Liked: 295

Default Tear offs in Autocross?

Do we get enough damage to our visors to make tear offs worthwhile?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Most of the autocrosses I've run have been in decaying parking lots. If you are running an OW car I think the front wheels would pelt you with gravel - so yeah, I'd wear one.

But I don't see a need to tear it off during a run. I'm sure people would appreciate proper disposal.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 953

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Do we get enough damage to our visors to make tear offs worthwhile?
    I use a tearoff unless it rains. $2 tearoff protects the $70 face shield.

YMMV
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks guys!

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Most of the autocrosses I've run have been in decaying parking lots. If you are running an OW car I think the front wheels would pelt you with gravel - so yeah, I'd wear one.
    I've been autocrossing my OW car for the last 6 years and have yet to have my face shield damage by getting hit by a rock, I think I will ask fellow CM classed if they have had this happen to their face shields.

The problem I have is finger prints on my face shield that take time to clean off.

Ben

How do you clean it?

Liked: 953

How do you clean it?
    The tear off or the face shield?

Tearoffs are good until the giant bug splat.
    Face shields I clean with eyeglass cleaner spray and a soft cloth, then rain-X and soft cloth.

I have used meguiars plastic polish to take out the scratches.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 65

Only real damage any of my visors have received was from being too close to the rear of a Vette when they launched. Spinning tire shot a rock stuck in the tire into my visor. Nice little divot.

I always try to leave room between my nose and the car in front of me all the way through staging where I can see their mirrors for that reason. Also, nothing says panic like when the reverse lights of the car in front of you come on.

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    Only real damage any of my visors have received was from being too close to the rear of a Vette when they launched. Spinning tire shot a rock stuck in the tire into my visor. Nice little divot.

I always try to leave room between my nose and the car in front of me all the way through staging where I can see their mirrors for that reason. Also, nothing says panic like when the reverse lights of the car in front of you come on.
    Yeah. We sit so low we are very vulnerable to a taller vehicle.

When I was a kid I pulled up behind a car at a stop sign and he backed up. Not being able to react except to shout out Hey! I was relieved when he stopped with his bumper sitting on the top of my front wheel. If he had come any further I don't know what would happen.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

Why would anybody go through all the cost, bother, and visor wear of tear-offs unless completely necessary? I can certainly see why you would want them in an Indycar for hundreds of miles, but for a single car run lasting a minute? I thought tear-offs were a 90s thing. I see very few drivers using them today in our 1/2 hour race format. I raced FV for decades (lots of oil flying around) and found the back of my glove worked just fine, and without tear-off wear, my visors lasted many years.
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.28.20 at 9:32 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Tear offs

I keep at least one tear off on each of my visors to protect it from damage, whether on track or not. As was previously stated, the tear offs are cheaper than the visor.

I am in a unique position in that I both autocross and club race my FF, so for me there is more crossover between the two disciplines than for most other racers.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post
    I keep at least one tear off on each of my visors to protect it from damage, whether on track or not. As was previously stated, the tear offs are cheaper than the visor.

I am in a unique position in that I both autocross and club race my FF, so for me there is more crossover between the two disciplines than for most other racers.
    I think I will go this way.

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post

I know, I know they wouldn't have tear offs if they left residue but ?

Ben

Liked: 182

How do you clean it?
    Lemon pledge

Liked: 99

I never used a high dollar helmet for autocross so was never concerned about the visor, but also never had a single visor problem running the same helmet in CM for 5 years. I don't think it's worth the hassle to use tearoff. I've found I have exponential more wear on the visor in road racing and try to follow the "minimum 1 layer" each session.
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments!

Liked: 41

I use tearoff for Solo as well. Lots of gravel gets kicked up during the runs, and it is far cheaper than replacing the shield.

There really isn't any reason not to use one. It's cheap (and lightweight) protection for your helmet.

Liked: 65

My mirrored visor is heavily pitted after 1 year of use. I'll be adding a tear-off when I replace it.

I had a problem with tear-offs floating on my Zamp helmet, so I'll add a bit of tape at the bottom.

Thread Information