Liked: 323

Default Steering Wheel Sealer / Dip ?

If you take a closed top steering wheel and cut the top center section out to make an open top wheel, what do you put on the section that has been cut? I have a steering wheel like this and want some kind of a 'rugged' dip to put over the ends. I have used a rubber type of tool dip in other applications, and I don't think this will stand up to the demands put on this section of the steering wheel.
    Any suggestions of how to 'seal' the cut ends of the steering wheel?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    If you take a closed top steering wheel and cut the top center section out to make an open top wheel, what do you put on the section that has been cut? I have a steering wheel like this and want some kind of a 'rugged' dip to put over the ends. I have used a rubber type of tool dip in other applications, and I don't think this will stand up to the demands put on this section of the steering wheel.
    Any suggestions of how to 'seal' the cut ends of the steering wheel?
    Maybe a cap over the insides...
    https://www.mcmaster.com/end-caps

I would question the integrity of one that was cut though.

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Maybe a cap over the insides...
    https://www.mcmaster.com/end-caps

I would question the integrity of one that was cut though.
    I would worry about the strength too. Cutting it out of a piece designed as a ring structurally might cause trouble with the spokes.

I can't use a butterfly wheel in any case as there is not enough room for my elbows. I have to walk my hands on the wheel when more lock is needed.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

I stripped the swede from the cut out part and superglued it to the cut ends. It lasted until I sold the car.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    I stripped the swede from the cut out part and superglued it to the cut ends.
    M
    One side has exactly this done to it. The other side I will assume at some point had that as well. It is now gone and the hard foam and steel are exposed on that side. I am thinking to get some kind of suede or heavy bottom weight fabric to super glue over that end. Then, I think I want to dip about 3" of each side into something to seal the end. I just don't really know what product would work the best

Liked: 553

I think I used this and it worked well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-D...03-6/202196703
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Mine came with what appeared to be cane tips on the cut ends.

Liked: 319

Default garage art

Unless the wheel in question had sentimental value, like it came off of Gilles Villenueve's F-Atlantic March, I'd buy a new wheel.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 553

Is a formula car steering wheel without the top part of the circle less strong or safe?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Is a formula car steering wheel without the top part of the circle less strong or safe?
    I understand they are banned in the UK (and EU?) for safety reasons.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

My pal uses Seal All to glue the suede down, then paints the visible seam black. Looks fantastic and the Seal All is super tough. He fixed my wheel this way, and it is holding up great

cheers,
    bt

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    My pal uses Seal All to glue the suede down, then paints the visible seam black. Looks fantastic and the Seal All is super tough. He fixed my wheel this way, and it is holding up great

cheers,
    bt
    So, he didn't use this product to coat the end of the wheel? He had cut some of the left over suede into a circular piece and then used this product as a glue to stick those pieces to exposed part of wheel?

I haven't ever heard of this product. Does it cure hard like JB Weld or does it stay a little bit pliable?

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...SAAEgLSA_D_BwE

Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I would worry about the strength too. Cutting it out of a piece designed as a ring structurally might cause trouble with the spokes.

I can't use a butterfly wheel in any case as there is not enough room for my elbows. I have to walk my hands on the wheel when more lock is needed.
    Having dissected a couple of open top wheels that went past there useable life, you could see the saw marks from the factory.....

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The best solution I have found is a JB Weld (black epoxy). You need to do each side separately so you can clamp the wheel with the cut-off face horizontal, then add a blob of epoxy. I expected to need several applications, but do it in one shot, ending up with a gloss black dome on each side. If you shape your blob like a Hershey kiss, it will settle down into a nice shallow dome.

While there may be some sealing involved, I considered it a cosmetic endeavor and was pleasantly surprised by the result.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Correct. It cures pretty hard. Worked great
    bt

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    So, he didn't use this product to coat the end of the wheel? He had cut some of the left over suede into a circular piece and then used this product as a glue to stick those pieces to exposed part of wheel?

I haven't ever heard of this product. Does it cure hard like JB Weld or does it stay a little bit pliable?

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...SAAEgLSA_D_BwE

Thread Information