Liked: 7

Default Identify this wheel

I have 6 of these mag wheels that came with a FB car I bought 40 years ago. They are 13 x 5.5" with 3.75" and 4.0" PCD. Probably for a FF car. Can anybody identify a manufacturer so I know what I have?

edited on 4-14-21

The FB car is a Brabham BT21C and it did have Triumph front hubs (3.75" PCD) and the normal BT21C rear uprite and hub (4.00" PCD). The front hubs are now alloy hubs with 4.00" PCD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by macbt21; 04.14.21 at 9:09 PM.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Vector?

Look very similar to Vector rims that I had on some Europa's back in early 70's.... 3 3/4" bc. (spit) would be right, 4" (Sprite) doesn't make sense...but could be aftermarket for GP Midgets...

Bob L.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by macbt21 View Post
    I have 6 of these mag wheels that came with a FB car I bought 40 years ago. They are 13 x 5.5" with 3.75" and 4.0" PCD. Probably for a FF car. Can anybody identify a manufacturer so I know what I have?
    If they came with your car, it would make sense that the fronts were for the standard Triumph front upright used on a lot of early FFs, and the rear 4" PCD were from a donor car's rear upright/hub assy. Or vice versa.

As others suggested, found pictures of Legrand wheels that look like that.
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 06.23.20 at 7:37 PM.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 162

Pretty sure they are LeGrand wheels. If so they are magnesium, light and desirable.

Liked: 139

Search Legrand on the site. Plenty of photos of the wheels.

Liked: 27

Default Legrand Wheels

I got an FB Titan too many years ago and the rear wheels, though 13 x 14, resemble these and actually have Legrand on the center ring.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Do look like LeGrands, but appear to have an extra web towards the backside of the spoke, that my LeGrands didn't have.
    Of course could just be difference in mfgr. details.... these came on the front of my Lotus 23...now surplus. 3 3/4" bc. real mag.

Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 7

Default Identify these wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bob darcey View Post
    Pretty sure they are LeGrand wheels. If so they are magnesium, light and desirable.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'm always amazed at the deep knowledge base the users of this site have. After doing some googling I agree they are most likely LeGrand FF wheels. They are definitely magnesium as well. 4 of the wheels have been glass beaded and treated with Dow 7 and are ready for paint. Now I need to figure out what to do with them.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

Here is a LeGrand MK10 Formula Ford with a similar set of wheels.

Liked: 1

Probably not LeGrand wheels, I don't believe Red made a FF wheel. He didn't have a pattern modification for his traditional mag. wheels in 5.5" width. He sold modified Corvair rims w/pressed steel center, chromed, for MK10 FF's. The traditional Legrand 13" diameter had, 6", 7", 9.5",11" &14"widths. He also had a 10" dia. and 12" dia. available only in 5" width. Usually, "LEGRAND", his part # and either a date code or heat # was cast into the wheels, narrow wheels between the spokes on the outer rim, wider wheels around the lip of the hub. Sometimes not all info got cast in, typically you see all the info. on the narrower older wheels and sometimes only the LEGRAND name on the wider "newer" wheels.
    I have seen several knock-offs of Legrand, easy to mistake for the originals. The giveaway is typically with 6 spokes, they don't taper from back to front and/or don't extended fully to the outer rim.

Interestingly, his Convair wheels were sold w/3/8" 3.75" pattern for the front and rears w/ 7/16" 4.00".

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information