Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default Boorish Behavior

I was going to post this link https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files ... 1583423087 and draw attention to the new prohibition on boorish behavior but that in itself would probably be boorish on my part. Thankfully I am no longer a member of the club.
    Marty

Liked: 984

As I understand it, the policy was adopted after some poor behavior entangled the club. It is an unfortunate necessity in this digital world. Back in the day a good punch in the nose would have probably resolved the issue. If everyone behaved, this would not be necessary.

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    I was going to post this link https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files ... 1583423087 and draw attention to the new prohibition on boorish behavior but that in itself would probably be boorish on my part. Thankfully I am no longer a member of the club.
    Marty
    Thanks for the Friday afternoon laugh. That announcement is absolutely hysterical!

Nothing like an old buys club keeping the customers, oh sorry. members in line!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 896

Marty
    Marty , that link doesn't work for me can you post the entire link?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files ... 1583423087
    is the only link I have. If it doesn't work, I blame it on my technological illiteracy. After all, I still design using pencil-cad!
    M

Liked: 1112

It works for me.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1900

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

Lol !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Marty , that link doesn't work for me can you post the entire link?
    Jay, that link opens a PDF so if your computer or browser block them or can't handle them, the link won't work. Perhaps the document is available on the SCCA website.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 295

Probably boils back down to insurance. I have no issue with being expected to be polite.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Many people on the board are probably self-employed or work for a small company. In today’s corporate world this is unfortunately pretty standard stuff. The punch in the nose would probably work but violate old SCCA sensibilities. NASCAR on the other hand.... (oops I am in trouble).

chrisz

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Is this for real... Sarcasm is prohibited behavior??? Is the club trying to control our speech???

It is early for April Fools Day.

I guess a lot of the comments on here could get one expelled from the club

Liked: 295

Naaaah. It'll only ever come into play when two type A's square off and one feels Pizzed on.

Liked: 536

Oh yeah, those rules will really help to cut down on trolls.

Oh crap, that's sarcasm. I'm doomed.

Do they say anything about churlish behavior?

Liked: 319

Default I'm in trouble

I was just going to change my avatar to this:

Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

18. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 802

The idea that the scca believes they are going to police internet civility may be the funniest thing I’ll read this year ????
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 3787

Funny thing... the Carters have managed with the help of all of us to keep Apexspeed pretty damn civil.

I play on about 7+ forums. Afterall, I have a motorhome (2 forums), I have a Porsche powered Beetle (2 forums), I have a lawn tractor (2 forums), Ford truck (1 Forum)And of course Grassroots Motorsports (with all their code words: Berkeley, E36M3, Canoe, Flounder, Shiny Happy Person, etc.)

I got lectured on one forum (not GRM) for trying to post in Purple and Bold. They don't allow it. I thought it was complete Bull E36M3.
    I basically told them they were Shiny Happy people and to Berkeley Off.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I will taunt you again.

People are always so brave when they're on a keyboard, where the person they insulted can't poke them in the snot locker. I always try to be as creative as possible so the victim is not sure if they've been insulted or not. Now go get your shine box.

23. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I will taunt you again.

People are always so brave when they're on a keyboard, where the person they insulted can't poke them in the snot locker. I always try to be as creative as possible so the victim is not sure if they've been insulted or not. Now go get your shine box.
    Soooo...if she weighs the same as a duck...she's made of wood...and, therefore...

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

If you read the entire five pages you might well wonder how such as myself weren't ever thrown out of the organization !
    Quite a document indeed.
    I guess because there was no social media or internet to express sarcasm or rudeness or raised voice or interrupt or embarrass or taunt anyone because we all did it to the extreme in public and to the intendeds face !
    I bet I'll be reported soon, and often !

27. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1478

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    As I understand it, the policy was adopted after some poor behavior entangled the club. It is an unfortunate necessity in this digital world. Back in the day a good punch in the nose would have probably resolved the issue. If everyone behaved, this would not be necessary.
    The problem at its lowest level, is that our sensibilities have evolved faster than our biology.

Humans respond very well to shame and pain. Now we have decided that shaming people is bad and of course a poke in the nose is battery, even between six year olds. I wonder if bullying has a place rooted in human evolution - that guys try to establish dominance and then weaker guys decide to stand up to it and a leveling takes place. Restrict that in any way and the weak get meeker and the strong get bolder.

I often think that a lot of *******s are like that because they haven't been punched in the nose enough. That can be a metaphor for any type of corrective action that employs a certain amount of shame (cheaters) and pain (fines, etc).

What I can't figure out from the policy is where it is applicable and who is covered.

And just like Froggie, I'm on multiple forums and the Carters have been exemplary at running this site. IRV2 can be a real cesspool at time for instance, and the mods either don't respond or use this global rule on "community Standards" which are so broad there are essentially no rules except in the eye of a particular moderator, and they are terribly inconsistent.

29. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Marty
    First we kill all the lawyers. That would reduce the membership by about half.
    Last edited by mmi16; 03.08.20 at 2:30 PM.

Upon reading of this new standard my first impression was customized to quiet our very own ProblemChild.

32. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 142

filthy English kaaaa nihgit!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    If you read the entire five pages you might well wonder how such as myself weren't ever thrown out of the organization !
    Quite a document indeed.
    I guess because there was no social media or internet to express sarcasm or rudeness or raised voice or interrupt or embarrass or taunt anyone because we all did it to the extreme in public and to the intendeds face !
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Quite a document indeed.
    In all seriousness...

I think this is purely defensive. Every business should have a policy like this. Apparently, if you don't make a statement against bad behavior you're as good as endorsing it..

Just like every othér bad behavior...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Upon reading of this new standard my first impression was customized to quiet our very own ProblemChild.
    They tried to bankrupt me but I survived. They actually forced me to spend a lot of money make my cars faster.

Despite that, I promote SCCA on Instagram and Facebook, and on the RiceRacePrep.com website which has 382,000 hits, including about 500 per day recently. I brought 15 entries to SCCA events last year.

Who would be arrogant and incompetent enough to target a true racer who was supporting their business? That would be spite and retaliation ...... clearly a violation of SCCA standards, and not very good business.

Rand,
    Remember in the pro series you were a benevolent dictator that had "Rule 20" in your bag.

The third letter in SCCA stands for "Club". As a club, if its leadership decides it is against club rules to wear red on Thursdays, then they can enforce that rule. Even to the extent of expulsion from the club.

Now social media has become such a powerful force to be dealt with. Suppose a member starts a nasty media assault directed at other member(s) of the club, and is unrelenting. Without a written standard the club has no way in their power to stop the assault or end the attacker's membership. Now they do. Its a shame it had to come to this, but as Beer Budget posted above, it probably had to be done.

Of course, any enterprise should have such a policy to deal with employees. Not sure how that applies to paying customers. The hypocrisy is the funny part. That, and like the Runoff qualifying criteria, the policy requires 27 pages to state.

I wonder if they will start with the SCCA guy who was trolling on Apexspeed with an alias.
    Last edited by problemchild; 03.08.20 at 9:23 AM.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Coming late to this conversation, and have not read every last post. I am given to understand that the trigger - if I am allowed to use that word - for this was not our own problemchild, but was in fact the dumpster fire that the SCCA members Facebook page had become. I cannot verify that for certain because I stay far, far away from Facebook, Instagram, etc. For good reason, it seems.

The rule is a lot of words, but it boils down to something fairly simple: You are at perfect liberty to be an asshat, just do not associate that with the SCCA brand. Seems like a pretty reasonable demand. There is nothing in the rule that prevents a member from criticizing Club policies. Just do not descend to libel.

There is actually not a whole lot new here. The policy simply provides some guidance/clarity around the longstanding bylaw rules. See Article II Section 4 Termination, Suspension and Renewal:

"(d) The Board of Directors or the governing body of a Regular Member’s Region may suspend a Member at any time for infraction of any Club rule or any other cause if the suspending body deems the action in the best interests of the Club, ..."
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

39. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

When I first read this document I thought it was an attempt at censorship and retaliation against those that speak out. Then I read this on the SCCA website under the news posting: Policy Announced: SCCA Brand Usage in Social Media

The policy does not and is not intended to limit what SCCA members can post in their own social media spaces, although it is preferred that personal social media messages be respectful. The SCCA encourages its Members, Region Leaders, Officials and Volunteers to be champions on behalf of the Club, and social media allows people to do that easily. Members are allowed and urged to share their SCCA experiences and ideas, as well as questions or concerns as they see fit. The language of the policy applies exclusively to the ownership and management of groups, pages, forums and other entities that are titled with “SCCA,” be it on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, forums or other social outlets.

Under this context and if they do indeed intend it to be limited it to what is written on their own branded social media accounts then this is perfectly legit. If they are trying to enforce censorship on other social media sites like this one, then it is not.

After reading some of the above posts I did go briefly on the SCCA sites to see how bad it really was. Guess I must've missed it.
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 03.08.20 at 2:25 PM.
    Firman F1000

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Way to reading comprehension fail, guys.

The asshats pitching fits here are, in fact, still free to act like asshats on social media & elsewhere provided that they don't do so in such a way that leads people to believe that such asshattery is the official position of the SCCA.

This message is not approved by the Sports Car Club of America.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

42. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1478

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    Way to reading comprehension fail
    To be fair to all of us reading-challenged, they did take five pages. I think the navy got it done in less than two....

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1900

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    Way to reading comprehension fail, guys.

The asshats pitching fits here are, in fact, still free to act like asshats
    Thank God !

I had no idea what I was going to do with my spare time.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

46. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information