Liked: 78

Default RFactor2 Problem

I have been trying to get RFactor 2 to work for the first time, and I'm having a problem I would appreciate help with:

I am running the software on a high end ThinkPad with their top current graphics card, and running the Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel along with Trustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals. I'm starting with the Tatuus 2017 car so I can come out and play with you guys if I ever figure out how to work this stuff.

I am using the Barber track to learn on since I figured I need to start with a track I already know pretty well to get used to the sim world.

Now the problem: I can't get the car to go over 80 KPH, no matter what gear I am in. During one of those replays when you stop the program, I noticed the rain light was flashing. So apparently the software thinks I'm in the pit lane even when I am out on track.

I searched around and found a Driver Aids tab, and made the pit speed controller "empty" but that didn't help. Any Ideas anybody?

Thanks all,

Paul

Liked: 138

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    I have been trying to get RFactor 2 to work for the first time, and I'm having a problem I would appreciate help with:

I am running the software on a high end ThinkPad with their top current graphics card, and running the Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel along with Trustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals. I'm starting with the Tatuus 2017 car so I can come out and play with you guys if I ever figure out how to work this stuff.

I am using the Barber track to learn on since I figured I need to start with a track I already know pretty well to get used to the sim world.

Now the problem: I can't get the car to go over 80 KPH, no matter what gear I am in. During one of those replays when you stop the program, I noticed the rain light was flashing. So apparently the software thinks I'm in the pit lane even when I am out on track.

I searched around and found a Driver Aids tab, and made the pit speed controller "empty" but that didn't help. Any Ideas anybody?

Thanks all,

Paul
    Your pit lane limiter is on. You can set a button for it on your wheel in the control settings.

Don't turn it off until you pass the pit lane exit line or you will get a penalty.

Also don't leave pit lane if there is a red light on the exit or you'll be disqualified as well.

The stewards are serious business in this game.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    Your pit lane limiter is on. You can set a button for it on your wheel in the control settings.

Don't turn it off until you pass the pit lane exit line or you will get a penalty.

Also don't leave pit lane if there is a red light on the exit or you'll be disqualified as well.

The stewards are serious business in this game.

Thanks for the tip - that did the trick. Now I've just got to figure out how to drive without crashing. I'm having to run times 30 sec per lap slower than real life just to make it around the track.

I'm going to have to play around with the steering sensitivity or something. This is pretty difficult.

Thanks again for getting me going.

Liked: 138

Well despite knowing the track that is a difficult track to start with.

But as a tip that I've given to help ppl is really reduce your steering inputs at first.

Since you don't have the butt feeling you are training your eyes more and more. Eventually you'll get use to it. But if you reduce steering inputs it helps at first. I find most people steer way too aggressively in a sim, especially when the rear end goes out.

The issue isn't really the steering it's the reaction time to the movement if you attempt to recover a slide aggressively but too late it's over, and it tends to snap back. The snap back is usually what gets you are you can't feel the car recovering.

So if you are sliding, attempt the recovery and try to assume you caught it.

This advice is only true for the beginning. After awhile your brain will compensate.

I find it extraordinary that I'll drive through a corner correcting micro slides that somehow I can "feel" it's very odd but satisfying.

Liked: 447

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that the track always starts out GREEN and is slicker than snot. If you want to practice at a track that isn't the server I have set up, I'd recommend adding about 10-15 AI cars on the track of your choice and letting them run for a while in order to develop a groove to the point where you can see it on track. The traction will increase significantly...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 110

Hi, can someone clever point me in the right direction please.

I would like to run a race series on rFactor 2. Why? It has every track in New Zealand in its library and for our local Formula Ford Association, we would like to race something like a FF (rFactor has a Mygale FF1600).

If I was to do this with iracing, its all point and click and the series is sorted. How do I do this with rFactor?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark elder View Post
    Hi, can someone clever point me in the right direction please.

I would like to run a race series on rFactor 2. Why? It has every track in New Zealand in its library and for our local Formula Ford Association, we would like to race something like a FF (rFactor has a Mygale FF1600).

