Liked: 6

Default Want to get started in Formula 1000

Hello, I'm a recent Engineering graduate and have always had a passion for Formula Racing.

I was looking for any advice or tips to start getting involved in Formula 1000.

I'm from the Northern Virginia area and would be more than happy to volunteer my help to any team just so I could learn the ropes and start getting involved in the sport.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Edit: looking to get involved with engineering, not driving.
    Last edited by FormulaGinger; 09.03.20 at 11:01 PM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

You’ve chosen the best new Club racing class in decades.

Best of Luck in your endeavors. Great first post.

(at first I thought you were wanting to start *driving* in F1000, you are just looking for engineering experience, right?)

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thank you very much.

Yes I'm really just looking to get engineering experience at the moment. I worked as an engineer on a race team at my college and wanted to continue doing that as I absolutely loved it.

Although I definitely wouldn't be opposed to trying driving if the opportunity ever presented itself in the future, but its definitely secondary to the engineering for me.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Formula cars are certainly a great place to engineer, but don't count out the sports racer class. There are some first class prototype cars running that will give new engineers a run for their money. If you want to play with aero bits, well, they've got plenty, especially the P1 class.

Liked: 254

Default Frp

Might I suggest reaching out to all the teams the run with the FRP group. f2000series.com Don't limit yourself to just F1000. While F1000 runs with FRP there's also F1600, F2000, and F ATL. All cars of similar style, mechanical, and engineering requirements.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1397

My advise is to not limit yourself to F1000. Look at other formula cars as well.

I have built cars for several formulas that share a lot of the engineering and even parts. The Citation F1000 was built on the same chassis as the Citation F1600 and F2000. The aerodynamic rules governing the F1000 are the same as govern the F2000/FC. The F1000 also runs on the same tires as the F2000/FC. The big difference between the 2 classes is 30 more ponies under the engine cover and 200 pounds less weight. Beyond that, the engineering challenges are the same. One car will only go 150 mph while the other has been clocked at over 170 mph.

I would suggest that you start you study of formula cars with the setup sheet. Learn what goes into the numbers that are on that sheet for a given type of car and why those numbers are what they are.

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Clarifying my comments that there’s several great classes worth pursuing from an engineering perspective...

FormulaGinger, are you specifically interested in a motorcycle-engined class?

Aside, know I have no specific connection to any class... just a lifetime of involvement on many fronts, and accompanying observation, and thus a genuine regard for your interests.

For your reference, the poster above me has been a constructor since the ‘70s and is a great resource.

Best.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Buy all of the "To Win" books for starters, and then a couple on aero and one of the books on race data analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    FormulaGinger, are you specifically interested in a motorcycle-engined class?
    E1pix thank you very much for your help. I'm interested in all the types of Formula Racing. Formula 1000 just happened to catch my eye as it looks to be at the professional level, but is more approachable than Formula 4 or any of the Formula Regional Series.

I didn't realize there were classes to learn engineering for Formula Racing. Do you know where I can find one?
    Last edited by FormulaGinger; 09.04.20 at 4:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    My advise is to not limit yourself to F1000. Look at other formula cars as well.

I would suggest that you start you study of formula cars with the setup sheet. Learn what goes into the numbers that are on that sheet for a given type of car and why those numbers are what they are.
    Thank you very much for the advice S Lathrop. I will definitely start looking into the setup sheets and try to learn what I can from them.

Do you know where I can find access to the setup sheets? I've looked for information on specific formula cars in the past and I usually haven't been able to find it as it seems most manufacturers want to keep their cars information proprietary.

Also do you have any recommendations on how to get connected with any teams as a volunteer? Should I try to find an email for teams from the series that have been suggested and reach out to them and ask if I can volunteer?

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 131

I agree with others that most all of the open wheel and sports racer classes are great places to start.

You would be surprised how much interesting engineering can be accomplished even on an archaic series like fv.

The other thing I want to point out is that if you are passionate about racing there is no reason you can't turn that into a successful career. It sounds like you were involved in fsae which is one of the best resume builders for aspiring race engineers. The next step is to realize that there really aren't that many of us who are truly qualified for this kind of work, so if you have decent background and are willing to move if necessary you can absolutely find a fun job in the racing industry. You are on the right track with volunteering but don't limit yourself to that.

