Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default Fuel Pump, regulator, and pressure - GSXR 1000

Considering adjusting/replacing fuel pump, regulator (huge), Filter and resetting fuel pressure on a 07-08 GSXR 1000 (stock). Looking for some input from those well versed with running them in cars (not what the manual says)

What do you use for regulator - current one works but is a monster
    What do you use for pump - Current one works but appears tired
    What do you use for fuel pressure (Planned to connect to my AIM)
    What do you use for fuel filter. I actually used Stohr units in the past.

Feel free to reply or email.
    Thanks in advance!
    Cj

Ctjahn@courtneyjahn.com
    920-904-6099

Liked: 553

I have a big regulator, too. Maybe the same as you have - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29389

It has a couple of nice features, such as vacuum connection, bypass port, easy to adjust, 1/8 NPT port for pressure sensor.

For Aim, I think you'll need to use the VDO type sensors. I always work with the Ferguson's to get Aim parts like that.

I assume your fuel pump is in tank? Mine is not. It is a Bosch 044. Probably overkill for motorcycle engines, but it's perhaps the most common pump on the market. Not too hard to find the right fittings for it, easy to carry a spare.

Regarding fuel filters, I have a screen type on the pickup, then two -6an in line filters. The first one is after the small Facet low pressure pump. The second is a high pressure, tighter mesh after the high pressure pump.

It all seems to work well. I don't know if it is the best set up for someone wanting to run up front, but it's fine for me.

I tried to make the filters accessible so it's not a major job to get them out, take apart and check for debri.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 133

email sent
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Liked: 49

I'm running these for now. Works well

Walbro GSS340BX w/sock filter
    Aeromotive 13129 FPR
    BOSCH 0-986-450-119 filter

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Thanks for all the replies (private, email, and posts)

Thank again everyone.

Just to confirm a couple more things.

To confirm - The inlet and outlet are synonymous. I.E. either can be in/out on the regulator? Only the return is specifically defines (makes sense based upon the design and how it works.....)

And I contacted the manufacturer to check if you can run one without issues on its side rather than vertical. They indicated either would work but does anyone currently run a regulator so the return is horizontal in line with the pressure adjustment.?

All the cars I have had used a fitting with a NPT port for pressure on the outlet side of the regulator. I wonder why none of my cars ever used the onboard pressure port on the regulator itself? Am I missing something - more direct pressure confirmation on the outside of the reg? I can go either way and have the equipment to do it.

thx
    cj

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn View Post
    To confirm - The inlet and outlet are synonymous.
    Interesting. I *thought* my inlet was explicitly labeled, but it isn't. I do have different style ports for some reason, but I think you're right. They seem to go into the same area.

Does anyone currently run a regulator so the return is horizontal in line with the pressure adjustment?
    I don't, but agree it should be okay.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Update

Ok.....

I have a new fuel Pump Bosch (I think it was the 044 model - about 2.5" in dia and regulator -
    Aeromotive 13109
    . 40 micron filter. All new stuff. All new lines.

This is the first time I used an AIM (opposed to a static gage) to monitor fuel pressure with the sending unit right in the regulator itself.

I only ran the car for a short time because I found a pinhole leak in the swirlpot but the fuel pressure actually increased with RPM and was not static? Should it stay static? Example 30psi at idle, 40 at about 3k and increasing to 50. Should I plumb the sensor to after the regulator? Or is something else going on?

Battery is a lithium and fully charged. Battery voltage remains around 12.5 - 13volts. Power is strong.

Or am I worrying too much?

CJ

That sounds odd to me. Those are pretty big variances.

Do you have the vacuum line connected to it? If yes, then that might explain the differences, but I always thought that vacuum line connected would only vary the pressure by a few pounds, but not a large difference.

Pinhole leaks are a bitch, aren't they? :-)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    That sounds odd to me. Those are pretty big variances.

Do you have the vacuum line connected to it? If yes, then that might explain the differences, but I always thought that vacuum line connected would only vary the pressure by a few pounds, but not a large difference.

Pinhole leaks are a bitch, aren't they? :-)
    No vac line connected. I agree. Tempted to plug the regulator and put a pressure sensor in post regulator but need to wait for waterline repair.

Yes. on the pinhole. Really disappointed considering it is brand new new water filler and not pressure tested prior to shipment. Having a local welding shop repair but I fear the results.

Cj

Liked: 231

I wanted to come back to this thread as I am plumbing my Hayabusa powered sports racers and have a few questions about fuel for motorcycle engines.

I have a coarse fuel filter and fuel pump in cell and plan to go from there to my regulator and then off to the fuel rail.

I want to install an external 10 micron fine fuel filter and I am wondering if it should go between the fuel pump (cell) output and the regulator, or between the regulator and the fuel rail?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 49

I've always installed it between the fuel cell and regulator. Reason being is that I have my fuel pressure sensor at the regulator. If the fuel filter becomes dirty to the point of starving the system, I'll see that on telemetry. You'll also be able to adjust the fuel pressure and account for the losses due to the fuel filter.

