Liked: 1

Default Titan series 1 belt driven oil pump reseal

Hi, I have been chasing an oil leak on my 2.0 Pinto powered Royale S2000M. I believe it is the oil pump, specifically the rear seal. I got the pump out and on the bench today, when I removed the tach drive off the back of the pump there was oil in there. I see Pegasus offers the O-rings and seals, cant find any info or instructions on proper disassembly / reassembly, anyone got anything like this?
    A search on here didn't turn up much, info. Appears most recommend using some sealer on the O-rings and an assembly lube of some sort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I did remove the rear cover, any thoughts on how to remove the rear seal?
    Also tried to pull the first pump stage off the shaft but it would only move about a 1/4 inch and then stopped hard
    Cheers
    Rob

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Did you take the long bolts that hold the stack together out? I am assuming that you did.

IIRC, the rear seal comes right out with a seal removal tool once the chunk that it is in is off.

I put them back together with the O rings dry, but should not hurt to lube then with a little engine out.

It is very important to get everything back together in the same order front to back, and oriented properly. Mark each section before you lake it further apart.

I can't remember if the shaft has a key in the front for the pulley or not. Also, very very important to put the rotors back in the sections they came out of and facing the same direction.

All I can remember for certain is that it takes lots of fiddling and do not force anything. When you get everything fiddled led just right it will slip apart and back together. When you put it back together, make certain to slowly in little increments tighten the long bolts and check that it is still free after each tweak. If not back them off and try again.

Probably not much help, but this is one of the things that is really fiddly.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Default pump

Thanks Steve, yep it is all marked as someone has had it apart before. Appreciate the input. Yes the 3 thru bolts are out, something is keeping the back section from sliding off, not sure what i am missing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Did you take the long bolts that hold the stack together out? I am assuming that you did.

IIRC, the rear seal comes right out with a seal removal tool once the chunk that it is in is off.

I put them back together with the O rings dry, but should not hurt to lube then with a little engine out.

It is very important to get everything back together in the same order front to back, and oriented properly. Mark each section before you lake it further apart.

I can't remember if the shaft has a key in the front for the pulley or not. Also, very very important to put the rotors back in the sections they came out of and facing the same direction.

All I can remember for certain is that it takes lots of fiddling and do not force anything. When you get everything fiddled led just right it will slip apart and back together. When you put it back together, make certain to slowly in little increments tighten the long bolts and check that it is still free after each tweak. If not back them off and try again.

Probably not much help, but this is one of the things that is really fiddly.

Liked: 0

Is there something that could mechanically do this back there?

Rob, I hope you removed 4 long bolts. One thing I am pretty sure is that there are four of them. But I thinklyou did remove all four and just made a typo.

Default Pump

This is the older series 1 pump, there are only 3 thru bolts holding it together. I am away and cant confirm tonight, but am 99.9% sure there are only 3 unless you are counting the main rotor shaft. The pump segments would rotate freely so all the bolts are removed for sure.
    Cheers

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Rob and Steve, 3-bolts.

Pegasus still carries some Series I parts. You can see some internal images here:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...=F20OPTITPART1

Titan does not seem to show any Series 1 pump info/parts on their website anymore but you could email them for an exploded pictorial pdf?

https://www.titan.uk.net/products/oi...series-2-pumps

Also, I’m sure any of the pro engine builders (Ivey, Butler, Quicksilver, etc.) have all rebuilt hundreds of them as they were very popular long ago. If you call one they would likely help you out.

My 2-cents

Craig

BTW: The last time I had a Series 1 pump apart was from a Royale S2000M SN 005 in ~1990 (Autocross.)

Tells you how long since I had a series I pump.

Default Pump

Thanks Steve and Craig, have the technical drawings now so will give it another look this week. Bought all the parts from Pegasus, so if I can get it apart should be all set.

Craig, any idea were #005 is now? I am racing #008. I know its complete ownership history and most of its race history, am told it won the pro series championship at some point in the early 80's when owned by Steve Ave and driven by William "Bill" O'Conner.

Don't have many spares for this chassis, anyone have anything taking up space that they would like to move?

Cheers
    Rob

Thread Information