Thread: Fe2

Liked: 23

Default Fe2

What’s the thought on Fe2 running F2000?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 10

I really like the idea but am clearly biased. I think the times we are running in FE2 are pretty close the F2000 times, but haven’t done any deep analysis. It never hurts to get more cars on track together if the cars and Laptimes are similar enough.

Tony Grau
    Competition One Racing
    SCCA Central Division FE2 CSR
    815-596-3009

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liked: 52

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    What’s the thought on Fe2 running F2000?
    An interesting idea, but is anyone actually talking about it?

Liked: 111

We are now apparently. I'd love to be back to FRP

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Road America is probably not the best track to compare, but you had the 2 best FE2 cars/drivers racing with the best F2000 package (Misha Goikhberg in a Citation with the new radials) at the 2019 June Sprints. The FE2 cars had too much grunt of the corners to make up for the marginal top end advantage of the Citation. FE2 was about .5-1 sec per lap quicker with what were all very good drivers, and the best cars in each class. All 3 were within a second at the end of the Saturday race. I expect the FE2 would have a bigger advantage on most tracks.

If all the FC and F2000 drivers would work together to include USF cars and support the class with the different engines, and tires, then the class would be much more healthy. But they don't, and I cannot see embracing another alternate package. As usual, the biggest pushback will come from those that won't commit currently. Full disclosure: I have no driver for the Citation in 2020, and not committed currently.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 23

Greg,
    I am asking this for FRP and not SCCA.... what is the difference from the FE2 car and the MZR F2000 car already legal for FRP. I am asking about the engine and transmissions pretty much..

greg

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

We'll look at anything... however, there are differences between the FE2 and FC's- wheels/tires, horsepower, aero, weight. All of it can be mitigated with a little thought. The MZR and the FE2 are more similar and would be easier to equalize.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    ... what is the difference from the FE2 car and the MZR F2000 car already legal for FRP. I am asking about the engine and transmissions pretty much..
    I do not know. Different engine builders, different teams, different people, have different opinions on that. Based on engine dyno, they are supposed to be very close. Unfortunately, with differences in driver quality, chassis development, team development, and team quality, many people have trouble being competitive and engine performance is easy to blame. I have heard the complaints from each side.

The only thing I have to add, is that you should not expect to buy a surplus spec car for $25K and beat well-developed $100K cars. Very good teams with very good drivers may be able to do that, but that should not be expected. I think it is very cool that people can buy these awesome cars for those prices, and have a blast running near the front.

I think the FE2 car is a completely different situation, which is clearly faster (in current spec) and which I have not thought about (before 2 hours ago). I have not formed any opinion and was unaware of any discussion about them running in FRP. As noted many times previously, I would suggest that anybody who is given the opportunity to race with FRP, should jump at that opportunity.
    Last edited by problemchild; 03.16.20 at 3:54 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thread Information