Liked: 0

Default Do you check if there's a lean / loan on a formula car?

Since these cars cost a substantial amount. Do you / can you check if there's a lean or loan on a formula car, when you're buying it used?

Liked: 231

I don't know of any bank that would lend against a formula car short of something from a current professional series that had a value that could be easily established. While many likely borrow money for racing, I'd suggest it is usually secured by a house or other assets and it is unlikely that the formula car itself has any charge against it.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Sure wouldn't hurt to ask/check. Get a bill of sale which includes a statement(s) that there are: no liens/encumberance/claims against it, that seller is the one and only owner....etc. May help you in future when you want to part with it.... After all these are "used" cars....could be dealing with a motley crew. Deal with someone "known"....to you... or the other car folks around....

Okie

Liked: 30

Here's a relatively simple format I use to document transfer of legal ownership;

I, (sellers name) of (insert sellers address) hereby certify that I am the lawful owner of the vehicle listed below;

Year:
    Make:
    Model:
    Chassis/VIN #

I confirm I have absolute authority to sell the vehicle listed and hereby acknowledge the receipt of $XX,XXX from (insert name of buyer) as full and final payment for the purchase of the said vehicle, sold in "AS IS” condition.

I do hereby grant, sell and transfer full ownership of this vehicle to (insert name of buyer) or his/her agent. I certify that this vehicle, at the time of sale, is free from all encumbrances, taxes, fees and liens and that, I (Seller) will defend and be held fully responsible for such lawful claims and demands with respect to the vehicle, if any.

Buyer accepts full liability for the vehicle, damages, and any third party liability incurred from the vehicle use as from date of pick up from sellers residence.

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 94

Although a lien is unlikely, for the reasons previously stated, there are issues with stolen cars every once in a while.

In fact, just such a situation came up a month or two ago with a stolen Vee. The new owner had purchased it in good faith, but after he posted a celebratory photo on Facebook somebody recognized that the car had been stolen (along with another car and the trailer they were in) a few years earlier.

Mitigating that risk can be tricky, but inspecting the log book can help. If there's no log book, or the seller is cagey about the car's provenance, those can be red flags.

Jeff

Liked: 1112

If the car is stolen, a statement from the seller that it isn't doesn't do you a lot of good unless you want to pay a lawyer more than you're likely to recover. Except perhaps to absolve you from your own criminal liability.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend

Default Florida is super picky on BOS form/words...

Best go to DMV site and download any "acceptable" form, if your state/county/province has one. Had issues bringing in cars from out of state, on bill of sale, not from Florida. Had to go back to redo, using their form, to make Fl DMV/state happy....was a real hassle with estate sale/auction, after everyone died or went home...

Bob L.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

200 views, 6 replies, and nobody has mentioned Jon Lewis?

This place is losing its edge.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

12. The following 6 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    I don't know of any bank that would lend against a formula car short of something from a current professional series that had a value that could be easily established. While many likely borrow money for racing, I'd suggest it is usually secured by a house or other assets and it is unlikely that the formula car itself has any charge against it.

-Mark
    At 21 years old, I talked Mom Agnif into going down to Chase Bank to cosign a personal loan at 18.5% to buy my first race car. Their security was that Mom Agnif would kick the crap out of me if I didn't make the payments.
    I really wanted to go racing !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 27

Default Not So Odd ... Back In The Day

In '74, I went to my local bank with a copy of the current Autoweek ad section to take out a signature loan of $1500 for a Titan MK3 roller. Seemed like a good idea at the time. They made the loan, to my surprise! I've been hooked ever since!

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 105

Quote Originally Posted by T-Tom View Post
    In '74, I went to my local bank with a copy of the current Autoweek ad section to take out a signature loan of $1500 for a Titan MK3 roller. Seemed like a good idea at the time. They made the loan, to my surprise! I've been hooked ever since!
    Talk about a depreciating asset! I can just imagine the call to the bank on Monday morning ‘I wadded up the Van Diemen, do I still need to make the payments? You can pick it up anytime!
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    Best go to DMV site and download any "acceptable" form, if your state/county/province has one. Had issues bringing in cars from out of state, on bill of sale, not from Florida. Had to go back to redo, using their form, to make Fl DMV/state happy....was a real hassle with estate sale/auction, after everyone died or went home...

Bob L.
    Nevada can be picky on street cars as well, but more from a chain of custody perspective and I'd use their BoS form in that case, but my question is what concern is it of FL DMV if it's a non titled non registered race car?

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
    Nevada can be picky on street cars as well, but more from a chain of custody perspective and I'd use their BoS form in that case, but my question is what concern is it of FL DMV if it's a non titled non registered race car?
    Probably none..... comment creep into other "car" issues....on my part....

Point: If going to effort to get a BoS, then try to do best job....I doubt state will ever come looking...but if someone does, get best defense for yourself! Not just a custody issue, rather legally acceptable, property ownership....

Bob L.

Liked: 295

All the suggestions are good. ....but in my experience as a Landlord for over 30 years I have come to the conclusion that these are good for getting a judgment which might be collected if the party has real property in the same state as I am in. Anyone from another state is unlikely to ever pay up.

But I do always use a bill of sale to clarify the purchase agreement between the buyer and the seller.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    200 views, 6 replies, and nobody has mentioned Jon Lewis?

This place is losing its edge.
    Care to provide more info.

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by Jamolah View Post
    Care to provide more info.
    For your reading enjoyment: https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...eading-Edge-GP
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

25. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information