Liked: 530

Default Tuning a Buick Indy Lights?

I’ve never done any tuning. The car has a good baseline. I would like to spend some time on a dyno and fine tune. Anyone familiar with these engines? Preferably in FL?
    4.2L V6 on Electromotive TEC GT ECU and WinTEC v4 software.

Liked: 1869

I'd first call the original builder - "Ohio" George Montgomery in Dayton, Ohio to see if there is someone he would recommend down near you. His son runs the shop now, and George still goes to his shop every afternoon.

George’s Speed Shop
    716 Brantley Ave
    Dayton, Ohio

(937) 233-0353

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

http://engines.georgesspeedshop.com/...y%20Light.html

Link to Georges Indy Lights Page along with maps when you click on "next"

There is a lot more HP available if you up the rpms past what was allowed - something like 550 if I remember what George told me way back when.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    I'd first call the original builder - "Ohio" George Montgomery in Dayton, Ohio to see if there is someone he would recommend down near you. His son runs the shop now, and George still goes to his shop every afternoon.

George’s Speed Shop
    716 Brantley Ave
    Dayton, Ohio

(937) 233-0353
    RP;

”Ohio" George Montgomery. Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Saw him racing his blown 1933 Wyllis A Gasser at Lions in Long Beach CA in the mid Sixties.

V/r

Iverson

There is a lot more HP available if you up the rpms past what was allowed - something like 550 if I remember what George told me way back when.
    I recently read an article that said something of the same.. the 425hp is due to the 7200rpm limit the series set. the motors are allegedly safe to spin to 8500 although you'd certainly lose longevity up in that stratospheric range! The article mentioned north of 500hp for sure. It's another question I want to confirm when I call, because I may lift the limiter just in case I need "push to pass" kind of power

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...-6-juggernaut/

I went to K-8 with Ron Kociba's son Mike. And Mike is now assistant chief engineer for the C8 engine.
    Will call up to Michigan and see what they say also.. There was paperwork from Brayton engineering for the last rebuild on the motor I have.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default Ron Nash Engineering

on the Trans-Am team in 1986 we ran factory backed fuel injected systems and the GM engine techs said that SOME lites guys were

offering $$$$ for a little more speed, apparently they could dial that in LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I recently read an article that said something of the same.. the 425hp is due to the 7200rpm limit the series set. the motors are allegedly safe to spin to 8500 although you'd certainly lose longevity up in that stratospheric range! The article mentioned north of 500hp for sure. It's another question I want to confirm when I call, because I may lift the limiter just in case I need "push to pass" kind of power
    Actually if I were you, I'd take the motor up to him - he probably knows that motor better than anyone.

Liked: 322

I like the can of NEVR-DULL in the photo.. I have a couple cans of that which I use for other hobbies, I'm not sure what he needed it for in the paddock (unless you just need something to 'shine'). Not sure if that stuff is still sold, smells nasty and don't accidentally breathe the dust!
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Actually if I were you, I'd take the motor up to him - he probably knows that motor better than anyone.
    When it needs a rebuild, I certainly will.

I talked with George and Greg. They had nothing to do with the electronics or ECU. They only built the motors. Buick came in and did the tuning and supplied locked ECUs for the series.

Nobody answering the phone in Michigan this weekend - will try next week if Brayton Engineering or maybe even Ron Kociba could help guide me.

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I talked with George and Greg. They had nothing to do with the electronics or ECU. They only built the motors. Buick came in and did the tuning and supplied locked ECUs for the series.
    The last time I visited George, many years ago, he still had maybe 30 fully built engines for sale but only about 10 ECUs (so he wasn't interested in selling me one!). Your engine does have quite a few small parts which came from him. I 'paid' for them by making him 10 copies of a small bracket/spacer because his previous supplier wanted minimum order of 100.

He was, and probably still is, an interesting guy. Starting a conversation with him was always slow because he knew mine was a Brayton engine but within 1/2 hour we were like old pals.

Trying to contact Lee Brayton or his company in Coldwater MI might be unsuccessful. I only met him once about 2005 and he was more or less just sitting in his office with nothing to do and no employees - his racing projects having come to an end. I would guess he would be in his late 80s by now. No idea if the shop/office still exists.

Derek

Thread Information