Liked: 313

Default SCCA Coronavirus statement

I just visited the SCCA website. I think they did an OUTSTANDING job of putting their statement at the top of the page and speaking common sense. Each organization is to evaluate their event in light of local conditions and warnings or restrictions imposed by local officials.

I think another risk to remember is that you are probably facing at least as much exposure via rest areas, gas stations, motels and restaurants as you are at the actual event.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 319

Was it five pages too?
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    I just visited the SCCA website. I think they did an OUTSTANDING job of putting their statement at the top of the page and speaking common sense. Each organization is to evaluate their event in light of local conditions and warnings or restrictions imposed by local officials.

I think another risk to remember is that you are probably facing at least as much exposure via rest areas, gas stations, motels and restaurants as you are at the actual event.
    I agree Dave!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Up here in Washington State they have put the restriction on groups of 250 or more people. Which should be no problem for most Northwest Region road racing events....

I keed, I keed!

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default hey

my bocce ball league cancelled the opening event yesterday!

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    my bocce ball league cancelled the opening event yesterday!
    That pushes this pandemic thing to a whole different level !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Oscar Mayer has cancelled appearances of the Weinermobile. The humanity!

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 63

The San Francisco region held there regional rounds 3 and 4 this past weekend. They had a nice turn out with many happy people pleased with there decsion to hold the event. It was really nice to focus on somthing we love to do verses being bombarded by all the crazy stuff going. Two thumbs up!

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

I criticize SCCA when they deserve it, and I support them when they get it right. The latter is usually for the fine people that are responsible for making events happen. I believe the people involved in the Road Atlanta event played the situation the best it could be played, and the correct decision was made at the appropriate time. Thanks!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

15. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    ....I believe the people involved in the Road Atlanta event played the situation the best it could be played, and the correct decision was made at the appropriate time. Thanks!
    I agree. I think they were trying to hold the event but they felt additional pressure based on the Governor's statements and calls to action.

Now I'm anticipating SVRA to do the same for following weekends event at Road Atlanta.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

I thank the SCCA made the right call at the right time. They didn’t contribute to any panic and pushed decision making to local authorities, which I commend.

The big issue we’ll face in the aftermath is the economic clean up. With restaurants and bars forced to close that’s a lot of people without rent money, car payment money, etc etc.

Bars and restaurants closed. No groups bigger than 10. Stocks down another 13%.

Me thinks racing ain’t going to happen for awhile.
    Last edited by Dave Harmison; 03.16.20 at 4:47 PM.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 295

Bars and restaurants closed. No groups bigger than 10. Stocks down another 13%.

Me thinks racing ain’t going to happen for awhile.
    I'm afraid you are right, though I would not be surprised if the Columbus In group still runs on the 28th....and if they do I plan to be there. I'll probably be relieving myself in my old gatoraide bottle in the trailer and eating pbj sandwiches from home (I usually do anyhow).

Liked: 604

Cent. Fla. Region posted something today discussing COVID and getting back on track........ www.cfrscca.org
    It partly discusses how people at registration might now wear PPE .... really? ..... at the beginning of the thread Dave mentioned about exposure elsewhere along the way getting to the track - and I agree ...what sort of irrational fears are going on out there?

If you're from Michigan I guess you'll know to not buy or bring garden hose to the track with you.

CFR mentions hand sanitizer hard to find and what they said seems to imply without it there will be no racing - and they mention thinking outside the box - well here's a thought for that one > use vodka, cheap vodka can still be found - seriously doubt they'll see the fact that it would suffice - the reason they won't see it is they'll be too blinded by the stereotypical jokes.

CFR also mentions something to think about > new track requirements. Who knows what that means? Example: if you're a corner worker and you go up to a car to assist a driver in trouble, will you need to wear a mask the track says?

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post

CFR mentions hand sanitizer hard to find and what they said seems to imply without it there will be no racing - and they mention thinking outside the box - well here's a thought for that one > use vodka, cheap vodka can still be found - seriously doubt they'll see the fact that it would suffice - the reason they won't see it is they'll be too blinded by the stereotypical jokes.
    My understanding is that the booze must be 60% (120 proof) or higher to be effective in the homemade sanitizer. That's what prompted Titos to put out a statement early on that their vodka should not be used to make hand sanitizer.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

well here's a thought for that one > use vodka, cheap vodka can still be found
    It turns out you need at least 80% pure alcohol to kill the virus. So you are talking Everclear which is not cheap.

Brian

Liked: 604

It simply takes longer....use liberally....rub longer.

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

It simply takes longer....use liberally....rub longer.
    You want to kill the germs - not give them a buzz and a rub!

Liked: 270

If you're from Michigan I guess you'll know to not buy or bring garden hose to the track with you.
    Oh hell no - we're gonna be stocking up to bring gardening supplies home!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

28. The following members LIKED this post:

kea

Liked: 7

Default Rest areas

Just traveled non-stop from Rochester, NY to Titusville, FL. 3 gas stops and probably 7-8 rest stops. I found all rest areas to be open and extremely clean. The traffic was extremely low so we only encountered a person at one stop. The doors were blocked open so we didn't have to touch any doors except in a Georgia rest area. We wore N95 masks in the rest areas and I wore gloves at the gas stations. The only problem we encountered was at the Florida I95 border check-point. We had Florida plates but admitted we came from NY so we had to be interviewed and fill out a document promising to self quarantine for 14 days. Not a problem because we had several weeks of food in our coolers.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information