Liked: 0

Default FSV Regulations in the last year of Pro series

Hello
    Can any of the experts on here confirm a couple of things for me please?
    The FSV regs for the Pro series states 6" and 8" wheels and VW disks and callipers, these were upgraded to 8" and 10" wheels and race brakes for the 'Atlantic spec' FSV's when the series folded.
    Did the Pro series change to the bigger wheels and better brakes in the last year or so of the championship?
    I have seen reference to this somewhere on Apexspeed, but finding if this is real or a urban myth is difficult.

When the engines were upgraded to 1800, the actual cc's seems to be 1835. How was this achieved? A 1800 VW crank and an overbore to 82.2 seems to be the numbers that work.

Thanks
    Russ

I have found a link to the 1984 regs on the FIA website
    https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/def...egulations.pdf

Surely there must be a copy of the 1989 or 90 rules somewhere?

Liked: 23

I would really like to know this as well.

I have seen photos and video in period of the cars running on the bigger wheels etc so ther must have been some regulationss governing it somewhere
    Cheers
    Ricky
    Ralt RT5 (535)
    Lola T492 (HU17)

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

IIRC, the original FSV was for 1600 cc air-cooled engines and sported 6" & 8" wheels. When the engines changed to the 1800 cc water cooled versions the wheel sizes (and brakes) changed to 8" fronts and 10" rears. No FSV cars were allowed larger wheels than that. When the SCCA started down it's ill-advised road to combine every open-wheel class known to man into a single class, the FSV went away as a class and these cars came under the umbrella of generic Formula Atlantic, hence they could run 10" fronts and 15" rears.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 553

This is from a VERY hazy memory, so it's probably wrong.

Formula Continental (in SCCA Club Racing) in the mid-1980's included several kinds of cars, including air-cooled FSV's, water-cooled FSV's, FF2000 and 1100cc Ford BD-something. When the FF2000 cars started getting more popular and appeared to be the future of the class, water-cooled FSV's were moved to FA and allowed the performance improvers mentioned above (1800cc, wider wheels, bigger brakes).

I don't remember the pro cars having the bigger engines, wheels and brakes (but could be wrong).

I'm interested to hear if my memory might have at least some of that right.

I wonder if Steve Lathrop remembers.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 97

Default Super Vee

We got the bigger wheels and tires in 1988 or 1989. I drove most or all of my 26 Pro SV races on the BBS wheels. They were a sponsor and we had to run the BBS wheels. We never had 1800 cc. That was later when FF2000 took over FC and we were put into Atlantic. Probably mid 90s for the 1800. I know I got a 3rd in FA at the June Sprints with my 84 RT5 in 1993 I think.
    Lovely series, I had no idea how good we had it at the time!
    Skip Weld

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thanks for the info, my RT5 is 1600cc, 8 & 10" wheels with AP brakes.
    The HSCC are starting up a series this year for 80's single seaters, it would be nice if I didn't have to buy new wheels to make it FSV compliant.

Liked: 29

Yes, BBS wheels came on board as a series sponsor, so 8 and 10 wheels where allowed, race brakes became legal. Change from 1600 to 1800 came after the pro series folded. Great series.

Jim Gustafson

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 97

From the sound of it you don't have to do anything to be a proper SV. It sounds good as is.
    Enjoy!
    Skip Weld

Again, thanks for all the guidance. I would still like to get hold of a scan / copy / picture of the rules for the Pro FSV in 89 or 90.
    So if anyone can help?
    Skip, I was watching a couple of old FSV races on youtube, and your name poped up in the results. Well done, that was a tough series to do well in.

Liked: 23

Same from me. I appreciate the experience of those that ran in the day and would like a copy of the regs if they can be found.
    My cars sound same as yours.

It is kinda cool to see both my cars running in the same event simultaneously on the you tube vids.

My cars being 85 Rubio car and Jeff Andretti’s 85 car
    Cheers
    Ricky
    Ralt RT5 (535)
    Lola T492 (HU17)

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    We got the bigger wheels and tires in 1988 or 1989. I drove most or all of my 26 Pro SV races on the BBS wheels. They were a sponsor and we had to run the BBS wheels.
    Skip Weld
    Of course Skip was there and I was not. That being said I was watching the 1990 race on Youtube and it sure looks to me like 6's and 8's on the cars... I have the SCCA rule books for a couple of years but don't remember which. I also can't remember where I put them but will keep looking.

Liked: 9

I found the rule books, 74 and 80 so won't help this discussion but if anyone is interested in copies of the SV section PM me.

Liked: 14

Default SV rules

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    From the sound of it you don't have to do anything to be a proper SV. It sounds good as is.
    Enjoy!
    Skip Weld
    Skip and Jim are correct.
    Thru 1987, we could run club racing in FC, with 6" and 8" wheels, intake restrictions.
    SCCA bumped us into FA for club in 1988, with all the newer Pro SV spec wheels, brakes.....but also allowed up to 1835 cc in early '90's for FA club. 1600cc was always the Pro SV Max.

Mike, Anson

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information