Liked: 95

Default Tire compounds: R35A versus R35B

I was looking to order more tires from Hoosier, and apparently there was a compound change from R35B to R35A this year for certain sizes. That struck me as odd, since a few years ago Hoosier moved from R35A to R35B. I'm trying to figure out the significance of that change, such as how the two compounds compare (and whether the new R35A is the same as the old R35A from years ago).

Even more problematically, the size I need for my fronts is now apparently available only in R35B, but the size I need for my rears is now available only in R35A. The thought of running different compounds front and rear is unsettling from a balance perspective.

My tire guy noticed the discrepancy, and he's trying to get more info from Hoosier, but in the meantime: does anybody happen to know what the difference is between the R35A that seems to have reappeared this year and the R35B that's still also being used this year?

Thanks!

Jeff

Liked: 65

Hoosier has a number plate they change out when making the tires. It ends in A or B for that number, be it 25, 35, 45. They swap back and forth from A to B or B to A when there is a change. Put the other number plate on the shelf for the next time there is a change. Hoosier is always striving for a better tire in performance and cost. Mold components cost LOTS of money. It does not make sense to make a new plate any time there is a change. That cost would need to be passed on to the customer. I have also heard they are wanting to get away from the Cwhateverthousand side plate.

If the construction and circumference are the same on that axle, there shouldn’t be a problem. If you didn’t see the number change, you probably wouldn’t know there was a change. I’ve known folks to go out on split compounds side to side with construction being the same of both tires. Harder compound at the corner that will take more abuse. Now, if there is a construction change, then yes, you want the same on the axle. Lots of times you can run different construction front to rear without noticing much if at all. Hopefully your tire guy gets a reply from the call in to corporate and lets you know the details.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 80

I talked to Hooiser and it's a construction change not a compound change so the tire should be the same,

I just looked up Hooiser web site and what tire number are you looking at?

Ben

Liked: 95

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    I talked to Hooiser and it's a construction change not a compound change so the tire should be the same,

I just looked up Hooiser web site and what tire number are you looking at?

Ben
    Ah, interesting. Were you able to get a feeling for how big the change was?

The part numbers I'm looking at are 43164 and 43290, which, interestingly, are both still listed as R35B in Hoosier's 2020 catalog and on some, but not all, web sites. (The 2019 versions of those tires were apparently 43163 and 43294).

Or, since even the part numbers don't seem to be tremendously consistent, the tires of interest were 20.5x7.0-13 R35B and 22.0x9.0-13 R35B.

Jeff

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 270

Good to know, and thanks for sharing - those are the same I run, looks like I'll end up migrating to the A also!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information