Thread: Fuel Transfer

Liked: 235

Default Fuel Transfer

For the price, is the Flo Fast product the best system available for pumping fuel?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=30125
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 482

I don’t know if it is best but I have one and I really really like it. It feels WAY more safe than any system I have used aside from getting directly from pump at the track.

I do find it can be sneaky: A bit of fuel (~ few ounces) tends to hide in the pump easily so I always hang it out to dry after using it and crank it both directions to to be sure it is free of fuel before storing.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Has auto shut off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-8000mrg

I did modify the clips so it would go into the tank further.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Has auto shut off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-8000mrg

I did modify the clips so it would go into the tank further.
    interesting, but curious how long the “4 AA batteries” last in what seems like it would be a high power draw pump?
    thx
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    For the price, is the Flo Fast product the best system available for pumping fuel?

I also use the Flo Fast and like it.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

New wedge cell under seat...had issue of buried filler on the 340...could get filler cap off, but impossible to fill without pulling body/seat... then found a battery powered pump at tractor supply. 2 D cells, rocker switch in top, transfers at 1.75 gpm....doesn't fit tight into jug. Later found same at HF for about 10 bucks...

https://www.harborfreight.com/Battery-Operated-Liquid-Transfer-Pump-63847.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzk0NDYxNjgiLCJza3Ui OiI2Mzg0NyIsImlzIjoiNi45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0A OiIxMjM3NCJ9%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|||63847&utm_sou rce=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_conten t=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImfDQi8zR6QIVhYzICh06uAIIEAQYA iABEgL4lvD

So far, as worked fine, although first one died between uses... Flow rate makes it easy to control...yet fills fast enough. Cheap enough to have a couple in trailer for backup.

Bob L.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

I've been using FloFast for years. 7.5 gallon jugs and I just hand carry them. I bought the two-wheel dolly and strap thingy but it didn't work that great so I don't bother with that part anymore. Looks like they've updated the pump with a metal handle and a metal tube in the end of the yellow flex tube.

the pump will also thread into most fuel jugs. if it is setup for a 7.5 gallon jug the suction pipe is taller than a 5 gallon but I have some of those jugs too and I just set it down in and don't worry about threading it on the jug.

it pumps fast, and it pumps in both directions. I've used it to drain tanks also. much faster than small electric pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    interesting, but curious how long the “4 AA batteries” last in what seems like it would be a high power draw pump?
    thx
    It can operate on 2 or 4 batteries.

On 4 batteries they say 50 x 5 gal jugs. On 2 they say 25.

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    New wedge cell under seat...had issue of buried filler on the 340...could get filler cap off, but impossible to fill without pulling body/seat... then found a battery powered pump at tractor supply. 2 D cells, rocker switch in top, transfers at 1.75 gpm....doesn't fit tight into jug. Later found same at HF for about 10 bucks...

https://www.harborfreight.com/Battery-Operated-Liquid-Transfer-Pump-63847.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzk0NDYxNjgiLCJza3Ui OiI2Mzg0NyIsImlzIjoiNi45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0A OiIxMjM3NCJ9%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|||63847&utm_sou rce=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_conten t=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImfDQi8zR6QIVhYzICh06uAIIEAQYA iABEgL4lvD

So far, as worked fine, although first one died between uses... Flow rate makes it easy to control...yet fills fast enough. Cheap enough to have a couple in trailer for backup.

Bob L.
    Cheap enough to keep a few on hand !

Liked: 1112

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Pegasus says you should drain your fuel cell to preserve the foam. I thought the idea was to keep it wet?
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 270

I seem to recall the topic of draining or not relates to what fuel type you use...

I too love my Flo-Fast, except that the hose mine came with hardened after a few years, had first to trim off a crack, now I'm replacing it... dunno if perhaps someone else out there can recommend how to avoid this? Seems to have been due to fuel exposure.

I've used both pump gas and trackside race fuel, at times (stock bike motor)...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    I seem to recall the topic of draining or not relates to what fuel type you use....
    And to what material the cell is made from.

Ethanol is not good to urethane cells. I had one that lasted fine until I started using E10 pump gas. That killed it in less than 2 years. I have had no issues with the Nitrile rubber cell I got from Eagle. They say with E10 it should last more than 15 years.

BTW, they say to store the Nitrile cells full (prevents hardening & cracking), and I have done that.

Fuel-cell foam can also be an issue with E10. The "normal" foam may degrade, but there is higher-quality foam available. I have not yet had a foam issue in 7 years of use with E10 and the "normal" foam.
    Dave Weitzenhof

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post

That's what I bought last year Jim and am very happy with it. Be sure to lube it a couple of times a year to keep it from locking up. A few drops of engine oil in the port is all you need.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Why not just get a Holley HiVol Low Pressure 120+GPH fuel pump, some hose and wire it to an Anderson Power Products SB connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Why not just get a Holley HiVol Low Pressure 120+GPH fuel pump, some hose and wire it to an Anderson Power Products SB connector?
    2 gal/minute is just kinda slow

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    2 gal/minute is just kinda slow
    Relative to 8, sure. But you are saving less than 2 minutes with a 5 gallon cell. They do make them up to 400GPH, but they get kind of spendy.

If it takes 2-3 minutes to fill/empty a cell it doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. I mean most SCCA run groups seem to have multiple hours between sessions.

True. I guess I’m thinking about my 20 gallon cell

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I did that. Built it all into a $9 Home Depot plastic toolbox. The hoses go brittle and moving the battery around is a pita.
    That's why I went for the Mr gasket thing. A lot less lifting

Liked: 138

Are electric pumps not "illegal"?

In Canada or at least the few series I have run they specify no electric fuel pumps for fuel transfer.

Not that anyone ever checks.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 235

I've looked at the Mr. Gasket systems. What is your opinion of their quality? Will they last more than a year?
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Banned

I did that. Built it all into a $9 Home Depot plastic toolbox. The hoses go brittle and moving the battery around is a pita.
    No battery to move around. Wire the pump to the same type of fitting (Anderson SB) that plugs in to the back of most cars.

Thread Information