Liked: 5

Default Help with identification on Roll bar #'s

I am asking on behalf of our Elden FF friends in the UK.

A few years ago they imported from the US an 1971 Elden FF MK8 chassis 8/004. Verified by Peter Hampsheir and chassis #'s.

The car was brought to the US in 190/71 by Carl Martin, I believe in the Northeast. Was raced, we think, in SCCA but there isn't the conventional roll bar #'s of "xx(region #)-serial #."

But what is on the roll bar is "NBR 125" Also on the rear cross member is "MF134". Neither of these #'s jive with Elden build/registry records. Would SCCA used a different Log book # back in 1970-71? Another racing organization?

Anyone remember Carl Martin in that period of time?

Friends in the UK are restoring the car and are interested an any history of this car. Any help would be appreciated.
    Larry H
    Santa Fe, NM
    4- Elden MK10

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default 1972

Don't know about numbers you have.

However, SCCA didn't start issuing logbooks (formally, across the club) until 1972. The numbers began with the issuing region #, a dash, then the sequential logbook number starting with 001. There was no ordering by class or type. This is for amatuer racing, not Pro.

To the best of my knowledge, no central registry of logbook numbers was kept (ie @ SCCA national), rather each region's tech chief (if one), kept their own records. Over time people changed and records were lost... so not too great a chance to find specifics on a single car. Also, ownership changes were only recorded in paper logbooks, again, no organized/central registry. Not all owner changes are recorded in logbooks either. Car books often are lost, similar to chassis tags. Continuation and replacement books kept the original number, if known... Sometimes new logbooks. with new numbers, were issued... seemed to be at discretion of the tech folks...and if classes were changed (formula car going to sport racing...etc..)

Side note: SCCA attempted to run a Driver's log program at the same time... That disappeared within a year or 2.... folks just didn't want it... Cars didn't have a say...so, those continued. Sort of funny....

So if someone is trying to "tell you" they have a logbook number, pre 72, be skeptical... car might be older, but logbook isn't the common one.

And different groups did it differently, too. Midwest Council, Canada, etc....had/have their own systems.

Okie

Liked: 610

Default Roll Hoop number

SCCA did not have a national "log book" in 1970-71.
    The Central-Division (old one, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota) were the test for the concept in 1971. I don't remember if the idea went nationally in 72 or 73. Those books were replaced by the one seen now.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Keith, as far as my recall goes I never had a logbook until 1972 in the NEDiv.
    Definitely NOT in '68-'69-'70-'71 for sure.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

My Spitfire has the first logbook issued by NeOkla.... 54-001. Ken Lawrence was the owner, then. Okie

Liked: 5

Thank you all for that information. I will forward on. Look forward to racing yet this year.
    Larry
    Larry H
    Santa Fe, NM
    4- Elden MK10

Thread Information