it and my father made it for me. He is the busiest retired guy ever.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Default Super cool!

Nicely designed AND made.

Liked: 1108

I was once sponsored in karting by a company making the “TricTrailer,” a 4x7 folding trailer.

I’ve since thought the same concept could work for a formula car, neat to see someone’s done it. My TricTrailer was made in 1981, by the same guy who then invented the ignition-locking breathalyzer.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 5

Default Size

Confirming the size. Looking at using with a Formula Vee and kart (see attached photo) thank you
    Also are the tires good enough to be towed back to Vegas? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Roberts View Post
    Store your trailer in your garage, right in front of your car. This is a custom designed single axle open trailer for open-wheel race cars. It is a one-of-a-kind conversation starter.

Race car fit:
    The tire channels are 45.5" inside to inside, 70.5" outside to outside. The wheelbase range for the race car is about 95" to 105". It was designed to fit a Swift DB-1, DB-3, and DB-6. Many other open-wheelers will fit.

It folds up or down in about 5 minutes, using a cordless drill to bolt the joints together. Upright, it stands on the tires and 2 steel casters for easy-roll repositioning. It has a hand-crank boat winch on the tongue for easy one-person car load and unload. The winch was added after most of the photos. Includes a spare wheel and tire. The tires are aged out. 2" ball hitch, flat 4 connector. Includes a flat 4 connector at the back so you can use your race car rain light as an extra trailer brake light. Built in 2012. Includes California title. The trailer weighs 440 lb. No sway, even when provoked. It has torsion axles for a smoother ride. Long ramps ride along on the sides, bolted down. No rattles. Folded dimensions: 75.5" wide, 34.5" long, 80.5" tall.

Price reduced to $1000. Located in Valencia, CA. No delivery.
    Last edited by Davidmachx; 10.11.20 at 4:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmachx View Post
    Confirming the size. Looking at using with a Formula Vee and kart (see attached photo) thank you
    Also are the tires good enough to be towed back to Vegas? Thx
    You will need to measure your car for a fit check. A kart will need a plywood platform between the tire channels.

The tires look brand new, and they have always been stored inside. The spare has never been installed. They will be fine, especially unloaded. Trailer tire life is evaluated on age, not wear or miles. Outside storage is probably a major factor in tire age-out.

Liked: 11

"No sway, even when provoked."

Very poetic and evocative with inspiring subtext, all of which creates an allusion to positive things, like solidity, security, dependability, reliability (which all sound like bullet points in a Ford F150 brochure, but I'm referring to bigger concepts...like people...).

Seems like a line in a song lyric..perhaps even in the bridge or part of the chorus (Steve Earle comes to mind). The title of a book chapter perhaps. A t-shirt?

It's the lack of a pronoun/simple verb at the start ("she had"...), that makes the line unique –*and allows the meaning to be "bigger".

Of course, when someone (like me, for example) starts talking about the subtextual "meaning" of a group of words, it all becomes totally subjective. And when people start talking about the subtextual meaning of a few words in an online ad for a racecar trailer, it could also be a sign that those people have too much time on their hands.

So, in my opinion, the trailer's design is not the only thing that's eloquent here – regardless of your (Neil's) intention.

Unless you actually already are a writer, it's never too late to start. And a bit cheaper than other pursuits.

Liked: 9

Thanks! Eloquence was not intended to be part of the plan. If you see it, then I'm cool with that.

I have been on a hunt for a compact, light and elegant trailer for my FC and I think I found it. But unfortunately, it really is ONE of a kind. Would you be kind enough to share the schematics and parts list so I can try to replicate this? I live in the city and my backyard space is quite limited. So Looking at ways to make this formula car hobby work.

Thanks in advance!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

If you really, really want a stand up open trailer I suggest you check out the Kendon line.
    Stand-Up™ Utility Trailer Folding and Multi-Purpose Utility Trailers – Kendon Industries, LLC (kendonusa.com)
    I have their stand up single rail motorcycle trailer. When I first got it I pulled it up to 110 MPH with my Mini Cooper S. Dead stable. Wiggling the wheel back and forth at that speed had the trailer acting like it was part of the car. Awesome.

Have them build it with your choice of floor to keep the spray down; and with 14" wheels. That way you can run S rated Michelin 14" car tires and never have to worry about a failure. Replace the tires every five years as you do on you non-driving passenger cars.

Pricey but if that's what you want . . . .

I really like my Kendon.

Ymmv A small enclosed trailer might be cheaper.

Have fun, Jim

Liked: 0

Wow this seems to be perfect for Formula Vee. I’m two hours from Valencia, possible I can buy one off you to fit a Formula Vee?

Thread Information