Thread: Ivey Engines

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Ivey Engines

Gents;

I sent or had others deliver seven (7) items to Ivey Engines, some to be modified and brought into compliance, and some for repairs. The work done was what you would expect from a world class engine builder, superb in every respect.

My comments are more directed at the customer service. I have never been treated better than how Cameron responded to my needs. ALWAYS courteous and friendly to me on the phone, prompt replies to my emails, and he made my problems, his problems.

This is is a fine organization, built on character, integrity and trust. First cabin all the way.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 04.01.20 at 7:10 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 322

You are stating what those who have used them already know, these guys are the best. They routinely attend FF races here on the west coast and other major events around the nation. While there they offer the support, parts and expertise to their customers - but even those who haven't bought from them. Colin and Cameron picked up my engine at our local race and brought it back with them to reduce shipping on my part, that is pretty good service!

If you get a chance to sit down with them after a race, you will find that they are really nice people and have lots of interesting stories. Thanks Jay, Cameron and Colin (and the rest of the Ivey gang). With them around it takes one less thing off my plate to worry about.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Absolutely top notch !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Default Garagista

I've usually built my own motors, buying core blocks from craigslist and making do with what I can scrounge. I bought the fresh stuff I needed from the Iveys and bolted things together after bailing the machine work out of my local auto machine shop. He is an ex FV and rally driver, so he knows how to read the rule book. George actually does excellent machining and fit work.

Sept. 2018, we are at Portland for the Columbia Vintage Festival and my test day was wasted chasing an elecrtical issue, despite having replaced all my ignition parts. Jay spent almost an hour reversing all my mistakes and found the new Bosch condenser (made in Turkey) was bad. It was the third one I had replaced. "Got any more?" he asked. I went into the trailer and found a grimy "Made in Germany" condenser with a frayed wire in the bottom of the rollaway. I replaced it and "Vroom!" fired right up.

Jay worked several miracles that day, as he does almost every Crossflow Cup race weekend, plus the Monterey Reunion where he had over 70 engines he had laid his hands on racing in the event.

My 60+ hour motor is in Portland in much needed convalescence, getting a new block, with the spare head refurbished. I know it will be money well spent.

Jay, Susan, Cameron, Colin - Thank you all.

Best regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

You probably can’t say enough nice things about the man, and his family. On two separate occasions, he salvaged what would have been otherwise miserable weekends, where I was actually using motors from other builders.

At the 40th, in ‘09, I had a new motor from another builder. It was delivered the night before we were scheduled to leave. It was bolted into the car so that we could transport the car but was neither plumbed or wired. For three days we couldn’t get it to run above 5500 rpm. We replaced just about everything multiple times, including going through the carburetor. Our times were putting us in the middle of the pack. Eventually, Jay wandered over to inquire why the motor was running the way it was. He asked what we had done and we let him know that we had changed everything multiple times. When it came to the carburetor we told him we had gone through it and couldn’t find anything wrong. He went over to the Piper guys, who were paddocked next to us, got one of his carburetors, and put it on our car. That was just prior to Q1. It was my mistake to leave on 13 heat cycle R35s, not having the confidence I should’ve had in Jay’s ability. It instantly moved us up to 11th in qualifying. Ultimately we Q’d 13th because when new R35’s went on the car, one wheel was not secured properly and fell off on the warm-up lap of Q2. We ended up finishing fifth and had a great weekend overall owing it all to Jay.

At COTA, in 2017 we were running an FB car with a brand new motor, from another builder. It came off the dyno fine but, once installed in the car, ultimately wouldn’t run on all 4 cylinders. Again Jay came over and spent a couple of hours fixing It and salvaging our weekend. Needless to say my last four engines have been Ivey’s that have performed flawlessly when we weren’t screwing them up.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

It's possible to ruin an Ivey motor, but it's harder to do.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    It's possible to ruin an Ivey motor, but it's harder to do.

Not for "The Mangler"

Liked: 107

Jay has always been very helpful to me at the track, and doing re-builds (well more so cameron on the phone w/ rebuilds). he got my Brabham running right at Fontana (Carb float issues), and helped me with my FF at laguna when i 'almost' cooked it due to a popped off radiator cap.

i owe him some nice dinners for sure!
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

Default Ivey

I have had nothing but Ivey engines in my cars since 1991. Jay has been directly responsible for almost all of the replacement parts that have kept the class going and brought much better reliability and longevity to the engines. The cost per hour (in inflation adjusted dollars) has been kept down through his efforts. His passion for the class had a great impact on all of us, including many top line pro drivers who made their way up through Formula Ford. I consider it an honer to be a friend of the Ivey family.......but then again that is not a unique thing in the Formula Ford community.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    I have had nothing but Ivey engines in my cars since 1991. Jay has been directly responsible for almost all of the replacement parts that have kept the class going and brought much better reliability and longevity to the engines. The cost per hour (in inflation adjusted dollars) has been kept down through his efforts. His passion for the class had a great impact on all of us, including many top line pro drivers who made their way up through Formula Ford. I consider it an honer to be a friend of the Ivey family.......but then again that is not a unique thing in the Formula Ford community.
    Well said Roland (except for “honor” ) As I like to say the whole Ivey clan is “Good People”). Anyone running a Kent engine of any flavor owes them a heartfelt thank you for all they’ve done for the class. Todd

17. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Not for "The Mangler"
    I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    I resemble that remark
    Lol.

Love ya brother!

Liked: 69

Default Top Notch

I agree with all the praise above.
    The customer service is awesome!!
    I will never go any where else for my FF engines. They are always there to help (even over the phone sometimes) at every race.
    I also agree with the “Honor, Loyalty and integrity” are a few things that come to mind when you think of the Ivey Family.

They are an example of how a business should be ran!

Kim Madrid
    Kim Madrid

CF 291

21. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information