Liked: 31

Default FE2 conversion costs and west coast car counts?

All,

After a few years away I’m kicking the idea around of buying a car (and trailer since I stupidly sold mine) and jumping back into this expensive, and unfortunately addictive sport. I’m a former FC racer and am looking at several potential options including FC, P1/2, and now FE2. I’ve always been a big fan of spec classes, at least on the amateur level, and had a couple of top 3 finishes in SRF in Majors and Super Tour events in 2011 on the West Coast in a friend’s car so I know I’m capable of holding my own in such a class. FE always intrigued me and now that they’ve bumped the power a bit with the MZR and brought in a more reliable gearbox it’s seriously attractive.

It looks like $50k can get you a converted car, or you can pick up an original FE for half that and do the conversion yourself. First question: how does that work? Does Enterprises ship you an entire conversion kit with motor, trans, and whatever else is required or do you need to source your own components? And what’s the total cost of all of the components? Basically I’m asking if it’s more cost effective to do it myself, or if it’s pretty much a wash between converting and buying an already converted car. There would definitely be one big advantage in doing it myself as I’d be getting intimately familiar with the car in the process.

Second question: How are the car counts in the San Francisco region and in western Majors? I’d hate to jump in only to find out there’s one other FE2 running out here. Back in 2010 when I ran my FC I don’t recall there being all that many FEs in the region but as the years pile on the memory is fading!

Thanks for any input and/or wise old sage advice.

-Eric
    Formula Enterprises 2, chassis #009
    A bad day at the track is still better than a good day at the office!

Liked: 94

Car counts for last year's Majors are in this table. You can view other years by changing the number at the end of the URL accordingly.

Liked: 98

San Francisco region participation is available on their Results & Points page. Under "2019 CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS" click on "Regional Points Standings".

In the 2019 season, I see 3 FE cars and 5 FE2 cars showed up.

In this region, it appears that FF, FC, FM, and P2 (in that order) are more popular than FE2.

Nationally, it's a different story--FE+FE2 is the second most popular purpose-built class, after FF.

Greg

Liked: 31

Thanks for the replies. Definitely looks like FE on the left coast could use some help. Jim and Jeff have been racing them forever, as has Brandon. Doesn’t seem like they’re getting any new blood in the class. Looks like I’m moving to Ohio or Wisconsin for decent FE car counts! Either that or start trying to convince some of the FF and FC guys out here that it’s time to take a harder look at FE.
    Formula Enterprises 2, chassis #009
    A bad day at the track is still better than a good day at the office!

Thread Information