Thread: Alignment bars

Liked: 9

Default Alignment bars

I'm looking to fab up some alignment bars for my RF81 FF. I have some ideas for both ends but was hoping to see some pics of what others have done. I have seen some using the top two studs on the Hewland cover, A U channel bolted to the Hewland cover to hold a square tube, and clamps that mount the front to the steering rack. Any other ideas/suggestions?
    Thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

I used two 6ft long, 1" square aluminium tubes to make mine.

I drilled a 1/16" hole through, 1" from one end on both, then slotted a pin through to keep them aligned whilst I drilled similarly at the other ends.

That way I could be sure the holes in both bars were the same distance apart.

I ran a length of monofilament fishing line through, with a plumb-line weight at one end of each to keep the lines taught.

For securing them on the car I located on the gearbox and front chassis, secured with a couple of tight bungee cords, and used a good spirit level to check the horizontals.

So far it's worked well and cost close to nothing!

My caster/camber gauge was a similar low-cost project - I bought a Speedway Motors Economy gauge then mounted it on a length of 1" x 3/8" aluminium box tubing drilled at suitable intervals for different wheel diameters.

I turned two 1/4" hex brass pins to identical lengths and tapped a thread in one end so I could bolt them through the tubing.

The Speedway gauge is marked with 1/8 degree intervals.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

I designed quite an exquisite for setup for my RF95. Plans tomorrow
    V/r

Iverson

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information