If I was to do this with iracing, its all point and click and the series is sorted. How do I do this with rFactor?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    If you're just wanting to host a multiplayer race from your own sim PC, you can follow this video tutorial. Essentially, the track and car rfcmp file needs to be installed on the hosting computer and you also need to create a race or series events package that scopes down the hosting server to only the cars and tracks to be used when the online races take place. The client systems joining the events also need to have the same car and tracks installed, but the dedicated server can also be configured to allow the clients to download the tracks and cars you've designated in the event package, it just may take a long time for people to get on and use up a lot of your bandwidth.

https://youtu.be/CNx5nnMyi0s

Setting up a dedicated server is a bit more complex since you need to download tracks from either Steam or a separate stand alone package. You're correct, hosting multiplayer in iRacing is MUCH easier and a lot of the reason why it has excelled in market share along with a big marketing budget. I've recently tried out iRacing again after a 10 year break and still find it's physics to be inferior to rFactor2. It has come a long way though with graphics and physics, but I still prefer rFactor2.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I did switch to Road Atlanta, which is a track I know very well, and within a few sessions was running in the 1:28's without all the off track excursions that I was having at Barber.

Even with letting the Barber track rubber in, the Barber track model seems to have a lack of grip compared to the real world. For example, in the sim, I have not been able to go through the kink on the backstretch flat, but in the real world I can.

All the blind turns at Barber also seem to be even more of a challenge in the sim world when your only senses are a 2-D view. I have some Oculus Rift goggles to try, but I've been putting that off due to all the fiddly software and cables. I swear I think I'd rather change a wheel bearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    Well despite knowing the track that is a difficult track to start with.

But as a tip that I've given to help ppl is really reduce your steering inputs at first.

Since you don't have the butt feeling you are training your eyes more and more. Eventually you'll get use to it. But if you reduce steering inputs it helps at first. I find most people steer way too aggressively in a sim, especially when the rear end goes out.

The issue isn't really the steering it's the reaction time to the movement if you attempt to recover a slide aggressively but too late it's over, and it tends to snap back. The snap back is usually what gets you are you can't feel the car recovering.

So if you are sliding, attempt the recovery and try to assume you caught it.

This advice is only true for the beginning. After awhile your brain will compensate.

I find it extraordinary that I'll drive through a corner correcting micro slides that somehow I can "feel" it's very odd but satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that the track always starts out GREEN and is slicker than snot. If you want to practice at a track that isn't the server I have set up, I'd recommend adding about 10-15 AI cars on the track of your choice and letting them run for a while in order to develop a groove to the point where you can see it on track. The traction will increase significantly...

Thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I did switch to Road Atlanta, which is a track I know very well, and within a few sessions was running in the 1:28's without all the off track excursions that I was having at Barber.

Even with letting the Barber track rubber in, the Barber track model seems to have a lack of grip compared to the real world. For example, in the sim, I have not been able to go through the kink on the backstretch flat, but in the real world I can.

All the blind turns at Barber also seem to be even more of a challenge in the sim world when your only senses are a 2-D view. I have some Oculus Rift goggles to try, but I've been putting that off due to all the fiddly software and cables. I swear I think I'd rather change a wheel bearing...

Which car are you using? We had tried the older VanDiemen (v2) USF2000 car and they had done something to the physics with that version that really made it unrealistic to drive. It was like driving hard treaded tires on ice.... The Tatuus USF2000 car is a dream to drive and handles much more as you would expect to drive a formula car.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 99

Are you using the third-party version of Barber made by "WhereIsBeef" from the Steam workshop? If so, there seems to be a bug in that version where the track is always wet, even when the weather is set to be dry and sunny. If it seems like all of the cars are kicking up spray, that would be an indication that's the problem.

I don't actually have a solution to that; my work-around was to not play that track.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Teuobk View Post
    Are you using the third-party version of Barber made by "WhereIsBeef" from the Steam workshop? If so, there seems to be a bug in that version where the track is always wet, even when the weather is set to be dry and sunny. If it seems like all of the cars are kicking up spray, that would be an indication that's the problem.

I don't actually have a solution to that; my work-around was to not play that track.

Jeff

There's a Barber 2020 version out now from WhereIsBeef. I'm not sure why he didn't just revise his existing version (2015?), but the new version is great!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Thread Information