Liked: 24

Default 1972 Merlyn Mk20A Setup

Hey guys-I need some help here and my searches have not found any answers. I got this barn find car running last season-and made 2 races with the car. This year, I am replacing all of the suspension bolts with AN hardware as well as the bushings. I also replaced the original shocks with steel AVO shocks. What I need now is help on setup. Ride height front/rear, Dunlop starting tire pressures, and camber settings. I am also wondering if there is a torque setting for the front A arm bolts-as they seem to bind the whole suspension if I get them too tight. With the new shocks it also site way high up front now-I need to learn how to adjust these things. My Austin Healey racer is much easier to set up!

Liked: 146

I can help you with the shocks. To lower, just wind the bottom perch down. If its still too high, your springs are too long, and or the shocks are too long.

Liked: 40

"I am also wondering if there is a torque setting for the front A arm bolts-as they seem to bind the whole suspension if I get them too tight."

You need to ensure that the centre bush (the metal part) is correct length for gap it's going into between chassis brackets, otherwise you are clamping the chassis against the acetal/nylon bushes and therefore binding up the wishbone. They do take a bit of messing about with so as to get them to act correctly as a bearing without slop or binding up.

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Velodrome Racer View Post
    Hey guys-I need some help here and my searches have not found any answers. I got this barn find car running last season-and made 2 races with the car. This year, I am replacing all of the suspension bolts with AN hardware as well as the bushings. I also replaced the original shocks with steel AVO shocks. What I need now is help on setup. Ride height front/rear, Dunlop starting tire pressures, and camber settings. I am also wondering if there is a torque setting for the front A arm bolts-as they seem to bind the whole suspension if I get them too tight. With the new shocks it also site way high up front now-I need to learn how to adjust these things. My Austin Healey racer is much easier to set up!
    Send me your e-mail address and I can send you the original setup from distributor. boakey@design3eng.com

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 490

Default ff

With modern tires and tracks we are running the cars much stiffer and therefore much lower than the original set up. Ride heights are generally, lower the car until it starts to bottom and then raise it until it stops.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information