Liked: 50

Default Air starter to electric conversion Steve Cook

Does anyone know how to contact Steve Cook who I have heard has a conversion for an FGA - B transaxle?

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Default Uncle Steve

I’ll PM you his info. I don’t know if he has a conversion for air to electric, but he does own the setup and tooling to convert Lucas inertia drive starter’ed F1 cars to an in-line gear reduction style starter. Either way, I’ll send you his info.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Liked: 19

Yes, I had taken over the manufacture of the Bob Slade designed DFV electric starters when I couldn't get a unit for my 1972 March 721G. I had used one on my March 741 for several years. Primarily, these are to convert from a Lucas non-reduction starter to a higher torque gear reduction starter. If your gearbox has threaded 'lugs' on the left side of the gearbox maincase you should be able to utilize one of these starters on an application that was originally air.

I adapt later (2000 era) General Motors 5.0L internals, modified to reverse the rotation, in my own billet two piece body. The OD is less than the original Lucas so fitting to an original Lucas bracket is easy. The GM starter was a pre-engaged style with a piggyback solenoid. Mine are inertia style, using a Lucas inertia drive gear unit and a seperate electrical only solenoid.

Dennis Losher recently did such a retro fit to his Shadow DN12. I know of at least one DN9B that has been using my starter for several years. There are approximately 15 F1 cars fitted with this setup. It looks more period correct than the Nippondenso style conversions.

email is
    steve48 'at' pacbell.net

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfv starter.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	91438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFV starters.jpeg 
Views:	441 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	91439  

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by steve48 View Post
    Yes, I had taken over the manufacture of the Bob Slade designed DFV electric starters when I couldn't get a unit for my 1972 March 721G. I had used one on my March 741 for several years. Primarily, these are to convert from a Lucas non-reduction starter to a higher torque gear reduction starter. If your gearbox has threaded 'lugs' on the left side of the gearbox maincase you should be able to utilize one of these starters on an application that was originally air.

I adapt later (2000 era) General Motors 5.0L internals, modified to reverse the rotation, in my own billet two piece body. The OD is less than the original Lucas so fitting to an original Lucas bracket is easy. The GM starter was a pre-engaged style with a piggyback solenoid. Mine are inertia style, using a Lucas inertia drive gear unit and a seperate electrical only solenoid.

Dennis Losher recently did such a retro fit to his Shadow DN12. I know of at least one DN9B that has been using my starter for several years. There are approximately 15 F1 cars fitted with this setup. It looks more period correct than the Nippondenso style conversions.

email is
    steve48 'at' pacbell.net

seriously bitch’in stuff here
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 19

Default Clam Shell Mounts now available.

Starters: $825
    Mounts: $625
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030190.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	101233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7090.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	101232  

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 268

Default starter

Very nicely designed conversion, certainly makes life easier than the air units in terms of hardware, bottles, etc. Seems the price is more than fair for all components. Not being completely familiar with the air starters, is this physically pretty similar with those as far as modifications to tunnels, etc?

Thread Information