Liked: 82

Default Where are you mounting your transponder?

As the title says; where are poeple mounting their transponders?

Here is the hitch, as I've only been doing two vintage races a year I usually rent one for the weekend. On the Datsun I zip tie it to the tow hook. There is an easy access point on the back of the car with nothing between where the transponder would mount and the ground. I guess my question should be will the floor of the fiberglass nose effect the transponder?

Note it's been 17 years since I've run my own single seater and we didn't use transponders back then.

Liked: 51

On my 2010 Invader & my 1989 KBS MV the transponder is mounted on the radiator ducting under the side pod to protect it. There is a 3/4" hole cut through the floor so the transponder can look down through the floor at the track. I have an my friends 2006 Invader and my other friends 1992 KBS MVII also in my garage the transpoders are all mounted in similar manner with a hole through the floor.

I have a whole grid for an SCCA Major in my garage if everything was put together and running!!! lol

Liked: 138

It should be fine through the fiberglass. In sedans we just toss it into the door pocket inside the car, it has to go through, plastic, insulation and the metal door and door sill and it works!

As long as it's low enough it should be fine.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I've seen a lot of cars with it mounted on the front frame next to the master cylinders. On my DB6, I have it mounted to the dash bulkhead at the bottom where it only goes through the fiberglass.

As mentioned, if it's low enough, it should work.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Default Transponder

Im coming back after a ten year layoff of racing. Bought a Crossle for vintage and maybe SCCA but i need a transponder . There seem to be a few choices now. Where is the best deal and which one do I need?
    thanks in advance.
    Hybels

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    Im coming back after a ten year layoff of racing. Bought a Crossle for vintage and maybe SCCA but i need a transponder . There seem to be a few choices now. Where is the best deal and which one do I need?
    thanks in advance.
    This could be a new thread on its own. Only choices I’m aware of are the old discontinued AMB hard-wired units (used units occasionally come on the market for $500+/-), or the current subscription versions (in rechargeable or hard-wired versions).
    Be aware that unlike a 'dormant' cellphone, the transponder is constantly alert and discharging, so charge it up at the last minute before heading to the track, and ideally each night when there.
    Last edited by Lotus7; 02.25.20 at 10:20 AM.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 51

Correction: My friends 2006 Invader has the transponder mounted inside the cockpit on the bottom of the cockpit panel about 8" in front of the dash. He has a fiberglass floor and there is no hole drilled through the floor. I've also seen the transponder mounted on the front bulkhead next to the master cylinders on the F500s.

Liked: 482

This is how mine came on the car. You can see it in pic. It is actually more protected by the nose than it looks. That said, I still may move inside. But it appears to have worked for dozens of races.

Banned
    Liked: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Grossmann View Post
    As the title says; where are poeple mounting their transponders?

Here is the hitch, as I've only been doing two vintage races a year I usually rent one for the weekend. On the Datsun I zip tie it to the tow hook. There is an easy access point on the back of the car with nothing between where the transponder would mount and the ground. I guess my question should be will the floor of the fiberglass nose effect the transponder?

Note it's been 17 years since I've run my own single seater and we didn't use transponders back then.
    On my cars, I mounted it close to the bottom of the frame at the front with some type of metal around it to protect it from stones and such.

The only issue I can see with mounting the transponder in the back of the car is if some some reason the finishing position is determined by time and if your car is side by side with another car that has his or her transponder mounted in front, then that transponder would show that other car to be ahead of yours.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June Spints at RA June 08 pic1.JPG 
Views:	510 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	90620  

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-6 View Post
    The only issue I can see with mounting the transponder in the back of the car is if some some reason the finishing position is determined by time and if your car is side by side with another car that has his or her transponder mounted in front, then that transponder would show that other car to be ahead of yours.
    I once lost a drag race from the final corner to Start/Finish by the exact amount of difference in our mount points. I've had harder lessons.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 82

Richard, Tim this was my thought as well; beat someone by 1/2 a car length but lose because their transponder finished first.

Realistically it's not likely going to matter as I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any other F500s running, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the first person to ever vintage race an F500.

Of course if I inch out someone in another type of car my ego probably wouldn't like being beaten by their transponder!! I try to leave me ego at home as it seems to drive up the cost of racing...………...but very often my ego stows away in the deeper recesses of my brain

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Default Close finish

I finished 0.006 ahead on timing but was 1/2 to 3/4 car length ahead. The closest finish in Cal Club history (at least up to that point) was because my transponder is next to my hip while the other guys was in the front.

T&S folks told me that I would have won either way since they are supposed to visually confirm the winner of the race. If my transponder had failed, I still would have won based on position at the finish line.

In other words, I just put it where it's convienent and least likely to get damaged.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

2009 Pocono double National FF

I won Saturday by .003 and Sunday by .002

I knew EXACTLY when to pull out of the Draft.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 138

Probably why pro series have standard places for transponder.

Notice my PFM was mounted on rear wing. I moved it forward haha

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thread Information