Liked: 105

Default RFactor2 beginner settings

OK I took the plunge and bought a sim set up. Got all the controls connected and loaded and working. Now the final settings seem a daunting task. From seat height, vertical FOV cannot see over the dash, engine RPM I am getting passed like I am stopped (OK lets skip the jokes???? ie. RPM seems limited, is there a rev limiter setting I am missing? Do I want auto pit on?

Does anyone have a standard start up set up to get me past the steepest part of the learning curve? Using the Tataus car and hate the halo, not sure how they do it in the real world! This is the closest I can get to my Elan DP08.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 138

Pit speed limiter is on. You'll need to map a button and hit it as you leave the pits.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

There's a lot of stuff for us new, old guys! (I'm assuming you're not a kid - I'm not anymore!)

When you go into the track, hit "Settings" on the right, then you can check your wheel/pedal calibrations and, to your question, "bind" specific keys to perform specific functions. You want to bind a Pit Lane speed limiter OFF key because that's what is keep your speed at pit lane speed.

I have a very old Logitech wheel so I just programmed 3 keys:
    Pit Lane speed limiter off
    Push to talk
    R gear selector

I'm too new to know if any other controls are useful to have binded keys. I think I'll go watch more YouTube videos about it!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 268

Default simulators

Only thing missing with any of these eracring are the really important factors that impact how you drive on the real track, your ass and your investment. Being able to reset the game with no consequences changes the game a lot. I'm sure they are fun and all but reality changes things immensely !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Default settings

You're going to have to spend some time playing with settings. You can move the "seat" up/down and forward/backward. You need to also calibrate your wheel & pedals to the game. I was having trouble not getting much speed and it turned out my brake pedal wasn't calibrated correctly so the brakes were dragging like 25%. Once I re-calibrated it was fine.

For me, RF1 is easier to use and the settings seem more stable. RF2 has MANY more settings and sometimes my wheel/pedals go out of calibration for seemingly no reason. RF2 is visually nicer, and some say more realistic, but I generally run RF1 because I can get all the tracks I'm interested in. There is supposedly a way to convert RF1 tracks to RF2 but I haven't tried it yet. I think RF1 is like $20 in the Steam store.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_G_SC View Post
    You're going to have to spend some time playing with settings. You can move the "seat" up/down and forward/backward. You need to also calibrate your wheel & pedals to the game. I was having trouble not getting much speed and it turned out my brake pedal wasn't calibrated correctly so the brakes were dragging like 25%. Once I re-calibrated it was fine.

For me, RF1 is easier to use and the settings seem more stable. RF2 has MANY more settings and sometimes my wheel/pedals go out of calibration for seemingly no reason. RF2 is visually nicer, and some say more realistic, but I generally run RF1 because I can get all the tracks I'm interested in. There is supposedly a way to convert RF1 tracks to RF2 but I haven't tried it yet. I think RF1 is like $20 in the Steam store.

Have fun!
    Thanks guys great advice!! Worked out the basic bugs and have the sim operating. Still fine tuning. Strange thing is the sim runs fine in practice but loses the plot once in race mode. As soon as the green flag drops the wheel jams to the right and I lose directional control.Is there a manual online for Rfactor2 that I could download to remove a lot of wasted time with guess work and trial and error?
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Quote Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
    Thanks guys great advice!! Worked out the basic bugs and have the sim operating. Still fine tuning. Strange thing is the sim runs fine in practice but loses the plot once in race mode. As soon as the green flag drops the wheel jams to the right and I lose directional control.Is there a manual online for Rfactor2 that I could download to remove a lot of wasted time with guess work and trial and error?
    Seems to be all working well now. What a difference a day makes. Managed to download my own car, the actual Jordon Cain Road to Indy DP08 Elan Mazda! Truly amazing technology! Once I tweaked the steering rate I could actually keep it on the track and with the small Ferrari FI wheel it steers just like my actual race car. Next the brakes which I am told are the most important component to getting competitive lap times. I also ditched the traction control and ‘steering and brake help’. Now it feels like a real race car although extremely sensitive to bad or late inputs. I like the tire noise sound that helps you sense when the tires are reaching their adhesion limit.

Does anyone know if you can down load any other tracks besides those that come with the software or on the Steam website? I downloaded Mosport and Road Atlanta from Steam but I would like to obtain Sebring, VIR, Pittsburgh and Mid Ohio.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 447

Sebring, VIR, Pittsburgh and Mid Ohio.
    A laser scanned Sebring is available for purchase for around $10 from S397 on Steam. Otherwise a VLN version is pretty good and free

VIR and Mid-Ohio is also available on the Steam Workshop. Not sure about Pitt, but I don't think it's available since I usually have all North American tracks installed for rF2.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    A laser scanned Sebring is available for purchase for around $10 from S397 on Steam. Otherwise a VLN version is pretty good and free

VIR and Mid-Ohio is also available on the Steam Workshop. Not sure about Pitt, but I don't think it's available since I usually have all North American tracks installed for rF2.
    Great thanks Keith!
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Great thanks Keith!
    Once you get things settled and are comfortable with rF2, come race with us. We race for fun every Tuesday evening at North American tracks and have all levels of competition from beginners to advanced. The server is available at all times with a hot laps dashboard that records session times. All are welcome! We've been getting a pretty steady turnout of at least 10 cars with hopes of doubling it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Once you get things settled and are comfortable with rF2, come race with us. We race for fun every Tuesday evening at North American tracks and have all levels of competition from beginners to advanced. The server is available at all times with a hot laps dashboard that records session times. All are welcome! We've been getting a pretty steady turnout of at least 10 cars with hopes of doubling it.

Will do sounds like fun!
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Rfactor

I have asset to corsa and rfactor 2 just tried to load rfactor because it has some smaller tracks I want to learn but rfactor central appears to no longer be working.
    any one else have issues with it?
    thanks
    Paul

Liked: 442

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Sails View Post
    I have asset to corsa and rfactor 2 just tried to load rfactor because it has some smaller tracks I want to learn but rfactor central appears to no longer be working.
    thanks
    Paul
    Rfactor has switched over to steam everything is on there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Sails View Post
    thanks
    Paul
    I can log into rFactorCentral fine and can see old content. Are you registered and logged in with your free account?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Default Sebring track

I can log into rFactorCentral fine and can see old content. Are you registered and logged in with your free account?
    Hey Keith I found VIR and Mid Ohio tracks on Steam and they down loaded fine. I found the laser Sebring track on Steam and tried downloading it. It appeared to down load ie. windows opening showing the down load. When I opened the track list it does not appear as the other tracks did. You say there is a $10 charge for the software. I did not get asked to pay. Any ideas? I really want that track. It is my most familiar track and will allow me to really get in sinc with the sim.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

This is the one from Studui397 that I mentioned.

Laser Scanned S397 version: https://store.steampowered.com/items...960/detail/18/

Here's the VLM version: http://www.internationalsimracing.co...p?topic=1979.0
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 23

Is Pittrace available anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post

Dunno for rF2 but I don't think so, but possibly for the original rFactor.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post

There this one for Assetto Corsa which is currently on sale for $5 if you don't already have it in the Steam summer sale: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...Assetto_Corsa/

PITT: https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...-circuit.6682/
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Thread Information