Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Frame blasting media

Gents;

Plenty horror stories out there about sand blasting powder coat off with sand causing irreparable chassis damage.

So, any experience on a plastic / silica media that cuts easily without the heat?

V/r

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Its probably available under several other names, but I remember using naval jelly paint remover on powdercoat with good (but slightly messy) results. You could try that and get rid of 95% of the powdercoat without too much trouble. The remaining areas getting bead blasted shouldn't be significantly affected.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

i did a block once with standard polyester powdercoat, and it came off extremely easily with regular old paint remover - and it came off in sheets.

The epoxy powdercoat I used on my frame though, I don't see that coming off easily.

why not start with paint remover, and if it doesn't work/too slow, go to sandblasting, but keep the exposure low - lots of short passes.

Go after the remaining bits with walnut shells

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Used to be a body shop up past Century on 4 lane connector from 29 to 65, who did plastic media blasting.. did my GP Spit 20 yrs ago... don't know name or if still there...was east off that last connector out in the country... Also, used to be a blaster over in Milton doing plastic. Plus a soda and CO2 outfits at one time....... again been a while since I looked. So all may not exist... Think there was one of the dustless blaster franchisee in our area too... they come to you...as did those CO2 and soda guys...

Phillips welding west off 29, on south of Tate school, does sand blasting. Did good job on my Lola CF added hoops last summer, nothing damaged. Fellow with powder coating operation over in Baldwin county, north of 10 at new Beach Express (Bucky's) exit...does blasting (indoors) and powder coating, up to 10 x 30. Did my Lotus 11 clone frame...about 7 yrs ago...blast and coating was around 700 bucks then..

Best contact some of the local hot rod, tuner, british car, or other clubs and ask.... as well as some local searching...

Bob L.

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Mobile Paint Stripping

Rick -

Absolute Dustless Blasting LLC.I got a card from this guy that does mobile blasting.
    He comes to you. It was a while back .

Card says call for a free quote. He's on FB, if you are:
    https://www.facebook.com/absolutedustlessblastingllc/
    based in Navarre: http://850dustlessblasting.com/home

I'll text you after "sun-up.'

Cheers - Jim
    Last edited by phantomjock; 01.31.20 at 7:05 AM. Reason: correct web presence
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Thread Information