Liked: 208

Default Fire Nozzle Location

I'm re-plumbing my fire system. There will be two nozzles. One located in the engine bay and one in the cockpit.

Question: Where is the ideal location for the nozzle in the cockpit?

My Van Diemens had it located just in front of the driver on the left side near the bulkhead. My Alexis has it located to the driver's left...near the your elbow.

Your experience is appreciated.

Ralph
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 231

I am having to do this shortly as well and am also wondering the same. I read in an older thread to be careful how the drivers nozzle is pointed and definitely not at your face as it can really hurt your skin in a discharge, even through the fire suit.

I think if I am on fire, it is highly likely it is in the engine bay or fuel tank behind me, so I am trying to aim nozzles at the potential fire rather than just "at" me for the sake of it. To that end, I am thinking about locating one above and behind my shoulders, aiming down and forward. I am also planning on two in the engine bay, basically shooting towards the headers from both sides of the engine bay.

Happy to take some input from others!

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 553

Does it make a difference depending on the agent being sprayed? Like, is the halon spray location different than AFFF?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Does it make a difference depending on the agent being sprayed? Like, is the halon spray location different than AFFF?
    Good question. Don't know.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 39

Every kit that I have purchased has provided a diagram showing the spray pattern. I use this to determine the ideal location of the nozzle so that the spray will cover as much of my body as possible, giving priority to my upper torso as it is less likely fire will come from the front of the car.

Liked: 802

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    I am having to do this shortly as well and am also wondering the same. I read in an older thread to be careful how the drivers nozzle is pointed and definitely not at your face as it can really hurt your skin in a discharge, even through the fire suit.

I think if I am on fire, it is highly likely it is in the engine bay or fuel tank behind me, so I am trying to aim nozzles at the potential fire rather than just "at" me for the sake of it. To that end, I am thinking about locating one above and behind my shoulders, aiming down and forward. I am also planning on two in the engine bay, basically shooting towards the headers from both sides of the engine bay.

Happy to take some input from others!

-Mark
    You should consider aiming at least one at the carb/fuel source, that's what'll most likely be burning....
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    You should consider aiming at least one at the carb/fuel source, that's what'll most likely be burning....
    Good point - on my car, the right side nozzle will predominantly point at the fuel line, but I might route it a little further into the engine to ensure I get good coverage on the fitting between the fuel rail and hose.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 270

Yeah, I too follow the aforementioned targeting of ignition source - header in front of engine, from a nozzle in the top corner of the firewall - plus one aimed at my torso from under the dash, a bit off to the side.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 133

Just a comment to those guys running a motorcycle engine. Installing a Kevlar blanket/shield between the engine and headers is a very smart thing to do. A lot of engine failures tend to throw parts and oil threw the front of the engine and directly onto the hot headers. The kevlar blanket/shield diverts that oil from the headers and lessens the chance or severity of a fire.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farrout48 View Post
    Just a comment to those guys running a motorcycle engine. Installing a Kevlar blanket/shield between the engine and headers is a very smart thing to do. A lot of engine failures tend to throw parts and oil threw the front of the engine and directly onto the hot headers. The kevlar blanket/shield diverts that oil from the headers and lessens the chance or severity of a fire.
    Any recommendations on where to find one? Pegasus doesn't seem to list such a product.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 802

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    Any recommendations on where to find one? Pegasus doesn't seem to list such a product.

-Mark
    IIRC, the imsa DP02's had a similar scatter shield; maybe you could adapt theirs?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 270

Dauntless sells one, which is excellent, I've used in the past:
    https://www.dauntlessracing.com/coll...engine-blanket

I have since worked up my own, as the aforementioned one got some abuse (not from rods) at one point...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 162

My take: Halon 1301 is a "flooding" retardant (expands to fill a void), whereas 1211 is a "streaming" retardant (aim it). IMO, we want the discharge to be near the base of the flame, which usually is the intersection of the fuel and the available oxygen (air). Based on that, I use two nozzles, one at the carburetor and one under the seat in front of the fuel cell. A five pound charge of 1301 will expand to ~200-250 cubic foot, so the highest concentration will be around the cell and the gas will travel upwards and envelope the cockpit. This would seem to be more effective than aiming a nozzle at my body, but I'm not an expert.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bob darcey View Post
    My take: Halon 1301 is a "flooding" retardant (expands to fill a void), whereas 1211 is a "streaming" retardant (aim it). IMO, we want the discharge to be near the base of the flame, which usually is the intersection of the fuel and the available oxygen (air). Based on that, I use two nozzles, one at the carburetor and one under the seat in front of the fuel cell. A five pound charge of 1301 will expand to ~200-250 cubic foot, so the highest concentration will be around the cell and the gas will travel upwards and envelope the cockpit. This would seem to be more effective than aiming a nozzle at my body, but I'm not an expert.
    Interesting. This may explain why the cockpit nozzle in my car is located about where you describe yours. It has merit.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 58

Choose your location with care.

There was a guy some years ago who mounted a nozzle under the steering wheel pointing straight down. When it went off he had to be taken to the hospital with frostbite of his private parts...not a fun experience I'm sure.

Thread Information