Liked: 91

Default Throttle cable build and repair

I recently broke a throttle cable at the bulkhead fitting on the end of the 7mm housing. This piece had an m6 x 1.0 stud on it that held the housing against the fan cooling structure (vintage lynx b).

I have been trying to source out materials for building new cables. I am not able to find these cable housing end pieces, bulkhead threaded rods, for 7mm or 5mm cable housings. I am not able to find long (40mm) cable end 5/32 ferrules to clamp down in the carb.

I am trying to repair this cable to have as a spare and build several new ones as well.
    I am trying to use the existing aircraft s.s. 1/16-3/32 7x7 cable.

Does anybody have sources for these parts? This cable may be decades old and I may need to rework the pedal if parts can't be sourced. The cable goes from a 7mm housing on the carb end to 5mm housing thru the frame to the pedal.

Is there a better way to build this cable today?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_171726.jpg 
Views:	2002 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	93051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_171812.jpg 
Views:	1715 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	93052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_171825.jpg 
Views:	1519 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	93053  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200628_171951.jpg 
Views:	1463 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	93054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200622_134914.jpg 
Views:	1442 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	93055  

Liked: 141

Default Maybe ?

control cable . com
    Kartek off road
    California push pull inc.

Liked: 299

Hi Brian,

I have been making my own throttle cables for years and I use 1/16" stainless wire cable like I guess your aircraft material. I then get bicycle brake cable that has the tyflon lining since it allow the cable to slide easily inside it. While at the bicycle shop you can also get the ends that are adjustable for you mounts at the ends of the cable or take them off any bike that is being tossed. I also made the end that goes into the carb end by turning down the end of a round rod to fit into the standard carb ferrule and drill the other end out to slip the cable into about a 1/2" and using a press crimp it in place. I have never had a failure but you must have a throttle stop at the pedal end so as not to be able to pull the cable out of the carb adapter. I also on my throttle pedal end use a short piece of 1/8" strap with a hole on both ends and use a 1/4" bolt with a fender washer and loop the end of the cable around the bolt and tighten the bolt to hold the cable in place. Also when making the cable it helps to use a torch or TIG welder to cut the ends of the cable which welds the strands together so it won't fray.

The hardest part is drilling the 1/16" hole in the round stock without braking the bit off. I haven't made any for years but if adjusting the cable correctly you should never brake one.

Ed

4. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Default Another Source for Cable Parts

Flanders Company, flandersco.com
    Pro Werks "Silver Jacket Cables"

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post
    Hi Brian,

I have been making my own throttle cables for years and I use 1/16" stainless wire cable like I guess your aircraft material. I then get bicycle brake cable that has the tyflon lining since it allow the cable to slide easily inside it. While at the bicycle shop you can also get the ends that are adjustable for you mounts at the ends of the cable or take them off any bike that is being tossed. I also made the end that goes into the carb end by turning down the end of a round rod to fit into the standard carb ferrule and drill the other end out to slip the cable into about a 1/2" and using a press crimp it in place. I have never had a failure but you must have a throttle stop at the pedal end so as not to be able to pull the cable out of the carb adapter. I also on my throttle pedal end use a short piece of 1/8" strap with a hole on both ends and use a 1/4" bolt with a fender washer and loop the end of the cable around the bolt and tighten the bolt to hold the cable in place. Also when making the cable it helps to use a torch or TIG welder to cut the ends of the cable which welds the strands together so it won't fray.

The hardest part is drilling the 1/16" hole in the round stock without braking the bit off. I haven't made any for years but if adjusting the cable correctly you should never brake one.

Ed

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Google push / pull cables. You used to be able to order to your specs.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Throttle cable

I have had good luck with Pegasus making exactly what I needed.

Liked: 212

Marine supply stores have high quality push/ pull cables at various lengths in stock.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 41

Venhillusa.com has a large selection of cable parts.

Liked: 49

Ditto on pegasus, strong reliable great price had it in 3 days, also can make any end you want.

Liked: 301

Brian,
    I would talk to Pegasus first. Reliable, predictable & fairly local (about 90 min. if you drive up there) or a lightning fast turn-around/delivery if you order online or by phone.
    Glenn

Thanks for all the help. I found pegasus had some of their custom cable pieces a la carte, so I was able to get the 2 threaded pieces I was looking for. I also found some rod stock to cut and drill out for the carb end. The test is if I will be able to crimp them securely to the cable, so far I haven't found a hand tool that can do the job. I haven't had time to look into bits for a press which is my next step.

Also, I thought it would be easier to reproduce the current cable instead of re-engineering the mount points and going to a push-pull cable, but at this point my assumption may have been wrong.

Liked: 299

Well Brian the only thing you need to crimp the carb end to the cable is a shop press. I do it between two flat pieces of steel and just make sure you don't over crimp the end and cut into the cable or it will eventually fail. I will usually take two times pressing it rather than go for once and done. Good luck.

Ed

Thread Information