Liked: 270

Default Recommendations on/pics of throttle cable hookup? '08 GSXR10

Hey all, hoping some can give some good examples of how best to attach a race throttle cable to the GSXR; my install has failed, and I'm having to rethink it.

I had obtained a good custom cable build with a 5.8mm lug that fit perfectly into the stock GSXR throttle cam, with the normal custom race cable build and 10-32 ferrule on the pedal end for the usual rod end hookup. So I was able to integrate it with minimal effort into the throttle body.

But I melted it (after bodywork changes), must replace, and those 5.8mm ferrule ends are no longer available.

So my throttle cable source (Averill) recommends converting to an install that will fit the normal 10-32 cable ends (so needing to adapt this to the throttle cam). I can think of a number of ways to accomplish this, but hoping someone will have or can take some pics of their preferred method?

I'm also considering flipping the cable, so it doesn't go up by my airbox - it's the heat rising off the header that's cooked it, no real shock. I can mitigate the heat, but all the better if I don't even put the cable in a risky area...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

For my old DSR (Both Honda and Suzuki) I used to use a cable designed to be fitted for the rear brake of a tandem bike. The barrel didn't fit exactly into the throttle shaft quadrant but was solved by a little filing. I was able to run this around the back of the engine and away from the header. For the connection to the throttle pedal I used a 10/32 female rod end that I drilled and tapped to allow inserting the bare cable end and securing with a set screw. It did tend to stretch a bit but was easy to adjust.
    Never broke but I always carried a spare.
    Marty

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

I started using these cables.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OKBF1I...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Then I snip one end and shorten as req'd. I have one of these on the end at the Throttle Bodies but you could have it at the throttle pedal as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H52LJSW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Liked: 270

Thanks for the input, guys... measurements revealed I need a whopping 9.5'+ long cable, to achieve the routing I want - joys of a lay-down car and needing to wrap it around behind the motor.

Found a disturbingly inexpensive cable on Amazon; no high-temp options, but the ends at the throttle will be right, just need to put a different end on it.

And if this doesn't work, then I get to dive into massive reengineering and work up some fancy linkage. But hopefully I can avoid...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information