Liked: 138

Default Get out of my way light

Hey guys so I thought I would share this project I just finished on my PFM.

My friend wanted a light for his formula Renault so I agreed to make him something he pays for materials for 2 lights in trade for labour.

It took me far longer than I expected to finish but I had some fun designing it along the way and some frustrations... a few fried electronics but cheap parts fried so no big deal.

Anyways it was designed to mount on the side of our roll hoops. Similar to what the F1 cars have on the side for cameras.

Designed and 3D printed by me clean install and works! It's bright as hell.

Choice to have it blink, solid or police flash cycles as well as a solid and the blink 10 times push button.

Oh and before someone says it will be broken when they tow me, I have a solution for that as well. Hook going on the other side.

Attached video and some photos

https://youtu.be/5keXzdaGKMc

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 1397

How much research did you do on this idea? I can see that it might really impair your vision as the driver from reflections of your mirrors and almost every shiny thing in front of you that is part of your car. And what would happen if you look to the side the light in mounted.

Once you get past the above issue, how about the driver in front of you who gets a blast of light in his mirrors?

I could be all wet and it is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I could be all wet and it is perfectly fine.
    Yup

I sat in the car and had my wife hold the light there on full you can't see it it's way higher than the mirrors / vision.

Drivers ahead of me will see it though that's for sure, and the point. Mostly to be used when lapping with sedans or with lapped traffic.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Sort of a chrome horn for a formula car.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 33

How did you make the faring? I assume the housing unit is the only bit that is 3d printed? Also what material did you go for with the print? I have friends who do printing for me for my costuming props.

This is an interesting idea. I would be curious to know more, it wouldn't be a bad idea to mount on my Spec Racer Ford when I hopefully do some track days, especially how low profile my car is. Don't have that nice wing to help grab peoples attention.

One comment I would say, you might not want to go with the seizure mode of flashing. People running the events prob would prefer you not to be confused with an EV vehicle...yes I know I know, but "drivers." I mean hell gotten complaints about a hat from drivers with one of my flaggers. For Le Mans/IMSA it used to be one push equal one flash or a higher sequence. They instituted a rule that it could be only 3 pulses at a certain frequency, as it was starting to get a bit out of hand.

Just 2 cents as you want to grab their attention you are coming, and let you buy other than them getting all messed up and causing problems.

Would love to know more about this, and if you might even do a run of them.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Quote Originally Posted by TrackBrat View Post
    How did you make the faring? I assume the housing unit is the only bit that is 3d printed? Also what material did you go for with the print? I have friends who do printing for me for my costuming props.

This is an interesting idea. I would be curious to know more, it wouldn't be a bad idea to mount on my Spec Racer Ford when I hopefully do some track days, especially how low profile my car is. Don't have that nice wing to help grab peoples attention.

One comment I would say, you might not want to go with the seizure mode of flashing. People running the events prob would prefer you not to be confused with an EV vehicle...yes I know I know, but "drivers." I mean hell gotten complaints about a hat from drivers with one of my flaggers. For Le Mans/IMSA it used to be one push equal one flash or a higher sequence. They instituted a rule that it could be only 3 pulses at a certain frequency, as it was starting to get a bit out of hand.

Just 2 cents as you want to grab their attention you are coming, and let you buy other than them getting all messed up and causing problems.

Would love to know more about this, and if you might even do a run of them.
    I used PLA to print it as it's fairly rigid, I used PETG to print the control box as it is more heat resistant and flexible.

I printed the part that connects to my rollhoop with the led light in it the, square light just goes inside that case which is 2 pieces screwed together at the bottom.

If by fairing you mean the part over the rollhoop that's part of the PFM no exposed bar, almost identical to a formula enterprise. If you have a solid bar this may be more difficult but I'm sure you could find another location to mount something.

I agree the best mode for the light really is just ON. And with a push of the button I get about 10 flashes. Anything else may get annoying. The light itself has 14 modes so I wanted to keep the ability to use them for fun, likely will never use them on track to be honest, hardware was the same it was just a software change to get the other modes anyways.

Would I make a run of them? Perhaps! May need some tweaking depending on mounting locations I think.

Liked: 1397

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    Yup

I sat in the car and had my wife hold the light there on full you can't see it it's way higher than the mirrors / vision.

Drivers ahead of me will see it though that's for sure, and the point. Mostly to be used when lapping with sedans or with lapped traffic.
    What is the output of the lights you are using?

