Thread: 4 pin Can Dash

Liked: 0

Default 4 pin Can Dash

Newbie here and just started tearing the car down, de-greasing/refreshing/painting and discovered the CAN 4 pin port.

Has anyone used the CAN 4 pin connector for the honda? Any suggestions on a good AIM display (or other?) for basic dash functions and no data recording? What all data that can come through that CAN?

Any adapters for 4 pin to USB or OBD-II so I can output to an android device wirelessly or via cord?

Thanks for any info!

Liked: 231

I believe in the AiM world, the "MXM Dashlogger" ($1099) is the cheapest entry point BUT that is not only a dash, but also a full datalogger with GPS, 4 analog channel capability, and a 2 channel power module. It is my understanding that the cheap $400 GS-dash will only work in conjunction with a logger, not a direct connection to the ECU's CAN but I could be wrong there.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 530

I'm not familiar with the Honda connector, but you only need to figure out two pins, CAN+ and CAN- to link into the data stream on it. Then you can make a two wire adapter into a conventional ALDL OBDII standard port if you want. You can also hook the two data wires up to AIM or any data logger that accepts CAN input and get the ECU data on your dash logger.

Liked: 285

We sell several brands of data acquisition and display devices. We can provide an ECU connection to any dash that supports CAN.

You will get all the engine sensors (engine speed, manifold pressure, throttle position, coolant temp, air temp, oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust lambda and fuel pressure). Some of those sensors are on the optional harness.

Visit our website, or give us a call to discuss.
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 06.02.20 at 6:34 PM.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Honda connector, but you only need to figure out two pins, CAN+ and CAN- to link into the data stream on it. Then you can make a two wire adapter into a conventional ALDL OBDII standard port if you want. You can also hook the two data wires up to AIM or any data logger that accepts CAN input and get the ECU data on your dash logger.

I did find a setup that integrated to a breadboard for some reason-- female OBD. It was cheap, might be worth testing out! Thanks, got me searchin!

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    I believe in the AiM world, the "MXM Dashlogger" ($1099) is the cheapest entry point BUT that is not only a dash, but also a full datalogger with GPS, 4 analog channel capability, and a 2 channel power module. It is my understanding that the cheap $400 GS-dash will only work in conjunction with a logger, not a direct connection to the ECU's CAN but I could be wrong there.

-Mark

thanks! I saw the $400 dollar option and almost bit too soon. The datalogger sure is a buzzkill with the cost bump isn't it. I really just want to get the big old dash out. I keep hitting my knee on the dash every time I get out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    We sell several brands of data acquisition and display devices. We can provide an ECU connection to any dash that supports CAN.

You will get all the engine sensors (engine speed, manifold pressure, throttle position, coolant temp, air temp, oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust lambda and fuel pressure). Some of those sensors are on the optional harness.

Visit our website, or give us a call to discuss.
    Is the mxs strada 1.2 unit a plug and play display or would it also need a data logger?

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3am View Post
    Is the mxs strada 1.2 unit a plug and play display or would it also need a data logger?
    It is a dash only at about half the price of the mxs 1.2 dash/logger.
    You can use it as a standalone display to show all your live data feeds, you just can't record.

Veracity can help make sure you get the right cables for plug-n-play. Call Dave Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    It is a dash only at about half the price of the mxs 1.2 dash/logger.
    You can use it as a standalone display to show all your live data feeds, you just can't record.

Veracity can help make sure you get the right cables for plug-n-play. Call Dave Ferguson
    will do, thanks!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The Aim products have become the industry standard because they do a really nice job at a price cheaper than anything else comparable, with decent customer support. A large majority of other racers use Aim, so you can share info, and get technical guidance from other racers, etc. Do yourself a favor, skip shortcuts, or other half-ass options, and just bite the bullet and put in a nice Aim dash/data logger. I have no connection to the productline, other than a user and fan. The six cars (4 Honda FFs) in my shop all have Aim systems.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3am View Post
    Newbie here and just started tearing the car down, de-greasing/refreshing/painting and discovered the CAN 4 pin port.

Has anyone used the CAN 4 pin connector for the honda? Any suggestions on a good AIM display (or other?) for basic dash functions and no data recording? What all data that can come through that CAN?

Any adapters for 4 pin to USB or OBD-II so I can output to an android device wirelessly or via cord?

Thanks for any info!
    Yes & no. I couldn't find the adapter in time so I converted it to Weather-Pack (because it's what I had). It's actually 3 wires (the 4th pin is empty). You get pretty much everything from the engine: IAT, MAP, WT, TPS, RPM. If you get the optional harness & sensors you also get OT & FP. It'll also give you any fault codes.

I use an EVO-4 with a G-dash display. I run it with the GPS track mapping. You'll need to figure out where to put the AIM unit & the display. I mounted mine behind the dash panel and put the display on the steering wheel using an adapter plate drilled out some 1/8" aluminum. The GPS antenna is magnetic and I mounted to the frame under the shock cover. It can "see" through fiberglass. Last year I added some brake pressure sensors.

The AIM will also record mileage (if you have GPS or a track beacon) and engine hours. The with the G-dash you can program custom alarms and the G-dash has a lot of display options. You can set up multiple pages so I can check pretty much every function on the engine sensors without having to hook a laptop up to it (like TPS), I can also set brake bias using the pressure sensors.

The protocol on the ECU isn't OBD II. AIM is set up for it (it's a specific protocol on the setup menu).
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

I think the question has been answered, but you want a dash and logging.

To Greg's comment - AiM has terrific support from the guys in the US and from the dealer if you pick the right one.

Thread Information