Liked: 530

Default improve my transport wheel/tire setup!

So Derek included some nicely made transport wheels with the Lola T91/50 but the tires were barely any larger diameter than the race tires, only improving ground clearance by about half an inch. I thought I had exhausted my search for different tires to fit the 18" wheels awhile ago, but went looking again last weekend and found some 27.2" tall tires that would fit. end result is more than 2 inches larger diameter resulting in just over 1.5" ground clearance vs the race slicks. They're tube tires instead of tubeless, but for this application it's fine for me! Tires are Shinko Super Classic 270 (4.50-18). I thought it was appropriate to put a Japanese tire on the car since it was originally a Japanese F3000.

Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 597

Ah.....bigger wider tires......bet you'll corner better

Liked: 530

yeah, about half inch wider. should corner better coming into the trailer and the larger diameter gives me a higher top speed. not to mention the reduced drag vs the slicks

my neighbor looked at me funny when I told the tire installer to make sure the directional arrow was going the right way for each corner ..

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Default Great minds . . ..

Just last month I replaced mine with Shinko SR712R 110/90-18 61H They're 26" tall mounted.
    18's are difficult to find as take-off's, unlike 19's where there are lots of motorcycle slicks for free. 8^)

My motorcycle dealer did them for $280.28 mounted but not balanced.

Of course the new set looks nicer, Ha

Have fun today.

Jim

Liked: 597

directional arrows huh?...........thanks.............got a great laugh from the comment

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

cheap-ass chinese dirt bike knobbys are usually a bit taller.

One of these day's I'm going to "upgrade" from my 1980s cast Yamaha 19's to some 21's. I still think old drum brake dirt bike fronts are the easiest answer. Just take the brake drum out and drill the backside for your spindle and drive pattern, no adapters, welding, gap-bed lathe or milling machine, etc needed, and if you do need to do some machining, you can take the hub out and do it on a normal sized machine.

Liked: 139

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    cheap-ass chinese dirt bike knobbys are usually a bit taller.

One of these day's I'm going to "upgrade" from my 1980s cast Yamaha 19's to some 21's. I still think old drum brake dirt bike fronts are the easiest answer. Just take the brake drum out and drill the backside for your spindle and drive pattern, no adapters, welding, gap-bed lathe or milling machine, etc needed, and if you do need to do some machining, you can take the hub out and do it on a normal sized machine.
    Are there any cheap tires anymore? Lowest I have seen for 19's lately are Shinko dual sports at $35.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Are there any cheap tires anymore? Lowest I have seen for 19's lately are Shinko dual sports at $35.
    I think mine were $25 nearly 15 years ago....Cheng Shen

Thread Information