I hope you do a lot of careful testing to see how this light will affect other formula car drivers. As you know, most formula car drivers have their mirrors angled so that they get a good view of anyone approaching from behind with only a slight eye movement. Too bright and that could be a very unpleasant and possibly a hazardous distraction. Not unlike someone coming up behind you, at night, on the highway with their bright lights or a hi powered driving light on.

Done right, you may be onto something helpful.

I can certainly understand your issues with tin top drivers even seeing you. I have been on the track in similar situations trying to maneuver a small formula car around a sedan.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

All the radicals around here have a light that is similar to this but 4 rows. It is CRAZY bright and I find it nothing but helpful to see them.

Honestly during the day this is great you just see a bright flash of green when you check your mirror and you know there is someone there.

last year I simply bolted a white LED on the top of the rollhoop and many commented they liked that they could see me coming.

Liked: 3787

In mixed class run groups with a wide range of speeds, it might be a good plan. Notice in IMSA racing the prototypes are almost constantly flashing.

I'm guessing if the light bothers you too much, just move over and it won't bother you any more.

I walked into the local Autozone a few months back and for $39 bought this super bright 12v LED strobe that was programmed to flash in something like 36 different patterns in two colors. Amazing technology for prices we couldn't imagine even ten years ago.

I use it on my truck occasionally to be seen, and on Mrs Frog's golfcart when she is driving the grandkids around the neighborhood.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Seb called and said it should be a blue light. He wants one too.

Liked: 536

Yeah debated about blue vs green but the green seems to work well and not as distracting as blue perhaps.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

what about building this into a custom mirror housing and run the wire up the mounting post?

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    what about building this into a custom mirror housing and run the wire up the mounting post?
    Interesting idea Mike! It would be a very large mirror though unless you could source a smaller led. I saw some thinner ones online so possible. These are quite big and heavy. 180 grams each.

But I like the idea....

Banned
    Liked: 1116

How about a "Here I am! Faster car coming through light"? We really don't want to encourage slower traffic to move into the way trying to do faster cars any favors.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I really like this idea. Small LED lights in each mirror are more that enough for someone to notice you behind.
    If someone never checks their mirrors for faster traffic, blasting everyone with a bright light isn't the answer.

The super-bright light blast is unnecessary, probably annoying and I would expect it to be banned.

Something like this on the mirrors:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-12V-Ea...e/153705080309

Positioned so you see both head on, but with some side visibility when not head on. You'll get noticed.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    How about a "Here I am! Faster car coming through light"? We really don't want to encourage slower traffic to move into the way trying to do faster cars any favors.
    YES. This light needs to go with the education that the front car shouldn’t drastically move to “get out of the way”. Just be cognizant of the faster/smaller/different car behind you.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

If I was in a position where the only place I had to race my formula car was with slow sedans, I would put my energy and focus into finding somewhere else to race, OR get a slow sedan. I watched a friend in a a FF get run over by a Datsun. That he survived was just dumb luck, but as a driver, he was scarred for life. The Datsun driver never raced again. I promised myself I would never put myself in that situation.

No safety light or flag would have made any difference in his situation. Two drivers made less than perfect decisions.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    If I was in a position where the only place I had to race my formula car was with slow sedans, I would put my energy and focus into finding somewhere else to race, OR get a slow sedan. I watched a friend in a a FF get run over by a Datsun. That he survived was just dumb luck, but as a driver, he was scarred for life. The Datsun driver never raced again. I promised myself I would never put myself in that situation.

No safety light or flag would have made any difference in his situation. Two drivers made less than perfect decisions.

^^ This

I did it once, a Friday test day. I nearly got run over by an IT car and did get punted by a SRF. Honor satisfied, I never did it again. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

We race in formula libre.

Think PFM vs V .. 50 sec lap time difference.

It is what it is.

I've been out with sedans, never an issue cause I'm passing them... wait for point by and go.

Certainly would not want to do it without point by though.

Liked: 268

Default passing lights

People should be checking mirrors constantly anyway, if this was on the idiots who never look will have another reason not to look. You are responsible for knowing what is coming up behind you!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The danger is not in idiots, or pointing, or passing. If a Mustang spins around a blind corner, stopped on the line, and you arrive at speed in your formula car, T-boning the Mustang ..... Or if you spin in the same situation, and the Mustang T-bones you .....

Yes, "it is what is", and racing is dangerous, but this could be one mistake between 2 competent drivers. Please, if you get shuffled into being on-track in these mixed groups, give it some thought, and make a decision that you are comfortable with. I would lobby for splitting tracktime with better groups.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thread Information