Of course volunteering is a great way to learn and to network as well. One thing to keep in mind is that it is helpful to find specific areas you can build competence in. This could be suspension, aero, data, electronics, engine performance, or race team which is a mix of all of those with high pressure thrown in, or many others.

I also suggest you come hang around at some races. There is an scca event at summit point this weekend and another in October. This is fairly close to you I think. I might come to the October one and if so you are welcome to come hang out in our pits and see what p2 is all about.

I am not aware of anyone currently looking for engineering help but if you pm me I will be happy to look over your resume and give you whatever mediocre advice I can.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaGinger View Post
    ....I didn't realize there were classes to learn engineering for Formula Racing. Do you know where I can find one?
    I think he was referring to the different Formula car classes, not classroom classes. With FRP, they have, I think, F1600 SCCA=FF), F2000 (SCCA=FC), F1000 (SCCA = Formerly FB now in FA) and Atlantic (SCCA=FA). These are mostly Pro teams, or at least well-oiled teams. It's likely that a lot could be learned with any of them. You may want to see if anyone is close to you. I think Eric Langbein's shop is in Annapolis. Although I'm unaware of any FRP participation, he is very knowledgeable (and a great driver).
    https://www.formularacepromotions.com/

I'm an ME and work for an automotive company but while I was in college, I volunteered for a Vintage racer, later working for another guy who actually paid me! Once I graduated, I eventually got my own race car, a Formula Ford (now Formula F).
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    You may want to see if anyone is close to you. I think Eric Langbein's shop is in Annapolis. Although I'm unaware of any FRP participation, he is very knowledgeable (and a great driver).
    https://www.formularacepromotions.com/
    Mr. Guzman thank you very much for the advice and information. I will definitely try to reach out to some teams close to me as well as Eric Langbein.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Yes, Thanks Garey for clarifying for me.

I wrote a complete reply, a real winner — viral potential — then got a phone call. Post gone, count your blessings.

The important bit, FormulaGinger, is we have a young friend with a fresh degree paralleling yours. I could ask if they’d dialog with you, this person spent an internship with a F1 team, and has boatloads of passion in racing and engineering. No guarantees on their behalf, of course.

Another I’d offer is making a ripper resume; but more so being enthusiastic, available, and a team player. All are critical. Know this is what you want. Never delay what can be done, but never promise what you can’t deliver. It’s hard to do everything right but easier than doing them twice.

Thankfully, this is still one of the few major sports where those qualities can drive you up to the loftiest levels more than other typical pro sports. The best teams share your passion and will recognize it in you. If they don’t, find them elsewhere.

Happy Tuning.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

The important bit, FormulaGinger, is we have a young friend with a fresh degree paralleling yours. I could ask if they’d dialog with you, this person spent an internship with a F1 team, and has boatloads of passion in racing and engineering. No guarantees on their behalf, of course.

Another I’d offer is making a ripper resume; but more so being enthusiastic, available, and a team player. All are critical. Know this is what you want. Never delay what can be done, but never promise what you can’t deliver. It’s hard to do everything right but easier than doing them twice.
    E1pix,

I would love to be able to dialog with the person who got to spend an internship with a F1 team if they're available.

I really appreciate all the advice you've given me. I'll try to craft a really great resume, and always keep my passion up, push forward, and really try to do things right so I don't have to do it twice.

Thank you again for taking the time to give me all this amazing advice, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply this post and give me advice. I really appreciate everyone's advice and input.

This has all been really helpful and I'm definitely going to apply all the advice I've been given.

This is an amazing community and I'm really excited to be a part of it. Thank you all again.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Happy to help. Thanks for being open to others’ opinions, too — that will serve you well.

Please PM me your contact info, and I’ll write them and forward it for you.

You might also update your thread from time to time to build the circle.

Keep the passion and All the Best.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Happy to help. Thanks for being open to others’ opinions, too — that will serve you well.

Please PM me your contact info, and I’ll write them and forward it for you.

You might also update your thread from time to time to build the circle.

Keep the passion and All the Best.
    Thank you so much, I'll make sure to PM you.

I'll definitely try to update the thread as things progress.

I really appreciate you help and advice, thank you again.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information