Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 530

It took James Davison 31 seconds to get out with two safety crew helping after he stopped his car. No thanks!

Liked: 295

It might take that long with no windshield.

Liked: 536

Rossi was out of his car pretty quick. The hangup seems to be the air hose, sometimes.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Rossi was out of his car pretty quick. The hangup seems to be the air hose, sometimes.
    Looked like everybody was having trouble with the air hose and the radio connections.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Looked like everybody was having trouble with the air hose and the radio connections.

Seems this is a great time for a magnetic coupler at the car or helmet. Small flange with a few just-strong-enough magnets. That does seem to be the big hold up, not the windscreen.

Liked: 281

Most use a magnetic hose coupler.
    Believe me, if they have to get out quick, they can.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    Most use a magnetic hose coupler.
    Believe me, if they have to get out quick, they can.

Interesting, because they all seem to struggle getting it off of the helmet or if they stand up, the hose just begins to unravel

Liked: 268

Default windscreens

I believe if the top of the screen was black or something like that instead of painted and loaded with lettering it would allow somewhat better visual appearance and would make it possible to get a better view of the driver at work. Now it reminds me of the midgets and sprint cars with the covering around the cockpit and makes them look more like modifieds than open cars. As someone wrote the side view isn't bad but the frontal view leaves plenty to be desired probably without any real solution. Even in F1 the cars with the halo left as carbon color somehow gives the illusion that its not there as compared with those painted the same color as the body.

Liked: 268

Default Davisons exploding wheel

Any one who saw the front wheel on Davisons car that apparently had the caliper locked up until everything combusted should be reminded of the similar situation we had in the FA series. Usually in the formation lap guys would try to get heat into the brakes and on occasion when lining up for the standing start would find a wheel locked up and as panic on the grid would set in the only solution was to crack the bleeder on that wheel then everything was fine. It didn't happen very often and it didn't matter how good any team might have been as it was pretty random and thankfully pretty rare. Happened to me once and other than the obvious I never really heard an explanation as to why or how! In Davisons case they never stopped so the power was able to overcome the caliper (for awhile) until all hell broke loose. Maybe the same problem we all had?

Liked: 3294

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Any one who saw the front wheel on Davisons car that apparently had the caliper locked up until everything combusted should be reminded of the similar situation we had in the FA series. Usually in the formation lap guys would try to get heat into the brakes and on occasion when lining up for the standing start would find a wheel locked up and as panic on the grid would set in the only solution was to crack the bleeder on that wheel then everything was fine. It didn't happen very often and it didn't matter how good any team might have been as it was pretty random and thankfully pretty rare. Happened to me once and other than the obvious I never really heard an explanation as to why or how! In Davisons case they never stopped so the power was able to overcome the caliper (for awhile) until all hell broke loose. Maybe the same problem we all had?
    That type of caliper lockup is usually caused by heating up the pads and rotor and then holding the brake pedal down enough to prevent or slow car motion. While one is holding the pedal in that fashion, it's enough to close off the opening from the master cylinder to its reservoir. Doing that while the pads and rotor are hot will expand the trapped brake fluid enough to cause a lockup.

I've had that scenario while waiting to leave the pits after a black-flag-all situation. I also had a similar situation in my tow vehicle when the check orifice wouldn't open when the pedal was released. In both cases, releasing fluid pressure was the only solution.
    Dave Weitzenhof

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

Default mosley and ejection seats

God what a moron. He has no concept (and I don't care how creative F1 guys are, it's just physics) of how much power is in a seat. A zero/zero seat has to push you 200+ feet in the air. You are going to lose a half-inch of height from the g and are likely to be injured on the landing as well. There's no way to know where you are going to come down. The seats have to be safed and armed and screw up while maintaining them and you're gonna die.

I suppose they could just pop you out of the car with no other protection and leave you to flail injuries, like jumping a superbike off a bridge......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    God what a moron. He has no concept (and I don't care how creative F1 guys are, it's just physics) of how much power is in a seat. A zero/zero seat has to push you 200+ feet in the air. You are going to lose a half-inch of height from the g and are likely to be injured on the landing as well. There's no way to know where you are going to come down. The seats have to be safed and armed and screw up while maintaining them and you're gonna die.

I suppose they could just pop you out of the car with no other protection and leave you to flail injuries, like jumping a superbike off a bridge......
    I suppose you could go with an F-111 style escape pod where the survival cell gets kicked upward with the driver still strapped in. Of course, propellant charge, rocket engine, connection guillotine, drag & recovery chutes, landing attenuation bags and such would make an Indy car weigh like a stock car....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information