Thread: sticker removal

Liked: 295

Default sticker removal

Hello, I am trying to remove some old stickers on my car. I used heat and got off the pictorial vinyl but the sticky stuff is left on the surface of the car skin. I have tried goo gone and goof off and the sticky stuff just laughs at them. Any recommendations for something stronger that will not remove my paint too?

Liked: 530

I recently pulled 30 year old stickers off a former pro car. It took a combination of heat gun, goo gone, rubbing the leftover residue with my thumb, and these little wonders called thumbscrapers:
    Fusionbrands 8118-SET2 Thumb Small Task Scraper Tool, Blue & Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M8ZBZP..._bywSEbMV9PZR0

When using the heat gun don’t get it too hot. Just soften it a little. Also you can use tape to pull sticky residue off quite effectively.

It took a few days due to the amount of stickers and age but slowly and surely it was cleaned.

Car is now being painted.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Honestly, I just use brake cleaner. It doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the gelcoat surfaces. For the painted areas, I will spray a blue shop paper towel and wipe.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 830

I've had excellent luck with paint thinner ... if you don't leave it on very long. I also found that Walmart has a 'environmentally safe' new version of paint thinner that's WHITE that works ALMOST as well and you can leave it on longer .. actually, you HAVE to leave it on longer before it starts to take effect - but it still works. I usually dip a finger of paper towel in it and dab it on the 'glue area'. Let it sit for a few minutes while moving to any other glue areas and then come back and wipe them off.. for the most part. Then do the process again .. and maybe even a third time for stubborn areas. But the whole thing is done in 5 - 10 minutes per area.... even PAPER decals come off pretty easily. I peel what paper I can, then just wet through the paper .. it all comes off. Don't RUB it too hard. If it doesn't come right off, wait a bit .. or wet it again and then wait.. then wipe it off.

YMMV, so try it on a small spot of your PAINT before you commit to a large area. I think you'll be fine as long as you didn't JUST paint it.

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks guys!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

There are so many different kinds of adhesives you just have to experiment. I've used the turtle wax orange based decal remover, brakleen, denatured alcohol, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone, gasoline.....

And although it's a PITA, using another adhesive to dab off the old stuff works well. I'd start with gorilla tape. I used that once to mask a floor pan for sandblasting and let me tell you, there is NO solvent that removes that stuff. I had to dab it off.

We had a gasket that used a natural rubber adhesive on one of our missiles. It had to be removed wit MEK. Not sure I'd want that job.

I think I'll start with brake cleaner. Then paint thinner.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default 3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel

Hi Tom,

I've used a 3M Adhesive Eraser wheel successfully for 30 plus years? I've never damaged the paint but I allays use it very cautiously. They work very well. A friend that does a lot of paint/bodywork recommended it to me. Search for some videos on the topic. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe.../dp/B005RNGN8I

Craig

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

WD40 gets the glue off and is safe on the paint too. Used it many times.
    Graham

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks guys! I have at least three things on hand that I can try now!

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

I sneak into my wife's kitchen cabinet and swipe the GooGone.
    Smells nice too.

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

WD40, one of the few things it's very good for.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

As Rick K said, above, often old adhesive will come off using tape. I have used that a number of times, then isopropyl alcohol (IPA, rubbing alcohol, I think you guys know it ..?) to take off any residual adhesive.

Sometimes IPA will remove the adhesive in one hit. Others it just turns the adhesive to gel that can be scraped off, then a final wipe over with IPA to finalise.

Liked: 9

I've had good luck with WD40. I follow that with alcohol to remove the WD40.

Liked: 48

Default Adhesive remover

AutoTech adhesive remover or Rapid Remover by Rapid Tac are products I use.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 40

I have tried a dozen or more products. 3M Adhesive has worked the best. Let it soak a few minutes first if they are stubborn.

Liked: 235

I just did this job a month ago on my new (old) FF.
    Which ever cleaning fluid or goo you choose, I recommend scrubbing with "Scotch Brite Non-Scatch Scrub Sponge". Doesn't damage the paint at all.

And it's important to approach the task with the understanding that no matter what you use, it's gonna take time and elbow grease.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    Hi Tom,

I've used a 3M Adhesive Eraser wheel successfully for 30 plus years? I've never damaged the paint but I allays use it very cautiously. They work very well. A friend that does a lot of paint/bodywork recommended it to me. Search for some videos on the topic. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe.../dp/B005RNGN8I

Craig
    3M also makes a spray adhesive remover designed for body shop use. Might be worth a try, 3M makes good stuff.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover! It ain't cheap, but great stuff. Doesn't seem to hurt paint. I always have it on hand, in the shop, at home, in the race trailer. If you can start at the top of a vinyl sticker maybe using some heat to get started, then squirt a bit of this this as you pull down.. Works great.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover! It ain't cheap, but great stuff. Doesn't seem to hurt paint. I always have it on hand, in the shop, at home, in the race trailer. If you can start at the top of a vinyl sticker maybe using some heat to get started, then squirt a bit of this this as you pull down.. Works great.
    Thanks for all the good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Thanks for all the good ideas!
    My local store did not have this in stock but recommended a brand x. I have used it a bit now on the car. It seems ok but struggles with the thickest sticky stuff. Tomorrow I will try some of the others to find one that takes the least elbow grease.

I also want to modify the foam inside my new full face helmet to clear my glasses ear piece. Can I use heat to mold the shape of the foam a bit? I want to make a groove in the temple area a bit bigger to prevent interference with the ear piece... can I heat it a bit and mold it with something round, like a bit of hose?

I got the stickers off and now after working on and off for two weeks or so have successfully two toned the car, sort of, or put a big stripe on it.

I'll get some pictures of it.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

What product did you use that worked the best?

I just helped a neighbor de-badge his new GMC truck. He was using Goo-Gone and some other "adhesive remover" product that his son-in-law had. I managed to mow my front and back yard while he was still working on one emblem. I brought over the WD40 and a rag. Accomplished more in 10 seconds than he had in 30 minutes. Told him I did an entire 34' RV, I was determined to find the easiest solution.

Having said that, I bought a new mtn. bike and wanted to remove all the superfluous warning stickers. There was one sticker that had an adhesive that the WD40 didn't like and the Goo-Gone did okay, so obviously it's not a one size fits all solution.

If one product doesn't work fairly easily, try another. Not that much elbow grease required.

I think it was brake cleaner that worked I did not get round to the wd40

Thread Information