Liked: 530

Default Upgraded wiring in my Lola T91/50 F3000

Question: What does an EE do when he can't drive a race car (because all the body panels are off to paint)?
    Answer: Upgrades the entire electrical system!

Now to be clear, it all ran fine when I acquired it, but as all good engineers know there is often more than one solution to any problem. I replaced all the automotive electro-mechanical relays with a solid state power distribution module and solid state battery disconnect. Made a new set of car harnesses to accompany those devices, as well as my new AIM MXL2 dash logger and sensors (which was what honestly started me on the re-wire project). Then I wrapped it all in some high speed braided high-temp wire loom and cleanly routed and secured the whole mess to minimize chances of electrical issues on track.

Just sharing - hope you enjoy the pics!

For a bit of fun, as if all the re-wiring wasn't fun enough, I added the Lola logo to my dash startup screen

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DEBC889-FABE-45CB-B6FD-247E45303A79.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	90114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B361D78-4576-42FA-8793-97EA6AF2C17D.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	90116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1D3D6B8-4A8C-4BAA-B576-79C44AD4F1FF.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	90118  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A21099FA-D856-4A47-A357-48DCAF297F1F.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	90120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	631F4019-E94F-4CB0-B7A0-13B1D3A53E9E.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	90121  

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 384

nice work Mike.
    I'm right behind you with my new project.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Nice! Now I have reference for two FFs that need to get completed at my house!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 141

Quote - "replaced all the automotive relays with a solid state power distribution module"
    - if I had know what one of those was I might have used one 10 years aago.

Intrigued that you like the big sweep tach - I always found that a small tach and a shift light or lights were better.
    If you want to do the same I think I know where one is!

Derek,
    the PDM is great. Not only does it replace the mechanical relays but it also serves the circuit protection function, eliminating many fuses. The little unit I found from Rowe Electronics is programmable so you can set the current limit on six different circuits, up to 20A each. Up to 60A total simultaneous load handling. 3 inputs to trigger however you want the six outputs to behave.

Dash - yes I prefer a large tach. This AIM unit also has 10 programmable shift lights that can be sequenced in very flexible ways and also can be different for each gear. Can also program alarms for many different warnings or important information. Analog gauges are great in my ‘64 Corvette. Out on the race track though I enjoy having the computer in front of me.

cheers!

Liked: 139

Maybe we should start a Buick club.

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    I’m in! My wife would think it’s hilarious. She loves talking about how I’m getting old cuz I drive a Buick now.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

Default Buick club, RALT ROUNDUP

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    You should start a Buick Club. I had a 1987 Regal Grand National for a year and went to Laguna and saw the IRL Buicks run. They made quite a sound, and it seemed like they were being short-shifted like they had a low redline or a rev limiter. (I guess I wanted to hear that V6 rev more...)

I started the Brabham Register in 1978 and the March Owners Register in 1985.
    I am now restoring a Ralt RT-1 supervee so now its time to start the RALT ROUNDUP.
    Contact me at brabworld@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by johnhafkenschiel View Post
    You should start a Buick Club. I had a 1987 Regal Grand National for a year and went to Laguna and saw the IRL Buicks run. They made quite a sound, and it seemed like they were being short-shifted like they had a low redline or a rev limiter. (I guess I wanted to hear that V6 rev more...)

I started the Brabham Register in 1978 and the March Owners Register in 1985.
    I am now restoring a Ralt RT-1 supervee so now its time to start the RALT ROUNDUP.
    Contact me at brabworld@sbcglobal.net
    Indeed the lights engines were limited to 7200rpm for the series. That put them at about 425hp. Word is they'll spin to 8500 and make over 500hp on the way there. I haven't had a chance to talk with George Montgomery or Brayton Engineering yet to see what that does to longevity. The motors make a ton of torque so you don't really need to run them at high rpm but it would be nice to know if it is an option if needed to avoid a shift at an awkward time or hold 4th or 5th gear longer if needed.

Thread Information