Liked: 977

Default Small Parts Storage

I ran across the following thread on Garage Journal which provides all sorts of methods to store small parts.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=289281

All of my parts boxes are just in large plastic totes <br><br>

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I have about 20 of those tackle box drawers in a steel-framed cart that's sort of a backwards handcart to make it easy to place in the trailer and garage.

but man those rack slides are over the top. would cost me more to build that than all my spares are worth!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 702

I had been working on different designs to hold all my small parts bins until I saw Rick's hand cart thing at Indy a few years ago. Now I just need some extra time to build it.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

if I had a spool gun I'd make it out of AL.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Without pictures......
    You got 1 good leg. Take a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    if I had a spool gun I'd make it out of AL.
    I'm considering riveting and bonding aluminum tube. I need to work up a BOM to compare cost. And then ignore it...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I'm considering riveting and bonding aluminum tube. I need to work up a BOM to compare cost. And then ignore it...

.... said the man with tools and time!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    but man those rack slides are over the top. would cost me more to build that than all my spares are worth!
    I made a couple pieces of furniture that my wife wanted with sliding shelves and sliding drawers concealed behind doors. I was able to find decent quality slides in bulk, quite reasonably on ebay. Turned out about $3.50 a drawer/shelf for full extension, ball bearing, soft close in 12",

Liked: 536

I always meant to build one of these but lost all the baby food jars years ago in a move. I suppose I could buy a bunch of the mashed bananas jars...

There are so many great storage ideas on Garage Journal and Pinterest but one of my key requirements is that it be portable so I can take it to the track. If it's heavy, I want to be able to roll it into my trailer. I've been collecting Razor scooters for the nice wheels & bearings that I plan to deploy on any number of fun projects. Once the car is done, of course.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Here's mine. I'm trying to remember the name of the company that makes the boxes - Flambeau?

The handles and wheels face YOU. That way it's easily stuck up against the wall in the garage or trailer. To keep the boxes in there's a round bar inside of a square tube that goes in two holes across the front from top to bottom. The round part is longer on top so you poke it through the top, swing it over the bottom, and then it drops into the bottom hole and holds everything in place. Couldn't get into the trailer to put it all together for a better description.

Loaded, it's 200-300 lbs. There-s a piece of aluminum riveted to the top to make a shelf to put the boxes on when you need them.

The grips are old bicycle hand grips and the wheels came off a high-wheel lawn mower I blew up a while back.

With some more aluminum angle and some sheet for floors you could make drawers like in Jon's OP. That's a pretty sweet deal on rack slides. I'm used to the stuff at work - usually at least $100/pr.

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 95

Default FW it's worth

Although I have support from Wurth I find their system excellent. What I did was install the second shelf unit inside the standup cabinet in my trailer and now just transfer the boxes we need from shop to trailer. Their shelf units are modular so you can do whatever you like. Jim.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Thread Information