If you were to install the filter post regulator, you'll never know what the true fuel pressure is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Liked: 309

Mark, your new cell comes with a pre-installed HP pump with sock-filter. That filter is there to prevent debris inside the cell blocking the pump, but is fairly course so should be supplemented by a second (10-micron or better) filter inline after the pressure regulator. Placement of filter and regulator is optional, but as has been pointed out, placing them in the engine bay (on the aft side of the engine away from the headers) encourages you to frequently check the filter and makes adjusting pressure a snap.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Thanks to both of you for your input! I am pretty set that I would like to keep all this stuff in the cavity above the fuel cell but am working at being thoughtful to design my aluminum fuel cell cover and my replacement belt / HANS subframe to make this a relatively easy to access area.

I hadn't thought about having to change fuel pressure regularly though - is this something that people are often doing? I would have thought it would be relatively "set and forget"?

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Just adding onto others' suggestions above...

I like having the FP sensor close to the engine (or, the last component before the fuel rail) so your gauge reads what the engine is actually seeing.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    Thanks to both of you for your input! I am pretty set that I would like to keep all this stuff in the cavity above the fuel cell but am working at being thoughtful to design my aluminum fuel cell cover and my replacement belt / HANS subframe to make this a relatively easy to access area.

I hadn't thought about having to change fuel pressure regularly though - is this something that people are often doing? I would have thought it would be relatively "set and forget"?

-Mark
    My FP Regulator is located above the fuel cell behind the cover. Although I rarely have to adjust it, I am able to reach the regulator lock nut and adjusting rod without removing the cover, seat, etc.

I have the fuel filter, a manual FP gauge, and a 5000 series Jiffy-tite fitting located in the fuel line behind the rear of the engine. The Jiffy-Tite fitting doubles as a fuel inspection port and a means of emptying the side mount fuel cell. Although I admire your goal of making the area on top of the fuel cell easily accessible it would still take removal of the seat, manipulating the belts, and cover to get to it. I prefer the ease and simplicity of the fuel filter being in the open.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Quote Originally Posted by Farrout48 View Post
    My FP Regulator is located above the fuel cell behind the cover. Although I rarely have to adjust it, I am able to reach the regulator lock nut and adjusting rod without removing the cover, seat, etc.

I have the fuel filter, a manual FP gauge, and a 5000 series Jiffy-tite fitting located in the fuel line behind the rear of the engine. The Jiffy-Tite fitting doubles as a fuel inspection port and a means of emptying the side mount fuel cell. Although I admire your goal of making the area on top of the fuel cell easily accessible it would still take removal of the seat, manipulating the belts, and cover to get to it. I prefer the ease and simplicity of the fuel filter being in the open.
    I appreciate the input, genuinely! One sense I don't have is how often does a filter typically get changed in these cars? And does the regulator typically require adjusting each race?

Cheers
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

With the mechanical FP gauge in plain sight, I check it everytime I do an engine warm-up. I have never seen it vary from what I set it at. Simple answer for me is it almost never gets adjusted.

The fuel filter has been clean every time I inspect it for a couple of years now. Three years ago, there seemed to be a rash of dirty fuel in SWFL at a couple of tracks. Then I was checking it more often and having to clean it. Some guys were putting large fuel filters in their filler hoses. But, if you suddenly start seeing engine performance issues, an easy thing to check is the fuel filter. Five minutes for me and I can have it disassembled and cleaned.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Liked: 270

Chiming back in with my build details, for completeness...

hi-pressure fuel pump: Airtex E2000 (fitment is Ford F150 5.0L '87)
    fuel filter: Earl's 230626-ERL with 10micron replaceable filter element
    regulator: AEM 25-302BK

I use a Longacre pressure sensor plumbed in by the regulator, last stop before the rail, wired into my DL1 - pressure is fairly steady, within +/- 1psi under all conditions.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Default Update -

This has been a great discussion. Thank you all for your input...Very educational

From the past/last update: New fuel Pump Bosch (I think it was the 044 model - about 2.5" in dia) and regulator -
    Aeromotive 13109
    . 40 micron filter (POST regulator). All new stuff. All new lines. This is the first time I used an AIM (opposed to a static gage) to monitor fuel pressure with the sending unit right in the regulator itself.

Fast forward to results after my first race. AIM pressure monitoring data shows consistent fuel pressure (where I noted an issue before). Plugs look a little lean so I pumped up pressure a little bit until the new O2 sensor arrives. Thanks to Veracity Data for the help I got full data on the engine even showing injector levels across the board and all the vitals. Pretty cool.

Below is a picture of the new setup (front) and the old setup (rear). Like many of the items I replaced on the car I set them up to be somewhat easily swappable. I did the same with the ECU/ Voltage Regulator/ Electronics/ etc... And other components -
    So I built the bases so I can replace them modularly. (and hopefully quickly if something happens)

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn View Post
    Aeromotive 13109
    . 40 micron filter (POST regulator).

Below is a picture of the new setup (front) and the old setup (rear). Like many of the items I replaced on the car I set them up to be somewhat easily swappable. I did the same with the ECU/ Voltage Regulator/ Electronics/ etc... And other components -
    So I built the bases so I can replace them modularly. (and hopefully quickly if something happens)

Your picture does not work for me. It's also worth noting that I think 40 micron is a lot coarser than most run for the final filter; I believe 5-10 micron is more typical for this spot. I just bought an Aeromotive 12347 for this spot.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

No can see pictures here either.

Aren't Veracity Data great?!
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Are most people running vacuum hoses to their regulators? We fired the engine for the first time and I set it to 42psi which I found online and the motor appeared to be running crazy rich. Any idea if this is the correct fuel pressure for a Gen 2 Busa?

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Thread Information