Liked: 23

Default LiveTiming app in car available

Hi All:

You may remember me but I raced FF in a Swift DB6 for 10 years before I retired (the first time...).

Anyways, I've recently become an Apex advertiser for an iOS app, DriverMonitor, I originally built for myself in my MX-5 and I've found a few sports racers and open wheel guys finding ways to mount a phone in the cockpit and use the app. Its a glanceable in-car live timing app, mimicking the typical pit board but live updated real time in the car. It's intended to complement your dash that displays information to the driver from within the car with data from outside the car (the live timing of the event you're currently in).

Brad Hayes has been using in the FRP FF1600 series and previously in his SCCA racing in his Pipers (picture below). The app is meant to be uber simple in displaying just the information a driver can consume while in the car at a glance: position in class, time or laps remaining or elapsed, split to leader, split to driver ahead and split to driver behind. The app also displays a session status (green, full course yellow and even if you're on the last lap).

Its available in the Apple AppStore, is on iOS only currently and is free to download/install. It is subscription based as I have monthly feeds to get access to the feeds so need to cover those costs; its cost should be roundoff error to a set of tires for the weekend. For old open wheel buddies, there is a free first weekend trial. Reach back to me for details.

More info on the app is available at my website: https://drivermonitor.app

Last edited by TimW; 08.08.20 at 11:49 AM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Looks pretty cool, Tim, but...

...it's not in the Canadian app store; at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Looks pretty cool, Tim, but...

...it's not in the Canadian app store; at least not yet.

Really? going to https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1423694314 shows it unavailable to you? I enabled it to a few countries, but in reality it only works where RaceMonitor and RaceHero serves.
    Last edited by TimW; 08.08.20 at 11:55 AM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Really? going to https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1423694314 shows it unavailable to you? I enabled it to all countries, but in reality it only works where RaceMonitor and RaceHero serves.
    Changing the "us" in your link to "ca" results in a "This application is not available in your region", and trying a search for "drivermonitor" on the iOS app store for me finds nothing.

Changing the "us" in your link to "ca" results in a "This application is not available in your region", and trying a search for "drivermonitor" on the iOS app store for me finds nothing.
    Odd, I've toggled Canada off and back on in Apple's developer tool, so it should be available. It may take a day for the re-saving to populate all the AppStore servers tho. Thanks for letting me know tho, I can't travel there to test
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member

Odd, I've toggled Canada off and back on in Apple's developer tool, so it should be available. It may take a day for the re-saving to populate all the AppStore servers tho. Thanks for letting me know tho, I can't travel there to test
    No worries!

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Next race is August 22.

Liked: 65

Yes we have been using DriverMonitor for a couple of seasons now. It’s a great tool. We find it especially useful in our qual sessions. You know exactly where you stand at all times. The driver can use that information to push when needed, or when to find some open track to go for one more hot lap.

For mounting, we have an iPhone case mounted next to the dash. And before our sessions we simply snap the phone into the mount. If anyone is having challenges finding space in our small formula car cockpits, let me know and I can share more detail and tips for mounting.

BradHayesRacing.com

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Tim, whatever you did worked.

It is now in the Canadian iOS app store.

Now... about this free weekend for your open wheel friends?

It is now in the Canadian iOS app store.

Now... about this free weekend for your open wheel friends?
    PM’d you the details! Thanks
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 110

Hi

This sounds great.

Its not currently in the New Zealand app store (for iphones). Is this fixable?

We usually use Speedhive rather than Race Monitor (95% of all NZ motorsport races are Speedhive). Will it work for this? I fear not.

Any details about fitting your iphone inside a tight cockpit would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark elder View Post
    Hi

This sounds great.

Its not currently in the New Zealand app store (for iphones). Is this fixable?

We usually use Speedhive rather than Race Monitor (95% of all NZ motorsport races are Speedhive). Will it work for this? I fear not.

Any details about fitting your iphone inside a tight cockpit would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark
    Hi Mark:

The SpeedHive feed is not available to developers at this time. However I recently reached out to them for access. I'm hopeful they will make it available and I can support it shortly thereafter. I will be able to open the app to more countries once I have feeds from events in more countries. I really don't want people to subscribe and then not have access to their events.

I will post back once I know more about the SpeedHive event feed.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

When will we see the Android version?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    When will we see the Android version?
    I will build it if they will come. But I don't seem to have enough demand to warrant the effort. I built it native iOS as the original need for the app was to get experience with developing on the iOS platform, so its not portable to Android easily.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information