Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default FB to FA engines

With FB going to FA in SCCA has anyone heard of what we are allow
    to do to a GSXR 1000??
    I just got the 2020 GCR and all it states is refer to December 2019 bulletin
    that just tells you how to measure the head and valve seats, and we can have
    13.5 compression ratio, and weight is 1025 LBS

Has there been any other info?

Liked: 977

Liked: 49

Liked: 553

I wonder why a bigger motorcycle engine like a Hayabusa, possibly stock, isn't an option for FA. Seems like that would be a lower cost, maybe more reliable option than a 1000cc engine with 14.5:1 compression.

Just curious. I assume there's a reason that hasn't occurred to me.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I wonder why a bigger motorcycle engine like a Hayabusa, possibly stock, isn't an option for FA. Seems like that would be a lower cost, maybe more reliable option than a 1000cc engine with 14.5:1 compression.

Perhaps because they seldom remain "stock" for long?
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 896

I suspect that the club does not want to loose more of the conventional FA cars,
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Banned
    Liked: 1116

While, I'm certain the stock Hayabusa would be much lower cost and more reliable, it would also be down in the neighborhood of 20% in the HP race.

As Jay alluded to, protection of those with political clout and a more substantial investment.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default engine

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    I suspect that the club does not want to loose more of the conventional FA cars,
    Still little confused?
    We can not get to 14.5 compression without changing pistons from stock, and rods from stock,
    and not sure how that will help without doing some head and cam work, so now we are NOT stock and
    still short on horse power,, this engine line does not say we do not have to be stock? it just said allow 14.5 compression.

A P2 or DSR motor built up with pistons, rods, cams, and head work is between 193-201 HP, with just increasing the compression
    radio I don't think we are gaining much?

Also the GCR states that if you use a GSXR 1000 past 2008 no modification is allowed, they are about 190-195 HP stock. in P2

I guess I am wondering if I am legal by building a P2 motor in FA. (seems like a gray area)

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by david oleary View Post
    Still little confused?
    We can not get to 14.5 compression without changing pistons from stock, and rods from stock,
    and not sure how that will help without doing some head and cam work, so now we are NOT stock and
    still short on horse power,, this engine line does not say we do not have to be stock? it just said allow 14.5 compression.
    You can do a whole lot to that engine per the rules. The limitations are currently 13.5:1 compression, 1000cc MC-based, FA engine rules.

Read what you can do in FA under the engine rules and re-evaluate your plan. P2 engine rules are much more restrictive than what is currently permitted in MC powered FA cars.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    You can do a whole lot to that engine per the rules. The limitations are currently 13.5:1 compression, 1000cc MC-based, FA engine rules.

Read what you can do in FA under the engine rules and re-evaluate your plan. P2 engine rules are much more restrictive than what is currently permitted in MC powered FA cars.

Imo Daryl is correct!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 80

So I'm curious, ~7 months in to the 2020 season now - have any former FB drivers built the more-or-less unlimited 1000cc engines now allowed in FA?

Seems like mostly potentially a return to the bad old days of DSR where half the field would blow a motor over the course of the weekend, and the other half (like me!) ran stock engines that lasted for years.

The newer liter motors all make around 200rwhp in stock form when optimized...with 14.5 compression, headwork, cams, I'm sure that goes up to 210 or 220 or so?

Anyway, just curious if anybody has done it yet and how it's working out...

-Jake

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information