Liked: 0

Default 2000 Formula SAE

Hey folks!

Have a very unique Autox legend available. Originally built by the team at the University of Florida back in 2000 this little FTD king is still strutting it’s stuff 20 years later.

Built when rules were a little more relaxed you’ll immediately notice a fully aluminum frame powered by an unrestricted Honda CBR 600. Everything mechanical works as it should. She’s been sitting for about a year(reason for sale unfortunately not being used as it should) but would feel confident in hopping into an Autox this very weekend. Starts right up every time and is always the talk of the lot.

Included are a variety of spare parts and the CAD files for the entire car. Break something and you’re not screwed! Located in White Plains, NY. Asking $6k obo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Formula SAE

Liked: 8

I assume this runs in A-mod (solo) , since it doesnt have the inlet restrictors?

Liked: 310

To be in AM, it must weigh 900 pounds with driver and have a wheelbase at least 72" and meet all other AM rules.

Did this car have (what look like) Wilwood calipers on it when you bought it?

Is the oil pan billet aluminum?

Editted to ask: Did the car have a fuel injection system with a boxy intake manifold on it when you bought it?

Thanks,
    AP
    Last edited by APinSoFla; 06.27.20 at 3:24 PM.

Liked: 8

What is the wheelbase on this car?

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Wheelbase

FSAE cars have a mandated maximum wheelbase of 60".

SCCA has a FSAE class, which is a sub-class of AM, and any FSAE car is eligible assuming it has passed tech at a FSAE event and still has the restrictor in place. Very few regions check for the restrictors, and there are several competing without one.

I have driven these cars without a restrictor, and OMG they are incredible. Even with the restrictor, they are a blast. The biggest issue is durability as these vehicles were designed by students and had a very short, if any, development time frame, so you might have to fix or redesign some components and continue on the vehicle development path. That does not appear to be the case with this particular vehicle as it appears to have been competing for a number of years.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Wheelbase - FSAE

FSAE cars are built to a particular set of rules for the year of construction. I am currently restoring a FSAE car from 1998 and the rules for that year stated that the car must have a minimum wheelbase of 60". My actual car is a little unusual for FSAE and has a 72" wheelbase so it could also compete as AM with a 900 lb. minimum weight.

Liked: 65

FSAE has to be built to a set year rules for FSAE 1985-on. Otherwise, I would have shown up with 1981 rules built vehicle, and so would many others. Section 18.5 of the solo rules covers it, and you have to have all the rules for the year FSAE it is built to when asked to verify its compliance. Some years might be better than others.

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default I stand corrected

Brian is correct....the minimum wheelbase is 60", which was put into place to eliminate karts from being used. The rules also state a minimum of 1" of suspension movement, again for the same purpose.

Most cars are built to the minimum wheelbase for packaging and weight considerations, which obviously makes them technically illegal for A-Mod, which is why the FSAE class is a sub-class of AM.

Since here in the Detroit area, we are blessed with an abundance of FSAE teams, most of which would like to campaign their cars in our local auto-x during the summer month, provided the school allows them to do so. One limitation for them is the 2 driver per car per class rule, which limits the number of drivers that they can have at an event. We work around that by allowing the FSAE class to run multiple heats, so that the teams can run 2 drivers per car per heat, and if we are running 4 heats, the team is eligible to run 8 drivers total. This makes it much more desirable for the teams to bring the cars out for an event. Add in that we could potentially have 8 local teams at any given event, and the FSAE class becomes rather strong, to everyone's benefit. We would hope that other SCCA regions and car club would do the same to help promote the program and their auto-x events.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Wow! Didn’t see all these posts, you guys know way more than I ever did. All I know is this car has been a total riot of fun for me. Time to serve the same purpose with someone else. I can be more easily reached via text at 914-447-6782.

2000 Formula SAE

Pending Sale.

2000 Formula SAE

Sold!

2000 Formula SAE

Thread Information