Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default Dexter Torsion Axles: Do they wear out?

Hi Everyone,

In 2006 I had a custom 16’ lightweight low height slant nose aluminum trailer built with a single Dexter 3500# axle / electric brakes so I could tow it easily with just about anything. I’ve put a grand total of 1000 - 1250 mile on it since (long story.) I pulled it out of the local storage site (outside but I’ve kept it covered for the past 10 years) a few weeks ago because it needs some TLC (and the lawn mower was stored in it and it finally stopped snowing.)

So, I noticed it was sitting a bit low in the driveway and there was a tire rub mark on the inside of one of the fenders when I was checking out the ride height issue… not good. Did some digging on the web and it looks like Dexter torsion axles tend to wear out over time and sag (7 to 15-year life?) The only fix is to replace the axle. Looks like $700.00 will get one shipped to my door. Not happy. I never stored it on jacks but stories on the web indicate it would not have helped.

The simple home built 15-year-old open trailer, with a 4” drop axle and leaf springs, I sold to get this trailer, is still around town and doing great.

Is replacing torsion axles a common maintenance item? Any online dealer recommendation that offer discount pricing? Is Flexiride a better option?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Liked: 947

That's very interesting. I have a set of two on my 7x18 Featherlite. Trailer is 21 years old, no sign of failure I can see, but I'll look.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3292

Default 31 YO trailer w/ Dexter Torsion Axles

I have the Dexter torsion axles on my 1989 Wells Cargo 22' trailer. They are still working as they should.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 902

Same here. 1998 28 foot Haulmark, axles like new. Brakes on the other hand, well we go thru them!

cheers,
    bt

Default Brakes

3 years ago, I replaced all of the original 28-YO mechanical parts (backing plates, pucks, drums, shoes, bearings, etc.) of the electric brake system on my trailer. They had finally worn to the point that no amount of adjusting made them work properly. I bought the whole 2-axle kit from trailerparts.com for ~$440.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.21.20 at 10:13 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 295

I have seen them failed before. I decided not to own any more with them after that. My current trailer has leaf springs. I would say they fail from heavy use but yours sounds like that is not the case. (I don't know the brand).

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    ...Is replacing torsion axles a common maintenance item? Any online dealer recommendation that offer discount pricing?...
    I'm guessing that there was an issue with the rubber compound used for the torsion springs. A minor compounding issue could cause early failure from a variety of reasons. Compound components with the same specs but obtained from different suppliers are notorious for causing sub-standard rubber compounds/components.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1878

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I'm guessing that there was an issue with the rubber compound used for the torsion springs. A minor compounding issue could cause early failure from a variety of reasons. Compound components with the same specs but obtained from different suppliers are notorious for causing sub-standard rubber compounds/components.
    Especially if they started sourcing the rubber from China.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 13

Default Dexter Trailer Axles

Not intending to hijack this thread regarding axle droop, but I've learned two things when having to replace both 3500 lb Dexter torsion axles on a 2013 24 ft. RC enclosed trailer. Towing an Atlantic car, spares and tools, the total weight with trailer is 7000 lbs. These axles are fragile and do not take sudden shocks well from pavement holes, curbs, etc. I found the right wheel on the front axle bent in a severe tow out position during a 7000 mile trip in 2015. This was due to metal on the axle cross member bending, not a failure of the rubber torsion assembly. These axles can not be repaired, requiring full axle replacement, in my case having to cut the axle off the frame as it was welded on during manufacture. Even though the ride would be firmer, if I had to do it again I would spend the money and upgrade to 6000 lb. units.

Second, Dexter uses cheap Chinese bearings. The original rear axle suffered bearing (not cage) failure during an 800 mile trip home in 2018. Before this, the bearings had been repacked twice using red grease since new by a professional RV shop. Total axle replacement was again required as spindle replacement was not an option, requiring the axle to be cut off the frame. If you have a used or brand new trailer with Dexter axles, replace the bearings with Timkens. It's going to save you serious money and aggravation at some point in time.

anicholas

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

All very good information especially Dave's comment on how long his Dexter brake components lasted, I am sure with proper maintenance. I still full all of the drums off every couple of years (1500 to 2000 miles) and look just to make sure.

Liked: 138

Oof I also had a bearing fail badly on mine, I was able to salvage the axle by sanding it down carefully. I had initially thought, no problem I'll just buy a new hub to later find out it can't be replaced. Eeek expensive failure point.

New trailer has leaf springs by chance but it rides really high as a result.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 26

All, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I’m in the minority. The trailer forums I researched have a lot of posts from individuals that had the same failure, but a few posted their 20 plus year-old (and abused) work trailers were doing fine. Individuals with product issues tend to post so who knows what the failure percentage is.

I called Dexter to verify all the build options (several) based on the axle SN. I was surprised to find out it was delivered with a “zero” swing angle because both sides are UP about 20 – 25 degrees... and it is empty. The specs show the swing angle should be DOWN a few degrees without a load. The axle is sagging much more than I thought. Both sides are the same so time must have worn the rubber out.

I’m going to order a complete replacement, including the brakes, and might go for the hot dipped galvanize boat trailer option because I hate rust. Four bolts, an alignment check, and then reconnect the left/right brake wires and I should be all set. Hopefully I won’t have the same issue again, but I will be keeping accurate notes/measurements during the warranty period this time. I will be checking the bearings to see if they need to be replaced too (good tip.)

FYI: I noticed Dexter now offers a replaceable spindle option… it wasn’t an option on my "light duty" classed axle so it must be for the higher weight axles.

Craig

Liked: 182

Any chance of a few pictures of the trailer?
    sounds like a neat design.

Liked: 1878

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post

I’m going to order a complete replacement, .....

Craig
    I'd go for the higher weight axles if they will fit the trailer correctly. Most likely Dexter is still using Chinese made crap to keep costs down, so you can expect that axles of the same capacity as your current ones will sag the same over time, whereas the higher capacity ones will sag way less or not at all, because of the lower per-unit stress on the rubber.

And in either case, change out the bearing immediately.

Thread Information